Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bloody hyporcrites

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Im talking about a lot of rock fans here, but not all of them, and there are plently of similar people who like other genres of music, but it's just that it is rock fans who Ive seen doing this recently and it is getting on my nerves.

They think they are wonderful because they listen to underground bands without a record label, and are always winging " I hate the music industry. My wonderful underground band who have only just formed and played twice haven't got a record deal yet, and crap like Will Young is at number one". They dismiss all music as crap if they dont like it. Music is only good if they listen to it, and cant stand other people's tastes and opinion. They think people who dont like rock are dillusional and should try listening to proper rock/metal whatever, instead of Linkin Park and Busted. Funny how they can say this, then dismiss all hip hop and rap as Ja Rule and Eminem, all RnB as Destinys Child or all dance music as Scooter and Cheeky Girls.

Why don't step back and take a look at what you are saying, because you are not only being a snob, also being a hypocrite. You say people only know the crap thats in the charts, but I bet you have never tried to look beyond the charts in other genres. And another idea. You can like more than one genre as well ( and I dont mean different kinds of metal and some punk when I say that)

You, yeah, you, with the funny looking av, IM TALKING TO YOU!

Rant over. :eek:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *applauds*

Yes I totally agree. Well said.
    heh, they go on and on to you about how wonderful this never-heard-of-before band is, but if you decided that you liked them as well they'd hate you for making them popular!

i'm not thinking of anyone in particular btw
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    *applauds*

Yes I totally agree. Well said.

Ditto.

All hail the doc horatio!
    *sigh* Well I do try :p
    Yeh you've definately got a good point there.

My year at school is full of elitest bastards who listen mainly to prog/classic rock, thinking they're the bee's fucking knees and looking down on anyone who listens to anything else. :mad:

They form their opinions around what they see in the charts but fail to realise the Top 40 is almost only made up of watered down versions of each genre. If they just took their heads out of their own arses maybe they could acknowledge that fact!
    The music industry is crap. It's all about money and instant fame... I know.

And yeah I agree with you.
    Yup, I'd agree with that too. I'm a rock fan meself but if I hear a tune I like, then it doesn't matter what genre it is. I've got some techno stuff on here, it's all good! I draw the line at garage tho. I've never heard a decent (to me) garage tune. Hell I've even got a couple of Mr.Timberlake's tunes on here!
    yeh i agree with you and understand what you're saying, but you must understand the flipside of the coin. Take Blink-182 as an example.

when they first started out they were obviously an underground punk band, creating good punk music (listen to Red Skies, if you dont believe me) released the albums Buddha, Chesire Cat and whatever else. Songs such as 'Josie' and 'Carousel' are made. Then, next thing you know, they sign to a major label and are writing songs like 'Whats My Age Again' and 'All The Small Things' which are very poppy. now i don't mind that TOO much. what i dislike is the thousands of suddent 'fans' that appeal after they've heard these 2 songs. claiming to be a fan of this band based on the enema of the state album is wrong. now if these people went back and listened to buddha, flywatter etc, thats fair enough.

btw - im not a huge fan of blink182 myself, just using that as an example.
    Originally posted by O_o

btw - im not a huge fan of blink182 myself, just using that as an example.
    Pretty good example. I am a Blink 182 fan and was when Dude Ranch was released. I deem this their best album.

Anyway, everyone on here probably has me down as the kind of person you're talking about, but I've said it once and I'll keep saying it, I like anything that I like regardless of musical genre. I like rock music, and punk and ska..... I absolutely HATE metal though, and indie, and most pop....

I love classic rock, 80s electro pop, cheesy disco classics and Daniel Bedingfield.
    So someone who's only heard the music that a band has relaeased which has also entered the chart, can't call themselves a fan of that bad, because they didn't know them when the "underground" stuff was around? that's bollocks!
    I know what you mean... but I just don't really like Nu-Metal, especially with all the rapping and shit. But then I don't have a problem with kids wearing their shirts... but I hate the whole "more gothic than thou" attitude. Linkin Park are not gothic!

As for underground, I'll listen to anything although I prefer older music, like from the 80s or old rock. There are some shit bands, in my opinion, but then they're in the minority.

Besides, original music is hard to find nowadays.
    I like Underground rock, owing to the fact that these artists all get together in their spair time to put togehter tunes, and just do it for the fun of it. It's got a much less manufactured sound to it than most of the big bands around.

