Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

racist!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Why does it bother you so much? Y
    Ive already said, its not the fact that they have them, its because white women would not be able to have them.
    This is not what she said. Its what I assumed she may have said however. And I'm sure some mixed race people do have identity problems, but this is not really helped by attitudes like Vicky's, saying that "races aren't supposed to mix". :rolleyes: Is it anywonder mixed race folk have problems with people spouting crap like that?

Do you listen? I meant origanlly!!! Not now, From when we were first on earth...go back and read my posts from the start. I wouldnt have my bro if this was to happen!! You are damn ignorant and have tried to mix up everything I am saying!!!
    Originally posted by Kermit

And anyway in my experinece "personality problem" is an unfortunate phrase but the sentiment is accurate. Mixed-race people generally do not fit snugly into one culture or another. They are not fully British in culture, because their parents are not British, yet they are not their parents' culture because their schools are not. THAT is what has caused the disturbances in Brixton and Toxteth in the 1980s, and then the disgusting violence in Oldham and Bradford recently. Even second-generation Pakistanis and blacks that I know agree with this.
    Yes, I agree and you lots cannot go on denying this, its a fact not a racist comment!
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    Ive already said, its not the fact that they have them, its because white women would not be able to have them.

Because something like that isn't necessary for white women in the UK.

Have you ever lived abroad? You'd be surprised how many clubs and societies there are for white British women who are a minority in a particular country. You can find them all over Europe and the United States. Places where a white woman is not a minority due to the colour of her skin, but due to her nationality. It's exactly the same situation.
    You seem to be very ignorant and/or confused about the history of mankind. I suggest you join a local library and read some books.

You have a problem with what you perceive to be preferential treatment of black and asian people. While maybe not racist (although maybe you should look at some of your attitudes) is certainly ignorant and unthinking.
    So if I was a black or Asian person saying this, would you still say this to me? NO I think not, yet lots of my opinions have been formed from black peoples views!
    Because people aren't dogs. :rolleyes: Do you really need that explaining to you?
    No but each and everyone one of us are animals at the end of the day.

Oh and Blagsta please dont flatter yourself on thinking you have been harsh on me :lol: you have fuelled my own opinion even more ;)

No, you haven't said. Why does it bother you that "white women would not be able to have them."? Do you not acknowledge my point that women's centres are mainly catering for white women anyway, due to white people being in a majority?
    Do you listen? I meant origanlly!!! Not now, From when we were first on earth...go back and read my posts from the start. I wouldnt have my bro if this was to happen!! You are damn ignorant and have tried to mix up everything I am saying!!!

Originally? What? Originally we were all black, the human race evolved in Africa. Your point is? :confused:

You seem to be making a good job of mixing everything up without my help. :rolleyes:
    FAO Kermit
    Hmm, and maybe its that statistically a black man is more likely to have nicked the nice car than a black woman or even a white woman? And do you say that a guy in a white Kappa tracksuit driving a shiny Merc is more likely to be stopped than a guy in a suit? The police are there to arrest CRIMINALS regardless of colour- the situation ahs got so ridiculous in Bradford, for instance, that now the Asians can fire rockets at the main police station and NOT ONE of them is arrested. And then if one is arrested its "called a matrix of fear", and they get a lenient sentence for rioting (including burning down a Labour Club with 100+ people in it) cut even further.

The police are not racist, and Im sick of morons like McPherson and racist vermin like Lawrence saying they are.

Maybe its that statistically any man is likely to have a nicked a car than any woman, more likely, as I can't say I've heard of many female car thieves.

How do you explain the many cases of Black men being stopped while driving home wearing office attire as used to happen to a lot of my friends during the 80s, hardly suspicious is it, a shirt and tie?

And what about the fact that senior policemen (including one I personally heard say this) admitting to the fact of institutional racism that was inherent in the Police Force in the past.

Yes since recognizing this I can say that huge steps have been made in the last ten years believe me I have personally noted this and this has made a vast improvement to relations between the police and ethnic minorities. The police officer I heard discuss this admitted it took time but he was glad when he saw the results and had no wish to return to the 'bad old days' as he put it.

As for calling the Lawrences 'racist vermin' please post some evidence of their racism, I'd like to be educated.
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    Because something like that isn't necessary for white women in the UK.

Have you ever lived abroad? You'd be surprised how many clubs and societies there are for white British women who are a minority in a particular country. You can find them all over Europe and the United States. Places where a white woman is not a minority due to the colour of her skin, but due to her nationality. It's exactly the same situation.

At last, an intelligent comment from someone on this thread. :)
    So if I was a black or Asian person saying this, would you still say this to me? NO I think not, yet lots of my opinions have been formed from black peoples views!

Errr...what? :confused: I have no idea what colour you are. This is the internet. I can't see you y'know. I'm assuming you are white from your comments, but thats merely an assumption.

What makes you think I wouldn't say the same to an asian or black person? If I think someone is talking crap, I tell them, regardless of the colour of their skin. You seem to have a rather large chip on your shoulder about something.
    No but each and everyone one of us are animals at the end of the day.

Yes, we are animals, but (at the risk of repeating myself), we have free will, self awareness, culture, society etc.
    Oh and Blagsta please dont flatter yourself on thinking you have been harsh on me :lol: you have fuelled my own opinion even more ;)

Reinforced your ignorance and prejudice? Thats up to you. But maybe when you grow up a bit and see more of life, you will realise how blinkered your opinions are at the moment.
    Errr...what? :confused: I have no idea what colour you are. This is the internet. I can't see you y'know. I'm assuming you are white from your comments, but thats merely an assumption.

What makes you think I wouldn't say the same to an asian or black person? If I think someone is talking crap, I tell them, regardless of the colour of their skin. You seem to have a rather large chip on your shoulder about something.
    So if a mixed race person was saying what im saying and thats what they felt, you would tell them they are spouting crap? I dont think so dear.
    And back to the point we go...

Many black and asian people feel the same way, Nation of Islam anyone? Or are they OK because theyre not white thugs?

And anyway in my experinece "personality problem" is an unfortunate phrase but the sentiment is accurate. Mixed-race people generally do not fit snugly into one culture or another. They are not fully British in culture, because their parents are not British, yet they are not their parents' culture because their schools are not. THAT is what has caused the disturbances in Brixton and Toxteth in the 1980s, and then the disgusting violence in Oldham and Bradford recently. Even second-generation Pakistanis and blacks that I know agree with this.

Surely most mixed race people have at least one British parent?

I remember clearly the riots of the 80s and witnessed the St Pauls riot (Bristol 1980). It had nothing to do with people being mixed race and much to do with resentment built between young people and the Police, over Police tactics in dealing with people and crime in certain areas.

Riots also occured on many White estates in Bristol and even in places like Hull thus discounting your theory.

You seem to forget about the BNP/football hooligan element that was involved in Oldham. The part they played was shown last year in a documentary on Hooligans shown by the BBC. This was described by someone who was part of them but also working undercover to give information to the Police and Searchlight to stop it going too

far.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hooligans/1959561.stm
    So if a mixed race person was saying what im saying and thats what they felt, you would tell them they are spouting crap? I dont think so dear.

If a mixed race person was telling me that most mixed race people had personality problems, I would question them, yes. If it led on to a discussion about race and societies attitudes, then great.
    But if they told me that they thought that races shouldn't mix, or that mixed race people had personality problems due to some inherent genetic flaw, I would tell them that they are full of shit.
    I know plenty of happy mixed race kids, my ex-g/f's kids for one. Lovely, pleasant, intelligent and balanced teenage lads.
    Just a few thoughts.

Most people want to hold on to their background and culture. That is why the mentioned clubs are made. There is nothing wrong with that. Only gets dangerous, when people don't integrate. No one asks immigrants to assimilate, but to be a useful part of society.

To be honest the whole "personality" problem is not due to skin color, but to culture. Someone coming to England from lets say germany, wouldn't experience as hard a time as someone from Pakistan.

People who have those problems are the ones who don't belong at home as they get too, in this example, English. And at school, they'll always be the stranger.
    Naturally they'll group with people like themselves, and when you don't belong either place you don't care about what you ruin and wreck, it's not yours, why should you care?

The clubs are maybe a way to promote integration. Keeping on to the roots, getting out and interacting with other people, and creating a greater social network.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    So it would be OK for white comedian to make jokes about black people?
    What sort of jokes would a white comedian make about black people?
    Laugh all you want but until you can come up with anything that will change my mind, you wont change my views.
    How's this, then? You said, approximately, that from the beginning, races weren't meant to mix. Does that mean that you think in 'the beginning' there were at least two completely separate races, that became 'whites' and 'blacks' (and are therefore incapable of interbreeding)?

