Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Who lives in a house like this?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have a house like the one on the left in their area?

This house is actually near where I live - but not exactly sure where cos I'd love to go see if it's still in this state.

I reckon houses like these are potenital gold mines for people who have good DIY Skills.

_1704570_derelict_house300.jpg

Article - Click here

_707942_house300.jpg

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Diamond, there's one in Mill Hill I think on the road between the Harvester and the Church if you know it. Amazing really it'd be worth at least £350,000 if it was normal - it's a 30s semi and has metal covers on all the doors and windows, I think it was gutted by a fire.

Must only be worth about £60,000-£100,000 in it's current state if you're after a bargain. ;)
    Actually there are very little in the way of bargains when it comes to these things for joe public. cos most of these places selling for their ful value if they were in a noral states minus the cost of doing the building work to get the job done by builders - only really any profit in it if you are a builder yourself.

I contacted my local council once and they aren't allowed to give ou tthe locations of these empty prooperties for you to look at - I guess cos of squatters or something - so you have to spot one yourself and trackd own the owner. For years they've talked about giving back the VAT on material used to bring properties like this back to life - but it's never happened - I think how it make apply if a building's purpose is changed i.e. fom offices to houses then the builders can claim back the VAt and not have to pass the cost on to the public - which makes their profits much larger.
    My mate used to live in a really run down place with her mum, always freezing and things broken (although they tried their hardest to keep it clean). Someone bought it for £140,000 and now it's on the market for £360,000. Just goes to show if you know what you're doing and have imagination then it'll work. Looks a lovely place now.
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    Must only be worth about £60,000-£100,000 in it's current state if you're after a bargain. ;)

You can get decent 3 bed detached houses in decent areas for that much :/
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    You can get decent 3 bed detached houses in decent areas for that much :/

Doc... what areas are you talking about???

There is a huge difference between various regions of the country - for instance where I like the average pirce of a semi-detached is £270,000 - even 2 bedroom flats are over £200,000 - they've just knocked down the OAP home at the end of my road and built 12 new flats - all 2 bedroom and all going for over £200,000.

If you go to certain parts of the country you could get a house for £2,000 -

basically it's all down to location, location ,location...
    I was reading something the other day about how people are playing the house market these days as a way of earning their pension.

Seems a bit risky to me :chin:
    theres a military cemetry near me, in it theres the most gorgeous but totaly run down house, no glass, full of rats etc. it really is a gorgeous house, id love to do it up and live in it, they would probably give the house away to anyone who wanted it and would do it up, it would be worth loads as well!

there was another house in my town, was a gorgeous big mansion, but in the 20's there was a few child murders which happend there (fact, not urban legend) so the murderer killed himself in the house and its been left ever since. a couple of months ago me and my mates went in there and it was like a time capsule, stepping back in time. really weird.

my town has lots of old victorian/edwardian sort of houses that need doing up but there the two that spring to mind right now
    I think the fact the first place is near a cemetary reduces it's value a lot .. many people don't want to risk living near one - personally I think I'd quite like it - you don't have to worry about noise from the neighbours!!!

I saw this old pub in southhall in a residiental road that someone has bought and converted into a massive house - that would be so cool.

Another guy around the corner fro mme bought this old detached house with a garage and built aother room above the garage - it's looks so nice now that their neighbour is doing the same exact thing to theirs.
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    There is a huge difference between various regions of the country

:yes:

even in different regions of the same city.

in the centre of leeds, an apartment by the river or the canal will probably set you back about 400,000.

round the corner from my parent's house, there's a 5 bed detached house going for 500,000. a bungalow on their road sold for 250,000 earlier this year.

down beeston way you can pick up a 4 bed terraced house for under 30,000.
    Yeah we have house's like that round here. My mum see's them and she thinks its criminal.

From mine to my sisters its about a 5 minutes drive and there are about 15 houses(just in view from the main roads) boarded up like that. My mum said its because Birmingham city council cant afford to make then fit for people to live in. she said they should sell them off as they are and people can do the repairs and stuff themselves from what they save on buying it in the state they are in.
    Fuck buying em, squat in em for 7 years and they're legally yours
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    basically it's all down to location, location ,location...

This one-roomed 'shed' in a Cornish town was for sale when I was there on holiday. It was selling for more than double what my 3-bedroomed Lincolnshire semi is worth.
    heh. my aunt owns one of these..

she bought it for about £10,000 15 years ago.

they're currently selling for upwards of £80,000.

for a SHED.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by kaffrin

down beeston way you can pick up a 4 bed terraced house for under 30,000.

Thats because Beeston is shit, the South Leeds version of Halton Moor :|

We're in the process of selling our house to one of these renovation companies, some of the decor is a bit outdated, and it needs some structural work. House's on this estate (3 bed semi) go for £120,000, We've sold ours for £110,000, so its a bargain really!