But then, how does one go about getting Underground rock albums, and how does one find out about good Underground rock? Nobody hears about a band until they've got a good record-lable behind them and have released a couple of tracks into the charts.

On the other note here, I don't see what the problem is about people hearing a couple of the big albums from Blink182 (for example) and then declairing themselves a Blink fan. I'm a fan of many people and bands.
    What always annoys me is when you get a band that releases on single from their album, then the album, people buy that album and then say that band is their favourite band! Can't they just say that they really liked the album?
    So someone who's only heard the music that a band has relaeased which has also entered the chart, can't call themselves a fan of that bad, because they didn't know them when the "underground" stuff was around? that's bollocks!

no, i didn't mean that. i mean if you're claiming to be a fan of a band based on albums released on a major. The least you can do is go and buy the underground albums. For example blink182's Buddha, Chesire Cat & Dude Ranch albums are available in HMV.
    But then, how does one go about getting Underground rock albums, and how does one find out about good Underground rock? Nobody hears about a band until they've got a good record-lable behind them and have released a couple of tracks into the charts.

The Internet. I 'discovered' loads of bands by going on sites such as www.Epitaph.com & www.FatWreck.com, and downloading the sample MP3's on that site. then if i liked what i heard, id buy some albums.
    Originally posted by rachie004
    and oh yeah.. look up the word hypocrite.. it has little to do with hypocrisy

I did. And didnt understand the difinition.

hypocrisy- the assumption or postulation of moral standards to which one's own behaviour does not conform
    I always took hypocrisy as not practising what you preach.
    i agree with the doc, a hypocrit is someone who does the opposite of what he tells others.

not good wording, i know
    ...but a hypocrite is someone who pretends to be what they are not..

No it isn't.... :confused:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    No it isn't.... :confused:

Well according to the dictionary it is! :confused:

I think the majority of people tend to use the word in the way the Doc used it ...therefore I don't really see the problem or the reason to be picky!
    Weekender Offender 
    i think its ridiculous all the people who are like 'o blink were my fav band, but now they're such sellouts' or whatever, i mean if they liked them in the first place surely they'd be happy that they're favourite band has got some money and can do more gigs and shit?

i like lots of stuff, i'd say my main genre was sort of punk rock, but i love destinys child, i saw them in concert last year and im not ashamed to say so, if you like the music, you like the music, no questions asked
    right...lets clear something up.

there is underground, and there is underground .

i listen to a range of music. Rage Against The Machine (rock), prodigy, jurassic 5 (a hip hop group), leftfield, dj shadow (samples, hip hop, jazz, breakbeat), Aphex Twin (cornish screwed up drum and bass, who also was one of the earliest to do ambient trancey type music), blur, etc etc....

now none of them are really in the mainstream media. but all of them are very very well known within the music industry. they arn't as underground as some almost unknown band who 'have only played two gigs'.

i might know names and be interested in the music of underground rap/rock/dance whatever, but i dont limit myself to just one. today ive already listened to UNKLE and michael franti. very different artists.

i do know people who only listen to rock, hate all pop, and class all rap as nelly and eminem. these people are the ones who give people like me a bad name. i listen to rock bands the majority of people dont know, but i do recognise (and listen to) lesser known rap acts such as aesop rock, and jurassic 5.

i also know people who only listen to hardcore and techno, who say anything by Rage Against the Machine or Incubus sounds like 'Slipknot, and has no beat to it'.

i know people who listen to pop. like some of the people who have replied already. thats fair enough. some people who only listen to pop slate everyone else because they listen to unknown musicians. this is also very wrong.

each to their own, and stop slating each other.

.........i'm done.
    i mean stop slating each others musical tastes.

and you were right about the word anyway.
    hypocrisy is having beliefs in one thing then doing something else that kinda goes against these beliefs..

:yes:
    a hypocrite is someone who pretends to be something that they are not

:no:

Sorry, I know this isn't what the thread is about, but those two statements describe totally different things as far as I can see.. perhaps I'm just being thick, but believing one thing and doing something that goes against those beliefs, or contradicting yourself, isn't the same as pretending to be something you aren't.

And hypocrisy is the contradictary one, as was written in the dictionary definition at the top of the page.

It was the 'pretending to be something you aren't' thing that I disagreed with, because that's nothing really to do with hypocrisy.

*shuts up*