Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

On the recycling theme again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today, my local council left us a load of new boxes, bags and bins for recycling. We now have 2 wheelie bins (one for rubbish, one for garden waste), a black box for cans and bottles, a blue bag for newspapers and magazines, and a white bag for clothes and shoes.

I think this is a great idea, because I do feel guilty about throwing things away that can be recycled. But I'm wondering if it will actually catch on? Or will people be too lazy to sort out their rubbish?

I know my dad doesn't really like these schemes. We used to have a newspaper collection service run by a private company, but my dad refused to do it because he didn't like having bags of newspapers cluttering up the house, waiting for collection day.

I know some other people already have these schemes? What do you think?

Comments

• JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Councils have already started talking about charging private homes if they produce excess rubbish (whatever they deem that to be).

I think that it is inevitable that landfill will become more expensive than recycling, and if there are recycling schemes in place before charges are introduced people will get used to the idea.

As long as we get the option to recycle before they start charging, because it still not an option in a lot of places! As people aren't recycling, for a whole variety of reasons, I don't think charges are such a bad idea, and it will cut out the laziness factor to an extent, as people will have a reason to be bothered.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, that's very true. The local people here have just won a campaign against a landfill site that they were proposing to create near the village. I just hope they realise that in order to truly cpmbat landfill, they need to do more recycling :)
    when i was a kid everyones mum had shopping bags ...invest in a couple and you won't need plastic bags. and or take your shopping home in a cardboard box. shopping bags are a very simple idea that makes a big impact.
    We have used our own cloth bags at the supermarket for a long time now, at sainsbury they are meant to give you 1p for every own bag you use (except you normally have to ask)

out recycling scheme is just put it all in the green bin - all mixed up, whatever (which sounds easier than putting it all in different bags) and people actually sort it out in a factory -
    they need to do this anyway because people put all sorts of thing in the bin they shouldn't.

devon recycling is up 23% from last year (up from what I've no idea, but it makes us feel like we helping...)
    We're getting all this stuff but often I get confused if things are recycleable or not! Plus people are lazy!
    Re: On the recycling theme again
    Originally posted by KoolCat

I know some other people already have these schemes? What do you think?

I think our area did it totally the wrong way. It must have cost them an absolute fortune in buying them boxes for people to toss them outside and let kids use them as toys, or kids to chuck them down the park. Everywhere I go I see these green boxes or hear of different uses people have made of them.

So although good to recycle the councils should have asked people if they would recycle and if they did, would they like a box. Also they give these boxes out but they have no lids and if you want a lid it costs you £2.50.........rip off.
    I was talking to my family about this at tea-time, and all of them just said "Soon we're not going to have any room left on the drive cos we'll be overrun with bins and boxes."

My mum was a bit annoyed with it because all the different bins get collected on different days, so it's going to be hard to remember what bin goes out on what day. Although they have given us a handy collection calendar.

Still though, I think it's a good idea. It's surely the best way to encourage people to recycle more?
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    "Soon we're not going to have any room left on the drive cos we'll be overrun with bins and boxes."

and then they probably throw it all in the same hole in the ground anyway!
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    and then they probably throw it all in the same hole in the ground anyway!

Heh, maybe. Actually my village has just won a campaign to stop them creating a landfill site near us, so I think the people here had better bloody start recycling!