Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Resign

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Methinks he might stay- or be asked to stay- until the Hutton Inquiry is finished so Blair can use him for that as well. One-resignation-does-it-all.
    *looks for the poll to vote*

yes
    Originally posted by hobbs
    *looks for the poll to vote*

yes

It wasn't a poll because there is no reason for him to stay.

Long term that is, bearing in mind Aladdin's comments.

That said, I did advocate his resignation a while ago, alongside a certain journo...
    Politicians have very little sense of integrity or morals, I would be surprised if he resigned.
    Hoon is, was, and always will be the fall guy. He'll go at some point, whether he jumps or is pushed.
    I'm actually not sure if Hoon will resign. He probably will and I'll be wrong but surely if Hoon goes there is then the golden opportunity for people to say Blair should resign aswell? Blair said effectively "the buck stops with him" to Lord Hutton and if Hoon resigns the government is therefore admitting culpability in the death of David Kelly and so logically Blair should go too. Also once those who have been calling for resignations get blood through Hoon's resignations won't that just encourage them to call for Blair's resignation. Blair is also heavily involved in the dodgy dossier scandal with the 45 minute claim and biological and chemical weapons which means he lied to Parliament and the country, surely a resigning issue?

I would actually expect the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Defence to get the sack after Lord Hutton reports. Hoon has said he "knew nothing" and it is the permanent secretary's job to keep his minister informed and if he fails he should therefore be sacked. Then I suspect there would be a reshuffle a month or so after Hutton reports and Hoon will be shunted to a lower post and gradually eased out.