Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nationality

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, to make what im asking easier im going to use me as an example:p I was born in Wales, and both my parents are welsh, so im welsh right? But I have been in england for 11 years. A person i know told me that that means im now english. This isnt true is it? Id certainly hope not! Answers maybe? please?

(Sorry im not sure if this is where i should put this, but i doubt id get much response in Anything Goes)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Technically your nationality is British.
    Id think you were Welsh, because of your accent.
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Technically your nationality is British.
    :yeees:
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Id think you were Welsh, because of your accent.

ive lost that, ages ago. So you cant tel by hearing me.
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    ive lost that, ages ago. So you cant tel by hearing me.

Then id still think you were Welsh because you were born there.

Take a friend of mine she is English but she now lives in Germany, but she is still English isnt she ? she has been out there for quite a few years, although I have totally lost contact with her now :(
    Well what nationality do you feel most comfortable with?

I was born in England, but have lived 19 years in Wales and speak a little Welsh, so I call myself Welsh.
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Well what nationality do you feel most comfortable with?

I was born in England, but have lived 19 years in Wales and speak a little Welsh, so I call myself Welsh.

Well personally i beleive im always going to be Welsh. Just my english freinds seem to think different. (Though the girl who said im techincally english is Half Irish/Half Ukranian and sees herself as english, i think)
    You were born in Wales so then you will be Welsh for the rest of yor life. Even if you were born one day and moved to England the next your technically still Welsh because you were born there............I think :D
    Depends on what your passport staes, if you're searching for the correct term.

Though I know where you're from.
    Dad Polish, mom Israeli, I was born in Denmark and have lived here all my life. But I do not look Danish, andI'll always get asked where I am from, and what I am. Which is a hard question to answer as I have no clue myself.
    i'm an english man who has lived in wales for about 15yrs ...i'll never be welsh though, how could i be?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i'm an english man who has lived in wales for about 15yrs ...i'll never be welsh though, how could i be?

So i was right then :hyper:
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Depends on what your passport staes, if you're searching for the correct term.

Though I know where you're from.
    Dad Polish, mom Israeli, I was born in Denmark and have lived here all my life. But I do not look Danish, andI'll always get asked where I am from, and what I am. Which is a hard question to answer as I have no clue myself.

I see similarities with myself, almost.

My parents are Jamaican, I was born in England. I have always been asked the same questions and used to be a bit confused over my identity.

The way I see it, is that I am English, you are Danish. If anybody has an issue with that its there problem. I am comfortable now with who I am. ;)
    You're Welsh :yes:
    You're whatever you want to be!
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I have dual nationality and two passports, and now that I have spent long enough in both countries to feel comfortable, it all depends on where I am, who I am talking to and what suits me best at the time as to what nationality I say I am.

When I'm travelling, the passport I use depends on which one the country I am travelling to is friendlier towards!!

I am fortunate that the two countries are culturally similar and I don't have much of an accent, it is quite easy for me.....
    What countries would those be, if you don't mind my asking?
    Not at all. My dad was born in England of Irish parents and emigrated to Australia by ship when he was 6. My mum was born in Australia, but thanks to an antiquated law of paternal descent I was able to apply for a British Passport and still keep my Australian one.
    And you work for a Kiwi.

That must really suck :D
    We have come to an understanding....:p
    Theres something about belonging to a nationality and being domiciled there ... my accountant tried explaining it to me but I went cross-eyed.

You can get a passport if your domiciled in a different country but you still belong to the country of your birth (apart from in circumstanced)

.... *trots of to the gov website to read up on domiciled law*
    Well I was born in Birminghanm to two English parents ut moved to Wales when I was 7, learned Welsh and if anyone asks I say I am Welsh...After that I'm British but I count my nationality as Welsh because thats what I feel I am. If there was a way to legally re-patriate myself I would choose to be welsh