Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Seat belts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why should the state force people to wear seat belts?

It should be an INDIVIDUAL CHOICE as to whether a driver wears them or not.

A study by the University of Michigan in 1993 stated that people who wear seatbelts feel safer, so drive more recklessly.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Seat belts
    Originally posted by monocrat

Im sure we have had this debate in loads of other threads :rolleyes:

OK maybe you were not listening before, or maybe you didnt understand what has been said to you time and time again. The thing is it has been proven that seat belts save lives. Wearing a seat belt stops you from being chucked through the windscreen and getting killed.
    Surely thats a big enough reason to make it compulsary?

A study by the University of Michigan in 1993 stated that people who wear seatbelts feel safer, so drive more recklessly.
    mono ...give it a fucking rest all this i should be able to do anything i want who are you to interfere bollox. it doesn't make sense and you do yourself no favours.
    so your one of the educated people that 'idiots' like me are supposed to look up to in politics! your a looser mate. you do not have a clue abpout reality. not even about sensible debate and argument.; all the facts and figures mean diddly shit to you. if your a windup mercvhant your no good at it any longer.

Agreed. Other surveys have shown that the number of rad deaths and serious injuries reduced...

And what about the people that are traveling in the car, by not wearing a seatbelt does that help them?
    :lol:

Pathetic
    Re: Re: Seat belts
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    mono ...give it a fucking rest all this i should be able to do anything i want who are you to interfere bollox. it doesn't make sense and you do yourself no favours.
    so your one of the educated people that 'idiots' like me are supposed to look up to in politics! your a looser mate. you do not have a clue abpout reality. not even about sensible debate and argument.; all the facts and figures mean diddly shit to you. if your a windup mercvhant your no good at it any longer.

I never said that people should look up to me. But yes I do think people should do as they please. :cool:
    Re: Re: Seat belts
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

OK maybe you were not listening before, or maybe you didnt understand what has been said to you time and time again. The thing is it has been proven that seat belts save lives. Wearing a seat belt stops you from being chucked through the windscreen and getting killed.
    Surely thats a big enough reason to make it compulsary?

No it's not. :cool:
    Re: Re: Re: Seat belts
    I never said that people should look up to me. But yes I do think people should do as they please. :cool:
    when you become a teenager your views will start to change ...
    I'm not a teenager.

;)
    I kind of agree, except for back seat passengers, where not wearing a beltcan kill the person in front. So I dont think it would be fair to only let front passengers off or give people the right in the back not to wear it. I see where your coming from, I really do, because its your own life and choice, its just not a practical idea.
    As long as the NHS does not have to provide care for people injured for not wearing a seatbelt...

And as long as the person killed for not wearing a seatbelt does not have a family to sustain...

And as long as they always travel alone so they had no chance of injuring others when their bodies go flying for up to 70 metres with a relative weight of hundreds of kilograms...

And as long as their forfeit their life insurance and pension fund payouts if they're killed in a traffic accident...

then I have no problem with others not wearing a seatbelt.

Is that fair enough monocrat? :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    I kind of agree, except for back seat passengers, where not wearing a beltcan kill the person in front. So I dont think it would be fair to only let front passengers off or give people the right in the back not to wear it. I see where your coming from, I really do, because its your own life and choice, its just not a practical idea.

Of course it's your own life and choice. That is why the government shouldn't intervene.

Oh my gods... SHUT THE HELL UP! We've already discussed this!
    I want to discuss it again.... :) :cool:
    Of course it's your own life and choice. That is why the government shouldn't intervene.

So is it fair or even right that ambulance crews, police, general public should have to see a body splattered all over the road and then go on to suffer Post Traumatic Stress brought on by the harrowing scene they saw at the accident?
    Lets face it if a body has been thrown through the windscreen it is not going to be a bonny sight for anyone, even if the car was going fairly slow I d hate to think I had to witness the scene.
    I'm not a teenager.

;)
    you can't be more than a couple of years away from becoming one ...trust me, when you do your views start to change ...
    So is it fair or even right that ambulance crews, police, general public should have to see a body splattered all over the road and then go on to suffer Post Traumatic Stress brought on by the harrowing scene they saw at the accident?
    Lets face it if a body has been thrown through the windscreen it is not going to be a bonny sight for anyone, even if the car was going fairly slow I d hate to think I had to witness the scene.

It's part of their job.

They're trained to deal with things like that. :cool:
    you can't be more than a couple of years away from becoming one ...trust me, when you do your views start to change ...

I'm telling you I'm not. :lol:
    It's part of their job.

I dare you to never wear a seatbelt whether being a driver/passenger...

:lol:
    Well have you?

I have and nothing has happened.... :)
    Well have you?

keep trying!
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    keep trying!
    :lol::lol::lol::D :cool:
    It's part of their job.

So the general public like me or you are trained? please go and read my reply and try and answer again :rolleyes:
    The state has a duty to protect us all from killing ourselves in accidents. Thats why you have to wear a seat belt, you can't take heroin and I must wear a hard hat, boots and a hi-viz jacket when I go to work.

Also, while driving off road, I need the seatbelt just to hold me in my seat.

By the way, Moroccan Roll, Monocrat is 24. (I read his otherwise empty profile). Pity he doesn't act like it.
    Why should I 'act like it'?
    Originally posted by Captain Slog

By the way, Moroccan Roll, Monocrat is 24. (I read his otherwise empty profile). Pity he doesn't act like it.

What 24 months :eek2:

Ah the mentality :lol:
    Um... maybe he's lived a sheltered and uninformed life?
    the trouble with not wearing a seatbelt, is that it puts everyone else using the road at danger if you go hurtling through the windscreen.

if it was only yourself you were going to hurt then maybe fair enough, but everybody has to use the roads.
    So? It's a simple case of personal responsiblility.
    Well have you?

I don't usually travel by car, but about 80% of the times I wear a seatbelt and the times I don't I feel uncomfortable... I just hope I'll be lucky.

Anyway, I think seatbelts should be on ALL coaches since coaches hold many people, which is many lives/accidents if one person (ie. the driver) makes a mistake.

I think on trains they should have them aswell, there are too many people on them and accidents on them aren't that rare. Or at least make having a seatbelt a choice.
    What 24 months :eek2:

Ah the mentality :lol:

OK, then how should a twenty-four year old think and why is it any of your business how they think? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: