Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

need help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i never really truely believed that i was addicted to cocaine, but now i cant get it much anymore (no job and no bf to provide for me- at first it was ok i could still afford to buy it for myself for a few weeks, now i cant) and its really taken its toll, its horrible, been close to tears on so many occasions. Its hit me that even though i havent taken it all day every day for a year now, i do need it, even though i could cope with having it just a few times a week hasnt made me any less addicted. I guess im just looking for advice really. Never thought i was as dependent as it turns out i am, when you have no problems getting it you dont notice what a big part it plays in your life. :(

Edited to add- ive not had any since last friday-

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Get a job?
    Hi i think your lucky in away that you cant afford it cos if you could youd just blow every penny you had on it am i right ? When you say youre dependant on it you arnt realy its your mind thinking you are.If you were dependant on it (such as on heroin) you`d have to have it every day whether you`d got the money or not.Thats why alot (not all) turn to crime which from what you say you havent.
    Well surley thats a good thing and youve realized that you have a problem so if i was you id get off it now before it gets any worse which in time it will.If not your gunna end up having to turn to some illegal means of supporting it which brings along with it prison ect and you dont want that do ya.??
    Dont get me wrong iam not one of these anti drugs people whove never had drugs and dont know what there on about which is normally the case.I take amphetamine most days and although ive got a job and have NEVER stole to feed my habit ive always been able to afford it yet still iam going to prison in two weeks,not for anything to do with drugs but am just saying you dont want to end up down that road honest.
    The best advice i can give you is get off it now while you still can and before it gets you and takes all ya money.What you do in the end of coarse is up to you but good luck in what you decide xx
    minx; did u try smoking more bud to take your mind off coke or drink.

I noticed over the summer whenever i didn't have cannabis the days were alot longer and boring, but i have come to overcome that, having no cannabis is no big deal anymore, the key is to make up your time, do other things, watch videos, play sports, defitnley get a job and try your hardest not to blow it on cocaine, if you have a job more of your time is spent away from drugs and you won't think about it as much,trust me you won't.

best of luck to you anyway whatever you do....wouldn't we all like to have free drugs and just live the free life but it can't always be like that.

Cocaine is something i thought i would never try but if i was at a party or somewhere and someone offered me a line of it for free i wouldn't say no.
    Lil-minx; I cant say I'm surprised, I did see in you my reaction to speed when I was first doing it.

I would say that in some ways addiction to speed or coke is harder to quit long term than a physical addiction, because that mind set is with you for a long time.

I would say, go to your doctor, explain the situation, they wont judge you and they wont report you in ANY way. You will probally get refered to treatment, but this wont be anything heavy, it will be just someone who knows what they are talking about chatting with you. I've been refered like this for my sleeping problems and it was totaly fine.
    Also in the mean time he/she probally will take pity on you and give you something to sleep at night.

It does get easier, it takes a while but it will get easier, its hard to do but dont touch it at all.
    try this

http://www.drugscope.org.uk/drugbaseii/search.asp

use the link above to find a sympathetic service - some are better than others, try and find one that isn't NHS but "non Statutory"

I might know of one in your area if you want to tell me where that is.

You might find that ear acupuncture really helps, plus talking to a professional who will respect you and find out how you can help yourself.
    good luck
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Re: try this
    Originally posted by hobbs
    ear acupuncture

WTF?

Am I the only one that's never heard of this? ...what does it involve? ...sticking a fuck off big needle in your ear to cure your addiction? ...or is it just the threat of sticking a fuck off big needle in your ear that makes sure you'll never touch the stuff again?
    Weekender Offender 
    WTF

Ear or Aricular Acupuncture is widley used by drug treatment agencies, prisons, probation, NHS, etc to help people who have problematic drug use, cravings, addiction and withdrawal discomfort
    simply enter the words in to google and see... or try the following

http://www.cocaine-addiction.co.uk/auricular_acupuncture.htm

http://www.auricularacupuncture.org.uk/

http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/archives2000/oct/10cocaine.html

http://cira.med.yale.edu/research/auriacupuncture.html

http://acupuncture.com/Research/addictres.htm

http://www.drugabuse.gov/MedAdv/00/NR8-13.html

I could go on and on, but hopefully by the first tow you will get a clearer picture
    Accupunture can work with smoking which is an addiction so why not drugs?

Sorry lil minx I cannot give advice because ive never been there, but just wanted to back up the accupuncture bit :)
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Here is the info page on addiction and breaking free, for those who are interested in finding out more.

Lil minx, recognising that you have a problem is the first and possibly the hardest step to take, and you have been really brave in admitting it and asking for help. You are a strong lady!

Of course you are going to be upset and moody, which is why I'd really urge you to talk to someone to make this as easy as possible for yourself. You could start off by calling some help lines, check out drugscope as Hobbs mentioned, and here are some more -

Release
    Advice, counselling and information, on drug health, welfare and legal issues.
    Helpline: 020 7603 8654

FRANK
    Free confidential advice, information and help about drugs. Open 24 hours a day. They can refer you onto local drug services and send out free literature.
    Helpline: 0800 776600
    http://www.talktofrank.com

Lifeline Drugs
    Helpline providing advice, information and support for drug users, their partners, families and friends.
    Helpline: 0800 716701

At least these are anonymous so you can check out all your options and feel no pressure. Just remember, these services are set up to help you and you shouldn't feel intimidated.

