Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being a first year AS politics student, could someone answer me this...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been taught that "citizenship can ensure the smooth running of the state, where people can be law abiding", but the idea wasn't explored in any detail. Would someone be kind enough to fill me in on how?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The question is too amibigous.

Perhaps it means that if a person knows their rights (and duties) then that leads to a cohesive society.
    Re: Being a first year AS politics student, could someone answer me this...
    Originally posted by Dreamer3k
    I've been taught that "citizenship can ensure the smooth running of the state, where people can be law abiding", but the idea wasn't explored in any detail. Would someone be kind enough to fill me in on how?

Like with any statement, you must understand what is meant by each term in order for it to make sense.

In this case, I suppose that "citizenship" would mean being a participant in, and a proud, included, member of the state. This would impact on the state machine and law and order in separate ways.

If people feel included by the state, and protected by the state, then they are much more likely to obey the laws of the state. Crime seems to be propagated more by those who feel disenfranchised or disenchanted by the state, eitehr fiscally or politically, or indeed both. Therefore if these people are not disenfranchised and disenchanted, they will be much more likely to obey the law.

As well as this, people who are comfortable with the state will a) participate in politics much more, i.e. voter apathy will not be a prevalent political problem; and b) those comfortable with the state are less intrusive into the state machine, meaning that questioning of state acts is less prevalent and less fierce, which allows the state to carry out its acts without as much fuss surrounding them.

Hope this helps, but as with any statement of this nature it is very important to understand what is meant by the discourse in order to understand what the sentiment is. Be inquisitive about what ANY word means, and you will do well in A'Levels, degrees and in general everyday life.

*thinks like a guy reading law and politics at durham :lol:*
    Thanks Kermit!:thumb: