Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Notorious gang leader turned to Christ

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I understand too (as a non-Christian) that God does have a hierachy to ensure that there is order so while the three personalities of God are EQUAL, Jesus surrenders to the will of the Father while the Holy Spirit acts out his will.

Don't know why I added that ....
    Actually Roackwell there is no such phraseology in the Old Testament, I suspect you are referring to the opening verses of the Gospel of John.
    Blackarab; I think you answered the questions well, yes there probally are faults with the bible, but as you say its the general message thats the important point.

I guess the point is its not the religion, its a lot of the people who believe in it that I have a problem with.
    Re: *questions the point of this thread*
    Originally posted by Loopi
    Oi there Rockwell

You trying to push us all into religion or what?

Note, this forum is called 'Politics and Debate', not 'Let's ram my idea of religion down everyone's throats by quoting a story that has been rehashed several times throughout history'!!!

As for organised religion, I'm not a big fan of it. Why should people go through their lives feeling guilty about being alive and always having to bow down to this almighty being that frankly, might not even exist?!? Fair enough, some people choose to do this.

On the other hand, some people have it forced upon them at birth. Unfortunately my experiences with friends who have been born into a religion have been negative. Many of them were fucked up in the head due to feelings of guilt (even when they had been living a perfectly moral life) and one of them is no longer with us. She couldn't face herself any longer.

Note the 'and Debate' why not of a religious nature. Most threads concerning the Middle East have contained religious debate.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Blackarab; I think you answered the questions well, yes there probally are faults with the bible, but as you say its the general message thats the important point.

I guess the point is its not the religion, its a lot of the people who believe in it that I have a problem with.

Cheers. Unfortunately, political and religious doctrine has always been used and subverted according to needs of those who seek to control. Its human nature that is more at fault than the theories.
    Sorry but some comments in this thread have got me miffed. Firstly, Rockwell wasn't ramming organised religion down your throats, you misinformed, narow-minded individuals, he was simply discussing a lovely story related to Christ, and giving out a link to anyone wishing to find out more information. And BJ, why the heck can't a support group be for people of a certain denomination? It's probably something you can't understand due to not having a religion, but when you are a Christian, or a Jew, sometimes you just want to be around others of the same religion, and a support group is good for this.

And these comments about the "Catholic" way to get into heaven and the "Protestant" way are not funny. I take offence to it.

Last of all, this thread wasn't pointless.

Thank you.
    Hrm... so some people will be sympathetic towards this gang leader, some others might even think he's reformed, having turned to Christianity and all...

But what if he converted to Islam, Sikhism, Druidism or Hinuism? I don't think they'd be so sympathetic then.

I personally have no problem with any religion... but I believe that society should all be the same. I mean the media too... for example the psychic night that was on about a week ago where they tried to disprove spiritualist mediums... now if they would try to disprove God, there'd be a huge uproar.

Religious bias strikes again :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Hrm... so some people will be sympathetic towards this gang leader, some others might even think he's reformed, having turned to Christianity and all...

But what if he converted to Islam, Sikhism, Druidism or Hinuism? I don't think they'd be so sympathetic then.
    They probably would if he had turned his back on crime and violence once and for all. Most religons strive for what is right. It is just that Christianity seems to me at least to have to most correct path. I mean most of the Muslim religon is on the right track it is stuanchly against wrong doing and sin, but it falls down on the issue of having more than one wife and on insistance on Pilgramage to Mecca. Other religons also seem to get bogged down in religous rituals such as growing a beard, chanting a cedrtain mantra or what to wear, rather than concentrating on teaching their followers what matters most is to try to lead a good life and trust in God.
    Re: Notorious gang leader turned to Christ
    Originally posted by Rockwell
    At 16 Nicky Cruz became a member of the notorious Brooklyn street gang known as the Mau Maus (named after a bloodthirsty African tribe). Within six months he became their president. Cruz fearlessly ruled the streets as warlord of one of the gangs most dreaded by rivals and police. Lost in the cycle of drugs, alcohol, and brutal violence, his life took a tragic turn for the worse after a friend and fellow gang member was horribly stabbed and beaten and died in Nicky's arms.

As Cruz' reputation grew, so did his haunting nightmares. Arrested countless times, a court-ordered psychiatrist pronounced Nicky's fate as "headed to prison, the electric chair, and hell."

No authority figure could reach Cruz — until he met a skinny street-preacher named David Wilkerson. He disarmed Nicky — showing him something he'd never known before: Relentless love. His interest in the young thug was persistent. Nicky beat him up, spit on him and, on one occasion, seriously threatened his life…yet the love of God remained — stronger than any adversary Nicky had ever encountered.

Finally, Wilkerson's presentation of the gospel message and the love of Jesus melted the thick walls of his heart. Nicky received the forgiveness, love and new life that can only come through Jesus. Since then, he has dedicated that life to helping others find the same freedom. He now runs a Christian outreach team to bring the Christian message to other alienated youths called TRUCE.

