Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

waste or worth it?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i just found this - do you think it was worth his time?

seriously, if he's that content with his own decision to not believe in god - why does he need to go to all that trouble to find out all the technicalities of something he feels is so important to 'prove' someone else wrong?

do you think he really needed to create a whole website, with all that information, just to prove tell people of his own unreligious beliefs?

or do you think it was totally worth it? i mean would you go to that much effort of studying something that you dont even believe in just to be able to come back with a 'witty' remark when someone suggests some sort of christian solution to a problem of yours?

probably should go in debate. but meh.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think the guy has serious problems. like you say, why go to such trouble?
    people should be respected enough to believe in which ever religion they choose, why try to destroy their faith purely because you don't agree?

this man is clearly a loser.
    Originally posted by juice1984

this man is clearly a loser.

with waaaay too much time on his hands
    :yes: indeed.

ok, he doesn't believe in god, no need to ram in down our throats or offened huge amounts of people.
    Wacko
    depends what his personal circumstances are really. I mean, where I live, religion isnt a big deal, I dont have religion forced on me, and it isnt the default setting for most people round here (that I know of) SoI would never feel the need to criticise or have any strong feelings either way.. Maybe this man lives in America or some mega religious godfearing place, and this is his reaction to it. I dont know. I dont think its any worse than having any other website with someones own personal beliefs on it.
    I know exactly who to give this link to. He will have a fucking field. Worst thing is, he will agree with everything this guy says :/
    This bloke probably is a wacko. But maybe hes in a situation like rainbow suggested.
    what's wrong with what he's doing? he's just pointing out some discrepencies in the bible. i agree with him over alot of things, he's just giving people an alternative view. Doubt he read through the bible with a highlighter pen tho, there'll be shit like this all over the web
    Re: waste or worth it?
    Originally posted by badabing
    or do you think it was totally worth it? i mean would you go to that much effort of studying something that you dont even believe in just to be able to come back with a 'witty' remark when someone suggests some sort of christian solution to a problem of yours?

probably should go in debate. but meh.

Which is where I have just used it ;) So thanks for the link.

The site is useful when you are in a debate with God-botherers who seem to be unquestioning in their beliefs. Sometimes it's necessary to point out some glaring omissions/contradiction etc in the teaching of the Christian Church.

Personally I can't be arsed to research it all, so from my perspective it was worth my while the he "wasted" so much of his time...
    The Bible doesn't contradict itself nearly as much as people think it does. The Bible spans a time of quite a number of years, society evolved in that time, and things that were acceptable earlier no longer are, that's why some things seem to be "contradictory".

However, all of these things are just trivial. In the grand scheme of things, they really don't matter. Things that never contradict themselves are things like Gods love for us, and the sacrifice of Jesus etc... Things which are actually important.

With the guy on that site, He's just trying to prove that God doesn't exist by clinging onto straws. One question he asked Catholic to justify the Inquisition. Nobody can justify the Inquisition, the people behind it felt that they were acting under the orders of God, when clearly, God being as loving as He is wouldn't have told them to do that.
    The Inquisition, the Salem Witch Trials, these are just periods in time when extremmists got too much power and caused a lot of damage.
    Such a question is like asking a Muslim to justify the attacks on Septemer 11th - it can't be justified, and it was extremeists that did it, not the everyday Muslims.

Another thing he does quite a bit is yank quotations out of the Bible. This is all good and well, but never works. You can rpoove anything by doing that. I once found an article that prooved the Bible spoke of Politheism, for example. What happens is, these quotes are taken out of context, and so bad things are implied.

I wouldn't mind finding out why that guy has such a thing against Christianity, but I really don't have the enthusiasm to fill out his questionnaire
  • White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    Originally posted by Skateside

The Bible spans a time of quite a number of years, society evolved in that time, and things that were acceptable earlier no longer are, that's why some things seem to be "contradictory".

So morality is relational to the thoughts, feelings and opinions of society at any one time :confused:

Another thing he does quite a bit is yank quotations out of the Bible. This is all good and well, but never works. You can rpoove anything by doing that. I once found an article that prooved the Bible spoke of Politheism, for example. What happens is, these quotes are taken out of context, and so bad things are implied.

then would it be reasonable to say that the bible was badly written? if things can be taken out of context, missunderstood or only relate to the time that the specific text was written?

ooo, i completely agree with rainbow on the thread too. some christians (a vast minority) really get annoying with there 'holier than thou', 'your going to hell' attitude. the bloke probably had enough of it and wanted to provide a tool to shut the numpties up long enough for u to run away!

edited to give some reference to the actualy thread....wooops
    Originally posted by White Noise
    So morality is relational to the thoughts, feelings and opinions of society at any one time :confused:
    Some parts of it.
    The only example that really springs to mind now is poligamy. Seriously frowned upon in the NT, but King David (OT) had quite a few wives.
    However, other parts, like murder being wrong etc... stays wrong throughout
    Originally posted by White Noise
    then would it be reasonable to say that the bible was badly written? if things can be taken out of context, missunderstood or only relate to the time that the specific text was written?
    I'll admit that the Bible is open to a lot of interpretations.
    I'll concede (sp?) defeat on that one. :)
    the bible is not intended to be read as a history book. it's symbolic.

that guy's kind of right, but he's taking it all WAY too seriously.
    the guys understanding of the bible is seriously limited and flawed and ...SKATESIDE ...you sound like a good christian boy, a believer. just the kind of 'christian' who wants to join the RAF and spray children with white hot metal and fire. in all my experience your typical of all the other christians i ever met. keep up the good work aye lad. until the day comes when religion finaly gets the boot and meets it's maker.
    oh yeah, to answer the original question ...even though his knowledge is seriously flawed it makes a hell of a lot more sense than "my face party" or whatever it's called and a lot more than these bloody live journals!