Feel free to PM me if you want to, and at least call someone and have a chat?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Hobbs is right, but in answer to Skive's post - Acupuncture can't cure addiction but it can make the symptoms of withdrawl more bearable and positively affect your state of mind. We have a page on it here if you want to find out a bit more generally, or check out Hobbs' more extensive collection.
    thanks, and thanks LadyJade. ill read the page in a second. the same day i wrote that post i went out and a friend of mine who had quit cocaine the night before gave me the rest of his wrap. I messed up again but i dont know if i even want to stop sniffing the stuff if i can get it im going to take it i know its always going to be like that now i dont even know if me trying to stop is worth the hastle. Im just confused. im so much happier if im sniffing.

shogun- i did try, when i was on holiday i was drinking to take my mind off it and i HATE alcohol i really hate drinking i think that stuffs evil. Ive been taking pills more because theyre cheaper and that gets my mind off it for the night but the next day all i can think about is cocaine to make me feel better. I dont know what else to try because i dont want to be turning back to pills (ive dramatically cut down on them) or speed instead of coke because i hate myself when im on those drugs, especially speed, i just have no idea what to do about anything.

If i go to the doctor and they refer me to counselling or whatever do i have to pay? Ive got no job, and to be honest if i had a job id rather spend the money on sniff than counselling. Ive been taking my mates diazempam every day after i finished my supply (he doesnt want to take his anymore) but now ive run out of that, i dont think it made too much difference anyway. im sorry to be feeling sorry for myself to all of you but i cant admit to my friends that they were right and i respect your opinions.
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    but i dont know if i even want to stop sniffing the stuff

I hate to say it, but it's absolutely pointless asking anyone else for help to break an addiction if you haven't come to terms with it yourself yet.

You need to hand on your heart, tell yourself that you're not going to touch it and then peoplecan help you efficiently to get over it.

Up until that point, anything anyone else says or does is rendered useless.

Good luck..
    Zoma-i think youre right, ive just been on the phone to a scottish bloke at talk to frank, and he kept saying all this oprah winfrey 'life is great stuff' and i just kept thinking that no matter what hes saying none of it was making sense. He didnt seem to understand. He was saying its wonderful i cant get it anymore but its not.

He did say one thing that i think we all need to think about, that all young people want in life is to be in control and i know thats true for me, but taking drugs makes you completly vunrable and youre not in control of yourself or your life at all. Like its one big irony. And that made me think, because i know im not in control of myself and thats all i want.

I know i want to stop but i dont know anything else because id rather be an addict and wait a week or 2 weeks to get it than not ahve it at all. Do you think hypnosis might work? i know its expensive but i could save if i thought it would actually work.
    lil minx; if you think deep inside and you know you can't, you really can't do much as z0ma said, cocaine is an addictive drug...but alcohol, i think it's great...just the whole buzz of it is brilliant but not everyone does.

If used occasionly then it could be cut down on and wouldn't be an everyday activity.did you take it everyday before?
    Originally posted by Shogun
    lil minx; if you think deep inside and you know you can't, you really can't do much as z0ma said, cocaine is an addictive drug...but alcohol, i think it's great...just the whole buzz of it is brilliant but not everyone does.

If used occasionly then it could be cut down on and wouldn't be an everyday activity.did you take it everyday before?

From before summer to november last year i took it all day every day (bought for my by other peoples crime) then i stopped till febuary and since then its varied from every day, to every other day, sometimes id only do it a few times - over the weekend etc) now its once a week max and i hate it. so ive already drastically cut down.
    From before summer to november last year i took it all day every day (bought for my by other peoples crime) then i stopped till febuary and since then its varied from every day, to every other day, sometimes id only do it a few times - over the weekend etc) now its once a week max and i hate it. so ive already drastically cut down.

that's alot of coke, i toke most days now but that's just the way it is, talk to a friend "coming for a joint"..

did you tell the scotish man on the phone that you really don't want to quit it and anything he said didn't mean anything, you should do that just to see what his reponse his...maybe rehab is the only way out of coke.
    No, counselling shouldnt cost you anything, if you go to your doctor then he/she will refer you to an assesment interview and from there they will get you the help that you need.

As for accupunture and hypnosis, they may well help, but there is no magic treatment. I'd say counselling will be helpful, cognative behavial therapy will help break the cycle.

Cutting down hasnt made the situation any better, it sounds like you need to cut it out completely and make a firm comitment to yourself not to touch it.
    Thanks shogun and bongbudda.. shogun-no i didnt tell him because i do want to quit before its too late to quit, but then part of me thinks ive got a good while to go before i go past the point of 'no return' so i sort of want to carry on for a while longer. Im just confused. I dont know, i think ill go to the doctor as you say bongbudda and see how that goes before i start saving for hypnosis. Thanks.
    If that's what you want to do then that's what you'll do.

Yes go and see your doctor if you think you need to, do and of your mates or anyone know how you feel about sniffing other than here?sister?
    [B i do want to quit before its too late to quit, but then part of me thinks ive got a good while to go before i go past the point of 'no return' so i sort of want to carry on for a while longer. . [/B]
    Thats because its nice, Do you think one day its not going to be nice any more? no. Thats part of the psychological addiction, and thats the hardest bit to get over. It stays there even after the physical withdrawal symptoms are over.
    ive been there, not with coke but with speed, and I wont touch it now, but i still dream about it sometimes, about how nice it was, those feelings. I had got to the stage where i didnt want to do it any longer, and youll get there too, but unfortunatly cocaine is a much more dangerous drug than speed, so you need to be a lot more careful. Dont waste yourself.
    Wise words for sure, Rainbow.

As for your doctor, he/she will be able to help you, loads more money is going into drug treatment all over the country now a days and it is gradualy getting better. Especialy in London. The assesment interview is first, when your with the social worker make sure you tell them everything, its a bit odd at first, but well its for the best. I quite enjoyed mine, talking about myself for an hour.