Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Changing nationality

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Another one of my random wonderings.....

Supposing you moved to live in another country, and lived there long enough to claim citizenship. Got yourself a passport and all belonging to that country.

Now, suppose you're asked to fill in a form. Any form. And one of the questions asks you what nationality you are. What would you put?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would have thought if you've gained citizenship then your new nationality.
    I'd image you'd want to put in your new nationality, although if have 2 passports you chose which ever one you want.
    I wish I were allowed to state "citizen of the world", or failing that "European".
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I wish I were allowed to state "citizen of the world", or failing that "European".

That's an interesting point.

Eventually, one day, I want to live in France. I'd like to retire there eventually. I think if I spent enough time there to gain citizenship and a French passport, I would definitely call myself French. But I would never lose my Britishness either.
    I'm fine with what I am!
    When a form asks for nationality, you write down the country which holds your citizenship.
    That's what my mom does, even though living in Denmark was never her intention, and should someone unofficially ask her, she'll always say she's Israeli.
    to live in france you have to apply for a carte de sejour, which allows you to work and live for a certain amount of time, a year i think, then you have to either renew this, or apply to have your taxes etc moved to the french system and apply to be a citizen.
    If thee was such a thing as a Welsh Passport I'd get one...if anyone asks I'm welsh although I was born in England.