Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should 4x4 drivers be tested?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A funny thing happened to my dad the other day. A colleague phoned him to complain the four wheel drive on the hilux (which has replaced the Land Rover) wasnt working. It turned out it was working, he just hadn't locked the frewheeling hubs.

This made me think, how many suburban mums are taking their kids to school in a vehicle they don't know how to drive properly? Nowadays you need to pass a test to tow a trailer over 750kg, you need compulsory basic training to ride a moped, why not introduce compulsory training for four wheel drive users. You never know, it might even discourage some people from buying a vehicle they are never going to take off road.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Should 4x4 drivers be tested?
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    A funny thing happened to my dad the other day. A colleague phoned him to complain the four wheel drive on the hilux (which has replaced the Land Rover) wasnt working. It turned out it was working, he just hadn't locked the frewheeling hubs.

This made me think, how many suburban mums are taking their kids to school in a vehicle they don't know how to drive properly? Nowadays you need to pass a test to tow a trailer over 750kg, you need compulsory basic training to ride a moped, why not introduce compulsory training for four wheel drive users. You never know, it might even discourage some people from buying a vehicle they are never going to take off road.
    not knowing about the free wheeling hubs in no way effects the qaulity and safety of your driving. most people can't change the alternator or even knows what it looks like ...most drivers know next to nothing about how their motors work ...doesn't make them bad drivers.
  • Options
    Re: Should 4x4 drivers be tested?

This made me think, how many suburban mums are taking their kids to school in a vehicle they don't know how to drive properly?

Slightly sexist do you not think?

As you said your Dads work colleague phoned him saying the four wheel drive wasnt working when infact it was. It was just HE hadn't locked the freewheeling hubs :p

so what were you saying ;)
  • Options
    bit of a pain in the arse don't you think? Pass your driving test but can only drive certain cars and have to go and pay for lessons and to take another test. Unnesscesary hassle I think.
  • Options
  • Options
    If 4x4s are a lot different to any other car, maybe an extra test would be a good idea.

It'd also be a good idea to either teach people how to drive on motorways, or not allow them to until they'd had further tuition.
    but that's a whole new topic...
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    It'd also be a good idea to either teach people how to drive on motorways, or not allow them to until they'd had further tuition.
    but that's a whole new topic...

:yes:

Motorway driving tuition should be compulsary because it is so different. I hated using slip roads before I was shown how to do it properly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    but yes, shiny, off-road vehicles being driven soley in the "urban jungle" is one of my pet hates. for gods sake, with a machine like that why don't they use it off-road? it's too much fun to pass up. miserable gits. especially the ones with the bull bars, because there are so many wild kangaroos on the loose in surrey :rolleyes:

I think bull bars were made illegal a few years back because if you run into a person with bull bars they have a much lower chance of survival than without them.

I don't know why people want 4x4s in cities either, it has a point if you're a farmer in the countryside - somehow I can hardly see a Ford Focus lasting long out there! :) Also the smaller a car is the better in the cities - especially parking wise. Plus the additional pollution... :no: leave the 4x4s for the countryside.
  • Options
    4x4s are more dangerous on-road, because they have a high centre of gravity, which makes them more liable to tip over going round sharp bends, or in high winds.
  • Options
    It is true that a an awful lot of 4 x 4 drivers don't have the slightlest clue how to drive them. Mums taking their kids to school are a very visible example. I don't mean to be sexist, there must be many men also useless, but these women stick out. Most of them don't ever take the car off road once in their lives and most of the driving they do is within urban areas. Yet they must have the biggest bloody car they can afford/dare to drive so their sense of security and safety is enhanced. The same applies to scores of Volvo Estate drivers, a car that proves far too long for many people's parking and turning skills.

Still, 4 x 4s are highly undesirable cars for many reasons and there should at least be an extra tax for those city toffs who insist in having one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    I think bull bars were made illegal a few years back
    no kev ...there still legal. on friday night my youngest son came to stay the weekend. i got a phone call from him when he was about 5miles from my place. he'd skidded across a T junction, flattened a road sign, gone through a hedge and into a field. he was driving a suzuki rascal...penny racers i call them. tiny van with tiny wheels and nothing ...absolutely nothing but bean tin metal betwwen him and everything he hit ...the bull bars saved him from serious injury. these vans should be made ilegal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    no kev ...there still legal. on friday night my youngest son came to stay the weekend. i got a phone call from him when he was about 5miles from my place. he'd skidded across a T junction, flattened a road sign, gone through a hedge and into a field. he was driving a suzuki rascal...penny racers i call them. tiny van with tiny wheels and nothing ...absolutely nothing but bean tin metal betwwen him and everything he hit ...the bull bars saved him from serious injury. these vans should be made ilegal.

