Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Children 'having relationships.......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3084400.stm

Is this really 'new' news? These people have to keep up with the times.

When I was in junior school (and that was in the late 1980's) kids were 'going out with each other'. Some even started french kissing at that period!!

Is this really something to be worried about?

Comments

• Options
    Whereas all children aged even 5 might claim to have a boyfriend or girlfriend, this seldom goes further than holding hands and announcing to their parents they have a bf/gf. Not big deal.

However I would be seriously concerned if my 7 year kid was french-kissing others.
  • Options
    Precisely.

Are people fearful of sexual relationships between children of these ages or something? Even though they haven't reached puberty yet or don't possess a thorough understanding of sex?
  • Options
    I've got the same view as you two, it's perfectly harmless fun between two innocent children. I think it's sweet when they peck eachother on the cheek! If they're snogging on the other hand, something needs to be done about it. When I was that age, I fancied a little boy my age but I didn't have any sexual thoughts. I thought the idea of a penis was gross until I was about 15!
  • Options
    I had a couple of playground girlfreinds when I was at school. It was all perfectly innocent, involving kissing, holding hands and dancing together at the school Christmas ceildh. I had my first girlfreind when I was in primary 7 (She was in P6). I didn't even know what sex was at that time, but one of my classmates told the teacher that we had been kissing in the playground and I got into trouble for it. It did seem a strange thing to be told off for.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Are people fearful of sexual relationships between children of these ages or something? Even though they haven't reached puberty yet or don't possess a thorough understanding of sex?

I think you're right, but it is alarming how much children of that age DO understand about sex. I have a 9 year old brother and my boyfriend has a 10 year old sister. It's easy to think that they're so innocent and naive, but it can be shocking when you realise how much they do know. I agree it's silly to be frightened of children so young having sexual relationships, but I think people are more worried that when they are a bit older, they'll be quicker to enter into such relationships. I can see where they're coming from, but I don't see the harm in it, myself. Understanding sex can't be a bad thing, as long as children are given proper sex education at the right age.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    I think you're right, but it is alarming how much children of that age DO understand about sex. I have a 9 year old brother and my boyfriend has a 10 year old sister. It's easy to think that they're so innocent and naive, but it can be shocking when you realise how much they do know.

Maybe. I might be mistaken but most 9-10 year olds I knew of had some knowledge of what sex is.

I agree it's silly to be frightened of children so young having sexual relationships, but I think people are more worried that when they are a bit older, they'll be quicker to enter into such relationships. I can see where they're coming from, but I don't see the harm in it, myself. Understanding sex can't be a bad thing, as long as children are given proper sex education at the right age.

I think they are misguided, and as I stated previously rather behind the times. Children in primary schools have been having boyfriends/girlfriends for a long time and (in my estimation at least) there is nothing sinister about it at all.
  • Options
    I was in primary school in the late 80s and at the age of five two kids were going out with each other. It was all very innocent though. In secondary school thirteen year old girls were going out with.... blokes who were about twenty four. I mean gross :yuck: and surprisingly enough, somebody laughed at me because I was fifteen and still a virgin.

We've had kids as young as twelve here getting pregnant, one in ten fourteen year olds have an STD in Wrexham as well... although I forget exactly what STD it was.

Kids are becoming less innocent or so it seems... or maybe they're ready for sex, but not educated enough?
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

We've had kids as young as twelve here getting pregnant, one in ten fourteen year olds have an STD in Wrexham as well... although I forget exactly what STD it was.

That's seriously fucked. here you're early out at the age of 14 if you start sleeping around. Though some places 13 is "tolerable", depends on who you hang out with.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    That's seriously fucked. here you're early out at the age of 14 if you start sleeping around. Though some places 13 is "tolerable", depends on who you hang out with.

Yeah but this is Wrexham here :p they were drinking vodka and smoking joints in the school toilets of Ysgol Bryn Offa. The sex education was shit, maybe that has something to do with it.
  • Options
    In reality, it's all down to culture.
    We have the worst habbits of alcohol consuming of younger people. Britain is fucked, with all the teen pregnancies, and even though it isn't spoken about too much, American kids are usually pretty up to drugs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Ysgol Bryn Offa.

Eh?
  • Options
    Re: Children 'having relationships.......
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Is this really something to be worried about ?

Nah loada rubbish.

My Daughter is getting married to Matthew, she loves him so she says.
    I think she has kissed him on the cheek, just a part of growing up.
  • Options
    Little children playing kiss-chase, 'going out', liking people and giggling about it - that's all innocent and part of of childhood....

however....

....when you get 10 year olds having sex and children claiming to be in love at young ages - you have a problem.

When I was in primary school, there was one girl in my class who did look about 16 at 11 years old. She sat at the end of the table in year 6 and I was near her - one day I heard her talking to her friend about having sex with this guy. A while later I heard her asking her friend to be the godmother! She was pregnant and she then either had a miscarriage or an abortion. Whilst I had never even kissed a boy and had only just found out what sex was!

