Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

'Bobbies on the beat'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
To be fair one seldom does see police officers on patrol in neighbourhoods. Are such policemen a genuine deterrent to criminals? Or do they simply make people in communities feel safer?

Personally I feel that the police are burdened with too much red tape. If this were lessened then perhaps policemen could patrol local communities.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does that mean that you think they are a deterrent?

Surely you have two different issues going on there. One about the deterrence value of the beat, the second about the amount of paperwork.
    Bobbies on the beat, well I think its more a community thing. I cant speak for anywhere else but here you dont see them that often so they dont actually deter criminals.
    the modern beat should be done in cars ...seeing as most burglars and such are in cars. big shopping centres are privately policed nowadays.
    someone recently told me ...maybe on here ...that traffic cops are having a big impact on crime. the fact they are pulling over suspicious looking people and old bangers often leads them to a boot full of loot or drugs ...how true this is i don't know.
    one things for sure ...all those coppers sat in all those camera vans aint catching anyone apart from speedsters ...usualy in places where a bit of speed aint so dangerous. i never seem to see camera vans lurking around housing estates ...schools, parks and such like.
    Sure the police are around, they've all gone undercover to arrest teenagers smoking harmless cannabis so they can get a Christmas bonus. No... seriously :eek2:
    There's a huge police prescense in Bradford. Well, there was not so long ago.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Does that mean that you think they are a deterrent?

No, I'm asking the question.

Surely you have two different issues going on there. One about the deterrence value of the beat, the second about the amount of paperwork.

Surely you like to read between the lines and see nothing.
    Theres hardly ever a Bobby on the beat anymore here. Id feel safer though.

Traffic wardens in Edinburgh on the otherhand...

The things they've ticketed:
    1. A hearse
    2. An Ambulance
    3. A person in a disabled bay for having their badge upside down
    4. And many others. *goes to find newspaper article*

Traffic Warden Nasty
    Originally posted by monocrat
    No, I'm asking the question.

Really?

You suggested (as a personal preference) that red tape should be reduced, then more policemen could patrol. This suggests that you think there is a benefit to be gained from police patrols.
    Surely you like to read between the lines and see nothing.

Sorry, but you are linking two issues, or can't you see that?

If police patrols are beneficial then the amount of "red tape" matters. Or should we look at having more policemen, to allow the amount of (arguably reasonable) paperwork to be completed...

In otherwords red tape doesn't have to be reduced.
    The police definitely act as a deterrent, maybe even a subconscious thing such as seeing the cars regularly remind you that they exist. Red tape does reduce the amount of time they can spend on the beat, but a bigger problem, as moonrat mentioned, is targets - sometimes they target more minor crimes just to improve their statistics.

To change the subject slightly, it's all very well saying we need more police on the beat, but would any of you consider becoming a policeman? Possibly just as a special constable?