Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going to Uni, but not living there

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i really need some advice. i am getting so nervous now i'm about to start uni. i am really really scared. mainly because i think i'm not going to meet new friends because i'm not living there. i'm going to birmingham uni and because i live quite near i thought it would be cheaper, and easier to just travel there!
so i need some advice, do i rack up the debt and just move there or stay at home? will i really miss out that much?
HELP ME!please i'm so confused! i know i'm too late to get a place in halls but..oh i'm so confused!:confused::confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm going into third year at uni, I'm still living at home and travelling everyday, I've never missed out on anything, and making friends has never been a problem. A lot of my friends travel aswell but some stay. If you are happy staying at home, then great, stay at home.

In some ways I found it easier because I knew I could come back to familiar surroundings at the end of the day, or stay and go out if I wanted to.

Both have their advantages, but I wouldn't advise moving out if you have any doubts about it, I know one girl who was like that and she ended up moving home again after two and a half weeks.

You have to make a decision which is right for you.
  • Options
    I haven't experienced either, but I'd go for living there for the independance. I plan to study at Glasgow next year and, being only 30 or so minutes away, it would be sensible just to stay at home. However, I'm keen on getting accomodation in the city just for the freedom.

Whether I can hack it is a totally different issue though!
  • Options
    I live 10 miles from where I went to university but they stated that in order to accept a place there I would have to live in one of their colleges.
    I didn't want to move there, after all ten miles isn't very far.

I spent all my student loan on bus fares and most of my free time pining for my boyfriend and mates, who were so close to me but couldn't get a bus to see me etc.

So, if you're going to a uni close to home I would personally advise you to live at home. It is cheaper, you can still see your mates but it won't stop you making friends with the people you meet ay university, really it won't. The thing that stopped me making friends (apart from the fact I had nothing in common with any of them, lol) was the fact I spent all my time going home to see my other mates!
  • Options
    hi,thanks for the advice.
    i was really having a panic attack about everything yesterday, today i'm feeling a little more confident. i just felt like that when i go to uni,everyone would already know each other and i'd be the one left out! it's madness to think everyone is going to know each other and that everyone will know what they are doing, i suppose everyone is in the same boat as me!
    thanks again for the advice.
  • Options
    don't worry about it, i felt exactly the same but i also knew i didnt want to go and live away, Im only half an hour from uni, and as you said yourself everyone is in the same boat and everyone will be worrying about the same things. My advice to you would be just talk to people, the more you talk to people the easier it will be, and dont be afraid to. Im sure the other person will be glad of it too.
  • Options
    i have to say, i lived at home for my first year and i didn't have any friends til christmas :/

i made some in the end though, but i did feel like i missed out on all the fun they had in the halls.

i suppose it's different for everyone.
  • Options
    hey im in the same boat as u, starting bham uni this year and living @ home.

so drop me a msg. :)

Olivia
  • Options
    im a bit worried about it bcoz im not in halls in bham!But i dont think it means u have to miss out.what u studying?
  • Options
    i'm doing sustainable technology @ bham. wot about u stangoc?

stangoc - where r u living then?

i live in sutton coldfield

:)
  • Options
    sorry to bring this up but i am really scared now, since seeing something on another thread people only ever tend to advise you on making friends in halls, but what about if im living 3 miles away? i can get transport and its a perfect course so why should i have moved more than 60 miles away for a less better course?

Still i would like to see a little advice on how i should cope?:(
  • Options
    i'm not living there either but am not bothered at all by it. i admit it would be easier to meet people living in the halls, you're next door neighbours for a year after all. i'm sure you can still make friends though! okay, you can't really decide to go out at night on the spur of the moment but you'll still be meeting people. i suppose people like us just have to push themselves to make an extra effort. in a way i'm glad i'm still gonna be here. i'm not too sure i'd like living in halls, they can be noisy, rooms small, etc. there'll be people to chat to and potential friends everywhere. i'm sure you'll be fine :)
  • Options
    I'm worried as well. I've got to take the tube for an hour everyday to get to uni bc i'm on the waiting list for accomdation.

Do you think i'll miss all those parties in the halls? And getting back home from freshers fortnight is going to be hell.