I just think it's sad that children are growing up too quickly now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Eh?

Its Welsh. Wrexham is in Wales.

I fail to see why the big fuss about "going out"- its never more than a peck on the cheek, or holding hands in the playground. And even if theyre French-kissing, most peoples first kiss is about 11 or 12 so wheres the rpoblem with that? Especially when they see kisssing as a sign of affection- their parents kiss each other, their grandparents kiss each other, its on the TV, films...

Kissing and sex are not the same thing. people try and protect chjildren far too much these days, and instead of making things better it makes them worse. "youre too young to do that" merely makes a child go out and bloody do it, whether its sex, kissing, drinking, smoking, listening to Lindisfarne...
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    children claiming to be in love at young ages - you have a problem.

Why? The problem is not children growing up too quickly, its people taking advantage of youthful naivety. People have always taken advantage, its just that you hear about it now as some sort of modern disease. Its not, its one person being a shit to another, and no amount of legislation can ever change that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    In reality, it's all down to culture.
    We have the worst habbits of alcohol consuming of younger people. Britain is fucked, with all the teen pregnancies, and even though it isn't spoken about too much, American kids are usually pretty up to drugs.

Britian does have the highest rate of Teenage pregnancies in Europe - Where as places like Holland have the lowest .. I think it comes down to early education which is what they seem to do in Holland - start them off at a very young age in school teaching them about the birds and the bees.

So what's it like in Denmark?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Why? The problem is not children growing up too quickly, its people taking advantage of youthful naivety. People have always taken advantage, its just that you hear about it now as some sort of modern disease. Its not, its one person being a shit to another, and no amount of legislation can ever change that.

:yes:

as long as the kids are 'having relationships' with kids their own age, i don't see how it's scary. i bet most of you played the 'doctors and nurses/i'll show you mine if you show me yours' games as little kids. i think it's harmless. they're just learning about sex. i got married when i was 5 to a boy called adam in the playground. we touched tongues to say we would be together forever.

it's when older people try to take advantage of the kids that you have a problem.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Why? The problem is not children growing up too quickly, its people taking advantage of youthful naivety. People have always taken advantage, its just that you hear about it now as some sort of modern disease.

I meant children claiming to be completely and utterly 'in love' and taking relationships very seriously. I mean if you've got 11 year olds wanting to live with each other and 11 yr old girls getting pregnant, that is problematic. The innocent things - kissing, 'going out', fancying etc. that's all fine, it's when it interupts with their childhood that it saddens me.

Children are growing up too quickly nowadays but that is because people are taking advantage of children, their need to feel accepted and their parent's credit cards.
  • Options
    I read Ulrika Johnson had sex in Nursery, well just about.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    :yes:

as long as the kids are 'having relationships' with kids their own age, i don't see how it's scary. i bet most of you played the 'doctors and nurses/i'll show you mine if you show me yours' games as little kids. i think it's harmless. they're just learning about sex. i got married when i was 5 to a boy called adam in the playground. we touched tongues to say we would be together forever.

it's when older people try to take advantage of the kids that you have a problem.

:yes: I dont need to anything else really. Though I was offered sex by a girl when I was 6, and we were in my bedroom. I still wonder what would have happened if I had said yes :confused:
    It was an idea because it was what we saw when we stayed up past 8 and saw Eastenders, with Kerry and Simon ( are they real? I dont really remember) making out, so we wanted to copy it. Now that is a fault in society. Well no, thats our parents' fault, for letting us stay up "late". Parents should take some of the responsibility if kids are bumping at age 13 though. You cant just rely on the school's sex ed.

Does big_man_with_a know about being married, you bigamist slut! :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    I meant children claiming to be completely and utterly 'in love' and taking relationships very seriously. I mean if you've got 11 year olds wanting to live with each other and 11 yr old girls getting pregnant, that is problematic. The innocent things - kissing, 'going out', fancying etc. that's all fine, it's when it interupts with their childhood that it saddens me.

But the thing is very few do take them seriously. Its the early stages of becoming a teenager and then an adult- youll be "in love" for about two weeks, be miserable for three days then be "in love" with the next boy or girl.

As for the sex thing, it is very very rare that it will be two 11 year olds sleeping with each other- one partner will be older, which leads me bacdk to the whole thing of taking advantage of naivety...

Children are growing up too quickly nowadays but that is because people are taking advantage of children, their need to feel accepted and their parent's credit cards.

And thats the whole point. Children are not growing up too soon- Victorian girls dressed up with their mum's make-up and stuff, so did 30s and 50s girls- but people are much more amenable to taking advantage of their naivety now. I blame advertisers for most of this- "pester power" my arse- and the media for thinking slutty clothes are fashionable.