Hmm, caught something about breeding as I clicked back to the beginning of this thread. Hope I'm not repeating an existing argument, but am not deleting this now...
    Because white only clubs are racist. As I said in a previous post - to discount the power relations already inherent in our society when discussing racism is dismissing a fundamental componment of what is going on and is a very flawed analysis.
    Bang on. Otherwise, rape support groups would be labelled discriminatory for only taking in rape victims.
    Re: racist!
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    what does everyone here think of the supposedly prevailing view that white, english people are the only people that are racist?

how often (if ever) do the bnp have a point?

I think your question is so broad it's impossible to answer apart from to say all people can be racist. And people can be racist aainst their own kind - although what is your own can can be broadly definted.

Moroccan Role posted something a while back about being kicked out of his local pub cos the owner only wants people to speak welsh there.

I think Racism is more about belonging to a tribe. Everyone wants to feel like they belong somewhere and have their place in the world and they try to defend their tribe from another. And the harder life is the more people will band together.

You see more news reports about race riots up north where I suspect in some ways life may be tougher - and unemplyment more of a problem so people band together. I think when times are hard people form groups based on race, class, educational background and all sorts of things.

If you watch little toddlers playing together it doesn't matter to them was race the other kids are - just who has the best toy to play with!!
    So you're denying that racism exists within a social context?

Of course racism is social, one group of peoople is discriminatory against another. But why only the powerful group is capable of it, and not the weaker, only you know.

Unless youre trying to insinuate that ethnic minorities need their own group because theyre too weak to cope otehrwise?
    Of course racism is social, one group of peoople is discriminatory against another. But why only the powerful group is capable of it, and not the weaker, only you know.

If you can find where I said that, you can have my next pay cheque.
    Unless youre trying to insinuate that ethnic minorities need their own group because theyre too weak to cope otehrwise?

You're clutching at straws now.
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Surely most mixed race people have at least one British parent?

True. I was a bit vague with my terminology, second-generation immigrants is what I *should* have said:)

Riots also occured on many White estates in Bristol and even in places like Hull thus discounting your theory.

Again true. And as my main point was, it is not a race issue but a poverty issue.

You seem to forget about the BNP/football hooligan element that was involved in Oldham.

I cant speak of Oldham but I can speak of Bradford. In Bradford the "BNP and hooligan" element amounted to thirty skinheads at the Interchange, who were invited to leave Bradford by the police before they were forcibly ejected with "reasonable" force- i.e. go or be smacked by the riot squad. The three thousand Asians then proceeded to throw fire bombs at anyone and everyone, they proceeded to attack any white person they came across, they then proceeded to burn down the Manningham Ward Labour Club, along with the 100 people in the club at the time.

But apparently it was understandable to do this, because thirty fuckwits created "a matrix of fear", and as such already horrifically lenient prison sentences were cut to a length nothing more than a joke. The BNP are not a major actor in any race riot, they are merely an excuse- even the Pakistani business community argued that.
    Again true. And as my main point was, it is not a race issue but a poverty issue.

Poverty played a part, but in general, the early 80's riots in Brixton etc were a reaction to an over zealous use of the sus laws.

But feel free to write a class based analysis...
    True. I was a bit vague with my terminology, second-generation immigrants is what I *should* have said:)

I cant speak of Oldham but I can speak of Bradford. In Bradford the "BNP and hooligan" element amounted to thirty skinheads at the Interchange, who were invited to leave Bradford by the police before they were forcibly ejected with "reasonable" force- i.e. go or be smacked by the riot squad. The three thousand Asians then proceeded to throw fire bombs at anyone and everyone, they proceeded to attack any white person they came across, they then proceeded to burn down the Manningham Ward Labour Club, along with the 100 people in the club at the time.

But apparently it was understandable to do this, because thirty fuckwits created "a matrix of fear", and as such already horrifically lenient prison sentences were cut to a length nothing more than a joke. The BNP are not a major actor in any race riot, they are merely an excuse- even the Pakistani business community argued that.

You can't speak of Oldham, too late you already have.