Hmmm I remember there was a lot of hooha about them - this was a few years back, in the 90s I think. I remember there was an issue about if you hit a pedestrian (kid or adult) the bull bars would kill them. I thought they'd made them illegal or at least banned them on all new cars. :confused: Evidently not.

How can they let those things on the road?! Sound like deathtraps on wheels. Glad your son's okay. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    Hmmm I remember there was a lot of hooha about them - this was a few years back, in the 90s I think. I remember there was an issue about if you hit a pedestrian (kid or adult) the bull bars would kill them. I thought they'd made them illegal or at least banned them on all new cars. :confused: Evidently not.

How can they let those things on the road?! Sound like deathtraps on wheels. Glad your son's okay. :)
    well you might be right about new motors ...wasn't thinking of it that way. next time you see one of those tiny little vans have a good look. the driver is sat with nothing more than a sterring column in front of him. hit something hard at 40 mph or more and your mince meat. it realy is beyond belief that these things are on the road. my wife lost a cousin at the begining of the year in oxford. he was doing 30 on a motor bike ...tranny van doing about 50 hit him full on. dead instantly from ...the bull bars. yet thats what saved my son from serious damage ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    well you might be right about new motors ...wasn't thinking of it that way. next time you see one of those tiny little vans have a good look. the driver is sat with nothing more than a sterring column in front of him. hit something hard at 40 mph or more and your mince meat. it realy is beyond belief that these things are on the road. my wife lost a cousin at the begining of the year in oxford. he was doing 30 on a motor bike ...tranny van doing about 50 hit him full on. dead instantly from ...the bull bars. yet thats what saved my son from serious damage ...

You can't buy a new car with bull bars fitted, but there are still plenty of old ones around and you can get them fitted by an aftermarket supplier if you need them for going on expeditions to Africa or whatever.

The Bedford Rascal/Suzuki Super Carry is no longer in production, but the similarly designed Daihatsu Hijet is still available. As a forward control design, there is nowhere to put a crumple zone such as you would find on a normal car, so if you crash your legs will absorb the force of the impact. Not a nice thought. Could this be the reason why the Nissan Serena has the wheels in front of the driver?
    not knowing about the free wheeling hubs in no way effects the qaulity and safety of your driving. most people can't change the alternator or even knows what it looks like ...most drivers know next to nothing about how their motors work ...doesn't make them bad drivers.

Personally I think all drivers should have basic understanding of how there cars work. Not to the extent of changing alternators, but they should at least know where the dipstick is.
  • Options
    , but they should at least know where the dipstick is.
    for those of you who don't ...he's in the white house.
  • Options

Personally I think all drivers should have basic understanding of how there cars work. Not to the extent of changing alternators, but they should at least know where the dipstick is.

I am not a driver but even I know where the dipstick is. I know where the water is for the windscreen etc etc.

I think all these things including how to change a flat tyre should be made compulsary to pass your test. Its stupidity that people actually drive in a car not knowing what to do if they had a flat tyre, or if they drive without water in the windscreen washer bottle.........ludicrous.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I am not a driver but even I know where the dipstick is. I know where the water is for the windscreen etc etc.

I think all these things including how to change a flat tyre should be made compulsary to pass your test. Its stupidity that people actually drive in a car not knowing what to do if they had a flat tyre, or if they drive without water in the windscreen washer bottle.........ludicrous.

Funny that you should mention it, because as of tomorrow the driving test will include a section on knowing how to check oil levels, tyre pressure, windscreen washer water levels etc etc.

When my instructor told me this I thought "oh great, more stuff that I can fail on" but it's actually easy once you're told and I'd much rather know about it than not. I don't think a lot of people my age who've passed their tests recently would know that much about their cars.
  • Options
    Its definitely the way forward.
    The previous generation of drivers had to know how to carry out basic maintenance, because they all drove Austin 1300s that kept braking down. Because today's cars are far more reliable I think this has made new drivers complacent and they don't bother with basic maintenance. Anything that makes drivers take more care of their cars must surely be a good thing.