Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I know where you live!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
CCTV is strating to integrate with suspect databases and use face matching technology to aware police and camera operators of people to watch. It can also help identify people at the scene of a crime for witness statments. Currently the only pictures used are from police databases.
The majority of mobile phone companies are able to track your mobile to within 5 feet in built up areas using cell positioning. To do this the more modern phones dont even need to be switched on! This information can be used by police to locate missing children, drug dealers etc.
The Governments new entitlment cards are rumored to be using biometric identifcation (fingerprints or retinal scans) alongside a digital photograph.
Banks use software to monitor our spending habbits and direct attention to any odd trends. If you spend £20 a week and suddenly start making withdrawals of £500 the bank will contact you and ask if your card has been stolen and if you have made the transations. Police also have access to your accounts to see if you have made substantial deposits, withdrawals.

With CCTV, Mobile Tracking, ID cards (entitlement cards), bank statments etc all become more available and interlinked. Are we denied privacy?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, we are not. Why the number of psychos roaming the streets, I think that sensible precautionary measures are being taken.

Aware is not a verb.
    Re: I know where you live!
    Originally posted by Adiss

Banks use software to monitor our spending habbits and direct attention to any odd trends. If you spend £20 a week and suddenly start making withdrawals of £500 the bank will contact you and ask if your card has been stolen and if you have made the transations.

and you would not thank them for doing that if your wallet had been stolen without your knowledge and your bank card had been used to withdraw money? :rolleyes:

This world is a bad place now, only yesterday a pensioner was mugged of her pension. If there had been CCTV in that street do you think the cuplrit would have mugged her and knocked her to the floor ? :rolleyes:

Need I say any more ?
    CCTV violates freedom. What RIGHT does the state have to monitor your movements?

Of course there is the argument that if 'you're doing nothing wrong then you shouldn't worry'. That's a nonsense, since the police in all good logic shouldn't focus on those NOT committing crime.
    Originally posted by monocrat
    CCTV violates freedom. What RIGHT does the state have to monitor your movements?

Your entitled to your opinion, but I beleive CCTV makes this world a bit safer. If someone is going to pick pocket me chances are they will do it where there is no CCTV, lets face it criminals are not stupid are they.
    Here's an example...

Ok you apply for a job in government and they run your face through their citys CCTV as a background check and suddenly a video of you at an anti war demonstration that got a little nasty. Then they have a little scan at your bank and see www.naughtgirls.com subscriptions. They track you movement via your mobile and see you go to a couple of strip clubs.

I know what you instantly thinking ... oh they're not allowed to do that. But they do that with your information already, I have run background checks on employees for the government before. Checking their NHS records for good health, Tax affairs to check out what past experience people have, driving licences/parking tickets, court appearences the list of data is huge! Now that they are getting more and more information do you really need to turn up for the interview anymore??

Is this really fair?
    Originally posted by Adiss
    Here's an example...

Ok you apply for a job in government and they run your face through their citys CCTV as a background check and suddenly a video of you at an anti war demonstration that got a little nasty. Then they have a little scan at your bank and see www.naughtgirls.com subscriptions. They track you movement via your mobile and see you go to a couple of strip clubs.

I know what you instantly thinking ... oh they're not allowed to do that. But they do that with your information already, I have run background checks on employees for the government before. Checking their NHS records for good health, Tax affairs to check out what past experience people have, driving licences/parking tickets, court appearences the list of data is huge! Now that they are getting more and more information do you really need to turn up for the interview anymore??

Is this really fair?

Absolutely. You want to ensure that you hire the right person for the job. It's this sort of monitoring that will prevent convicted child abusers from obtaining jobs as teachers.

The only people who are afraid of this sort of thing, are those who have something to hide.
    Well not quite. It makes sense to check that someone who is applying for a job involving children has got no sex convinctions. But it stops there. No one gives anybody the right to check medical records or any other issues.
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    Absolutely. You want to ensure that you hire the right person for the job. It's this sort of monitoring that will prevent convicted child abusers from obtaining jobs as teachers.

The only people who are afraid of this sort of thing, are those who have something to hide.

What if you have AIDS?
    What if CCTV footage of you practicing homosexual acts?

Society have preconcived ideas about this and desciminates, if given the information can they truely make an informed decision?
    Originally posted by squat_tom

Do you know what it is you have to hide?

Your comments here (on this site) could be used against you at some time in the future. Are you happy with every e-mail you have ever sent, that none of them could be used by someone with an ulterior motive.

Remember, just because something is legal now doesn't mean it will be in the future...

@ Becky. You are right, the mugger probably wouldn't have mugged the old lady there. He'd have gone around the corner and mugged someone else. All CCTV does is move crime, not stop it.

If CCTV stopped crime, why are the figures rising?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    All CCTV does is move crime, not stop it.

Spot on!
    I know where you live...I said that to a tramp once
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    I know where you live...I said that to a tramp once
    :lol:
    Do you know what it is you have to hide?

Your comments here (on this site) could be used against you at some time in the future. Are you happy with every e-mail you have ever sent, that none of them could be used by someone with an ulterior motive.

Remember, just because something is legal now doesn't mean it will be in the future...

@ Becky. You are right, the mugger probably wouldn't have mugged the old lady there. He'd have gone around the corner and mugged someone else. All CCTV does is move crime, not stop it.

If CCTV stopped crime, why are the figures rising?

Too true, in Bristol this week it was revealed that policing and CCTV in one area had displaced much of the previous crime there to an adjacent area.

It may seem like a good idea for us to lose personal freedoms or privacy to fight crime/terrorism but different people have different agendas. What you think is ok, is a crime or sin to everybody against you.

Our telephones/emails/letters could reveal something that would count against us to the person who has access.

Ask yourself even if you would be happy to post as freely as you do now, if you knew your employer or a government agency was actively reading the messages and knew who you were.

I wouldn't but yet I can't think of any occaision since I joined the Site that I have mentioned anything I could get prosecuted for.

If the police can produce reasonable evidence, they can legally search your house the law is there to ensure this is not abused. If they wish to tap phones or monitor the emails of suspects let them go through the same procedures. This is not a police state.

On the subject of stopping child abusers working with kids, many jobs like this already require you to undergo police checks. I worked as a taxi driver ten years ago and to obtain a taxi licence had to do this. You take a form to the police station they check for convictions and they send it on the authorities to prevent you altering it, its that simple.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Your entitled to your opinion, but I beleive CCTV makes this world a bit safer. If someone is going to pick pocket me chances are they will do it where there is no CCTV, lets face it criminals are not stupid are they.

I doubt CCTV is much of a visible deterrent. People who commit assaults for example are still caught on CCTV.
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    I wouldn't but yet I can't think of any occaision since I joined the Site that I have mentioned anything I could get prosecuted for.

If the police can produce reasonable evidence, they can legally search your house the law is there to ensure this is not abused. If they wish to tap phones or monitor the emails of suspects let them go through the same procedures. This is not a police state.

Like you I haven't posted anything which suggestes illegal activity but I have been critical of this Govt and the US.

Whilst we don't live in a police state yet, there are signs that such a state is coming - with "Big Brother" just being a part of that. What is to stop comments I make today coming back to haunt me later...

I don't like Rats either :(

If CCTV stopped crime, why are the figures rising? [/B]

Well it proves my point CCTV does work. The reason crime has rissen is because they do the crime where theres no cameras watching them.