And as for talking about the riots, you have now said it was all about poverty! What exactly are your sources of information on this?
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    What sort of jokes would a white comedian make about black people?

Bernard Manning. I find his OLD jokes offensive, because he liked saying ****** an awful lot, and complained about black people taking housing and jobs away from the blacks. But that was in the 60's, 70s. In the 70s, he went to a posh restaurant and refused to pay because the waitress was from Nigeria.

But now, he has cut out the racism, but does touch on race, and black/asian people enjoy his shows. My favourite joke of his is " Over in the USA, in 60s, a black man being chased by white folk with clubs was the KKK, now its the PGA" :lol:

I think mixed raced relationships can work, if the parents can act like adults, I think people should vote Lib Dem because there idea of equality is actually an equal playing field i.e. colour doesnt come into it. No quotas for coloured people ( I'll say coloured because Im classing all non-whites together) and all that rubbish which the Labour government has.

I think Blagsta should stop taking everything Vicky says as a malicious racist comment, and that on friday night, she puts on an England football shirt and carries a Union Jack around Hounslow, I think when white people are still 93% of the population, they dont need white-only clubs, because there will be clubs where 93% of people are white. I think people should be differenciate between a club being all-white/black/asian/french/kazakhstani and an exclusive club for people who are of a certain race. Have any of you tried going to an Afro-Carribean club with some black friends? Im sure you wouldnt be kicked out. Whereas an Pakistani in a working mans club in the 70s would have been punched, spat on, and called every name under the sun. My dad went into one in the 80s and everyone made monkey noises.

I think I should once again say I am black, before blagsta says the same things to me he said to the delightful Vicky. I think I should shut up now.

VOTE BNP

that was just to wind up the Blagsta's PC brigade :P
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I think Blagsta should stop taking everything Vicky says as a malicious racist comment, and that on friday night, she puts on an England football shirt and carries a Union Jack around Hounslow,

I never said thats what I thought. She's probably a nice enough person, just a bit ignorant and unthinking.
    I think when white people are still 93% of the population, they dont need white-only clubs, because there will be clubs where 93% of people are white. I think people should be differenciate between a club being all-white/black/asian/french/kazakhstani and an exclusive club for people who are of a certain race. Have any of you tried going to an Afro-Carribean club with some black friends? Im sure you wouldnt be kicked out. Whereas an Pakistani in a working mans club in the 70s would have been punched, spat on, and called every name under the sun. My dad went into one in the 80s and everyone made monkey noises.

Exactly.
    I think I should once again say I am black, before blagsta says the same things to me he said to the delightful Vicky. I think I should shut up now.

Why would I say the same things to you? :confused: Regardless of your colour, you are not arguing that it is unfair for minorites to have their own social support networks. You see the need for it.
    VOTE BNP

that was just to wind up the Blagsta's PC brigade :P

I'm not part of the "PC brigade" (whatever that means), I use an Apple Mac :p
    Bernard Manning.

That wasn't an answer to the question 'What sort of jokes would a white comedian make about black people (or white people, for that matter)?', though. I have an inkling that a joke based on skin colour, unless it was about Michael Jackson, wouldn't get much of a laugh these days.
    I think Blagsta should stop taking everything Vicky says as a malicious racist comment, and that on friday night, she puts on an England football shirt and carries a Union Jack around Hounslow, I think when white people are still 93% of the population, they dont need white-only clubs, because there will be clubs where 93% of people are white. I think people should be differenciate between a club being all-white/black/asian/french/kazakhstani and an exclusive club for people who are of a certain race. Have any of you tried going to an Afro-Carribean club with some black friends? Im sure you wouldnt be kicked out. Whereas an Pakistani in a working mans club in the 70s would have been punched, spat on, and called every name under the sun. My dad went into one in the 80s and everyone made monkey noises.
    I think a lot of people fail to understand that Vicky is talking about white only (support) clubs in other countries. Having said that, I don't agree with her entirely. Just being white gives one an awful lot of cache almost anywhere in the world, excepting maybe Zimbabwe. Respect for the former British Empire lingers on, not entirely without reason, to be fair. How much that respect is merited anymore is another matter.
    I can't quite understand why people only have an issue with Black or Asian clubs, in Bristol we have Irish and a Polish club.

In New York there are Italian, Greek, Haitian and while I was there even an English club.

Abroad I've seen many a British expat club. So whats the problem?