Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

echelon?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
within Europe, all e-mail, telephone, and fax communications are routinely intercepted by the United States National Security Agency, transferring all target information from the European mainland . . . to Fort Meade in Maryland,"

The study also asserted that the key to the eavesdropping operation was a system code-named "Echelon," designed to indiscriminately intercept the non-military communications of governments, private organizations, and businesses on behalf of the United States and its primary partners in the decades-old UKUSA signals intelligence alliance--Britain, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand. Items of intelligence value are selected by computer identification of keywords provided by the UKUSA nations.

true or false?

Comments

• Options
    Of course it is true (although the British and American governments deny its existence, just like the American government still denies the existence of a secret air force base in the Nevada desert known by some as Area 51).
    There are 2 listening stations in Britain, one being the infamous 'golf balls' at Menwith Hill. More info

If international terrorists were really going to strike in the UK, that is one target I would not mind being destroyed one bit.
  • Options
    Yea, mark thomas discovered that the americans own the land but not the airspace. so he flew a hot air baloon over the site and filmed it all.

Its like a scaled down version of the epcott golfball
  • Options
    Yes, echelon exists. The European Union is almost certain of it, which irritates it greatly as its nothing to do with them.

And as for Menwith Hill- I do often wonder why it is I worry about living 15 miles from that place:)
  • Options
    Why should the EU not have a vested interest in protecting the privacy of its citizens?

Im afraid I dont get your point, Kermy.
  • Options
    Perhaps Kermit the EU doesn't like the echelon system because it would appear the US has been using it for industrial espionage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/654210.stm

Given the history of successive US governments, in particular the present one, regarding trade wars with Europe and repeated bugging incidents for both industrial and political reasons, I have every reason to believe the French.