Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Aptitude tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone here been through interviews where they have had to do some sort of aptitude test? How did you prepare for it?

I'm applying to the Civil Service, and in about a month I'll be asked to go along to one of their centres to do the Qualifying Test. It's made up of two aptitude tests - one verbal and one data. I had to do some practice ones on the internet before I was allowed to apply.

I'm fine with the verbal reasoning tests - I got 17/18 in the practices test, which apprently put me in the top 10% of candidates. But the data interpretation tests I'm not so good at. I only got 12/18. The questions were mostly working out percentages or proportions from tables of data.

Anyone got any good tips on how to improve my maths skills in this way?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anyone got any good tips on how to improve my maths skills in this way?

use a calculator? :p

no but surley your current socre isnt that bad 12/18 is 66.6%.

Blah im not really helping am i, well sorry and i hope you do well and get the job :thumb:
    Ive been for interviews at two companies with aptitude tests. Mine were basic maths,

Theres no easy tricks its just down to concentrating and not panicing. Thinking through the problems and most of all if its taking you far to long... you might be doing it wrong
    Originally posted by Gavman
    use a calculator? :p

no but surley your current socre isnt that bad 12/18 is 66.6%.

Heh, I did in the end - but won't be able to use a calculator in the real thing :(

When I clicked on the evaluation button it said my score was below the top 30% percent of candidates, and if I did that in the real thing I probably wouldn't be asked back for the Selection Board.

Damnit, I have everything else they're asking for, just not the mental arithmetic skills!