GAY.
    Re: Re: Notorious gang leader turned to Christ
    Originally posted by JCB
    GAY.
    If you didn't know homosexuality is strictly forbiddon in the Christian religon! It is condemned time and time again. First in Levicticous, then in the story about Soddom and Gomoragh ( I don't actually believe those cities ever existed by the way but think it was a story to illustrate what God thought about such things ) and finally by the Apostle Paul.

I know that a lot of things in the Bible are not true and I am not a fundamentalist, but on the question of homosexuality the Bible seems to be clear and concise in its message. There is just no way to bend the teachings of the Bible to make them say that homosexuality is OK. A lot of Christians would disagree, but there just seems no way the Bible teachings can provide evidence that God thinks homosexuality is OK.
    Other religons also seem to get bogged down in religous rituals such as growing a beard, chanting a cedrtain mantra or what to wear, rather than concentrating on teaching their followers what matters most is to try to lead a good life and trust in God.
    things like praying and bowing to mary and a million saints when the bible clearly states that the use of wooden, stone , metal images is idolatry that the god of the bible clearly hates! why bow before a lifeless statue? why pray to mary or some dead man who another man decided was a saint when ...
    the bible clearly states you have to pray only to god and only through christ?
    Re: Re: Re: Notorious gang leader turned to Christ
    If you didn't know homosexuality is strictly forbiddon in the Christian religon! It is condemned time and time again. First in Levicticous, then in the story about Soddom and Gomoragh ( I don't actually believe those cities ever existed by the way but think it was a story to illustrate what God thought about such things ) and finally by the Apostle Paul.

I know that a lot of things in the Bible are not true and I am not a fundamentalist, but on the question of homosexuality the Bible seems to be clear and concise in its message. There is just no way to bend the teachings of the Bible to make them say that homosexuality is OK. A lot of Christians would disagree, but there just seems no way the Bible teachings can provide evidence that God thinks homosexuality is OK.

Go away Steelgate you idiot.
    Nonsense Rockwell/Steelie. For all we know Jesus himself was gay. That's how he comes across to me anyway.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    things like praying and bowing to mary and a million saints when the bible clearly states that the use of wooden, stone , metal images is idolatry that the god of the bible clearly hates! why bow before a lifeless statue? why pray to mary or some dead man who another man decided was a saint when ...
    the bible clearly states you have to pray only to god and only through christ?
    That is Roman Catholicism. And the things you stated above are one of the reasons why many Christians split to form protestant churches. Catholics also have many other dodgy beliefs as well. Their ban on contraception probably being their barmiest.
    Originally posted by Aladin
    Nonsense Rockwell/Steelie. For all we know Jesus himself was gay. That's how he comes across to me anyway.
    Why does Jesus come across to you as gay. Not only did he have many women friends ( there is even speculation that he had affairs with some of those women and even children ) but what was so gay about what he went through? He was falsly accused, flogged, beaten then nailed to a cross. And all the time that was happening to him he knew he had the power to save himself.
    Originally posted by MoonRat

I personally have no problem with any religion... but I believe that society should all be the same. I mean the media too... for example the psychic night that was on about a week ago where they tried to disprove spiritualist mediums... now if they would try to disprove God, there'd be a huge uproar.

Religious bias strikes again :rolleyes:

You don't 'think' they'd be so sympathetic. How can you know this without canvassing wide opinion. I have heard many stories of people changing their lives through various means but I wouldn't condemn them if they chose another way apart from Christianity.

People also continually challenge the idea of God, as they do on here, without uproar. A Christian friend of mine tells me he has no problem with this as he is given the opportunity then to challenge this in a reasonable discussion.
    Re: Re: Re: Notorious gang leader turned to Christ

How do you know a lot of things the Bible says isn't true?
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Why?
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Notorious gang leader turned to Christ
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    How do you know a lot of things the Bible says isn't true?
    That should be obvious. In some passages in the Bible it says for example that the sun revolves around the earth when this was disproved centuries ago. In another passage it tells the story of Adam and Eve who were supposodly the first humans, but if this story were true then it would mean the whole of humanity were produced by close relatives an incestous theory which goes against the Bibles' forbidding of incest.

The Bible was put together as a collection of seperate, books, letters and stories from various sources not all of which can be considered the infallable word of God. It was the Romans who decided what went into the Bible and many of the stories in it for example the story of Noahs' Ark predate both Christianity and Judaism and are found in as stories in other religons too.
    The Bible says that Cain was sent to other lands and met his wife there, this would suggest that this was not incest as she was neither his wife or sister.

I understand the Bibles sources and yes stories cannot always be considered the word of God but sometimes about the actions of God and/or Man.

Even the Bible's story of Noah predates Christianity and Judaisim, as it describes Abraham as the father of Israel and the Jews and Christ comes nearly 2000 years after Abraham.