Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fao Jacqueline

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,3604,1029181,00.html

After your comments on the recent discussion on Arabs and Israelis I would be interested to your thoughts on the second letter down. Irene Bruegels.

Regards.

Comments

• Options
    As stated in the last thread I am finished with these discussions, at least for now. There's no point in me repeating over and over again what I think, getting frustrated and a headache, only to repeat myself once again.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Jacqs.

But how could you be repeating yourself if this news story is new and hasn't been discussed? All is being asked is your opinion of an attempted censorship and/or boycott of a book that seems in direct contravention of freedom of speech.

For others like me who hadn't heard of this until BlackArab posted it, here is the background to it:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1028034,00.html
  • Options
    I've not read the book, so can't really comment on it but my guess would be if you swapped the words isreal and arab/palestine any other part of the world where two groups "are at war" then I expect the the story offers valuable insight in to what children and teenagers think and feel and as she says

the book is written through the eyes of a 12-year-old who just sees men with guns.

"The book is not so much about politics as about brothers, friendship, falling in love and football."
  • Options
    But it dares to narrate the daily horrors and humiliations suffered by the Palestinians at the hands of the Israelis. And that musn't be allowed!
  • Options
    Whats in the book doesnt really bother me so much as what the book is...Its a political book aimed at children..That smacks of indoctrination to me..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    As stated in the last thread I am finished with these discussions, at least for now. There's no point in me repeating over and over again what I think, getting frustrated and a headache, only to repeat myself once again.

Fair enough, I just thought she made an interesting point when she talked about book-burning. I'll leave it at that. For now.