Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Israel - Targetted Killings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do people thing about Israel's policy of targetted killings? Such as sending helicopters to kill very specific targets?

I'm no expert on what's happening overthere but it does worry me that a government thinks that sort of thing is OK.

It's like in the days when the UK was always being bombed by the IRA - it's not as if the UK then sent planes to bomb Ireland.

So I find it hard to understand how it's justified - aren't governments supposed to be above all of that sort of thing and not come down to the level of terriorists or do you think it's all justified.

http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=DACA7D2A-0268-42D7-90D175220F6CE5B9

http://www.sunnt.com/news/world/world.asp?id=10728

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Targetted killings are the best thing they can do.

I am sorry but it's either the death of a terrorist, or 20 people, like the bus bomb from earlier this week.

Have a better suggestion?
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Targetted killings are the best thing they can do.

I am sorry but it's either the death of a terrorist, or 20 people, like the bus bomb from earlier this week.

Have a better suggestion?

So the death of innocent civilians from the Israeli helicopter attacks is okay as long as they get the terrorist? Also remember that if you kill a high profile Hamas leader you just encourage more Palestinians to seek revenge thus leading to a huge cycle of more and more deaths - and that's the best they can do? The thing is all decisions that claim violence is the way to beat the terror on both sides don't bring security because they encourage the cycle of violence, in the end it comes down to who will run out of people to kill first - it's insane and doesn't bring true security to either side.

A better suggestion would be to ditch Sharon, get a Prime Minister willing to compromise and negociate with the Palestinians who are suffering just as much as the Israelis. You will never have true security in Israel and Palestine without a fair and just peace.
    For starters use correct terms when discussing. There hasn't been a Palestine since 1948.

Secondly I think the stand of not doing anything to prevent further terror attacks is pathetic.
    I'd much rather have someone in charge of the terror attacks dying than risking that the next time a bus blows up I am in it, or some of my family.

Even if they replaced Sharon with Yosie Sarid it wouldn't help zilch. The Palestinians have had so many different offers from so many different leaders, and they've managed to decline ever offer from the initial offer in 1948 by the UN 'till today.
    Jac. I was half expecting you to say something like that ... I've noticed from previous postings you seem to be very anti Muslim. I recall you saying in one posting something like you can find a little bit to learn from every religion EXCEPT Islam - which I'm guessing from your previous postings you are Jewish seems a funny thing to say - since the Jews and Muslims have so much in common.

They both only believe in a single God, unlike many religons that believe in several Gods and some that even have statues of what these Gods Look Like.

Neither eat pork.

Both practise male circumcision.

etc, etc ...

Quite a few things in common to name but a few ...

It's a real shame they don't get on in the in that part of the world because they have so many things in common but I think when a goverment goes around killing people then there's no real hope for peace. How do you know for example the suicide bombers aren't Jewish or Christian or some other faith going there to further some other cause like to keep the fighting going? I'm sure a lot of these people that blow themselves up are either mad or brainwashed but is that an excuse for another country's government to go an bomb people in a tit for tat exchange?

Governments are supposed to be above all that sort of thing and are supposed to take the higher moral ground and they've been plenty of mistake made by Israel in the past like them target a refugee camp and killing innocent women and children .. and yes I know you're gonna mention innocent people in pizza palours, etc being killed but that's the work of someone who's been brainwashed or something - very different from ministers sitting at a table and saying we'll send our planes and gunship to X, y and z and kills these people today in retaliation.
    Erm, can I please see what you're referring to when saying anti muslim?
    And can I see the post you're referring to?

I wish you didn't conclude such stuff about me, before you got your facts straight. My moms best friends is muslim, I've grown up with some of the traditions and the food and culture.

I really don't need you to lecture me about stuff I already know about religions.

As said earlier, I'd rather people in charge were gotten rid off before it's too late. Before 20 new people die in a bus bomb.
    What is your suggestion? Should teh Israeli government watch while Palestinian organisations and their supporters confirm to the worls that their goal is to get rid of all Israelis and Jews?

Ideology and the likes are worth nothing, when they're weighed against humn lives.
    here you go:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17230&perpage=15&highlight=islam&pagenumber=3

Jacqueline the Ripper 22-05-2002 10:17 PM

Didn't mention Judaism in this thread. I am just saying, that Islam has not taught me anything practical which I can use.

I can see elements in almost every other religions which are useful.

Many other religions preach charity and humility as well, but they don't start preaching about how to lock a wife in and beating her up if she disobeys her husband!
    What Islam preaches which I consider constructive, is the same in Christianity and Judaism.
    Islam doesn't have a specific unique thing it preaches which other of those religions don't, which I think has any relevance to me.

I think I made that pretty clear in the last part of that quote you used.

Btw, while we're at it. What has this post got to do with Islam?
    The targeted killings are necessary , you cannot let terrorism go unpunished.

The Palestinians hate the Jews , how often have the leaders of Hamas or Hizbollah pledged to kill every last Jew in the Holy Land? Too many times to mention.

Those terrorist groups are essentially the same as Al Queda , and most be exterminated , not understodd or appeased , but wiped off the face of the earth.

As for Islam , it is just as worthy as Christianity or Judaism , but it has been spun and bent by evil men as a tool to fight the west and everything it stands for.
    Well Jac. you kind of muddied your argument with bringing in wife beating, etc ...

Most of the time you say lots of useful and well thought out things but sometimes you seem to bring in very personal and quite insulting comments which dilutes the other words you say.

.. Talking about locking your wife up and beating her??? That's such an arwful thing for anyone to say ...

There are extremists in every religion ... but you seem to be biased with regards to the Muslim faith and it seems to cloud the things you say and your thought processes. And the thoughts and opinions of your Mum's friend isn't really representative of the 840+ Million Muslims in the world.

You say bombing one terrorist helps prevent 20 people being killed by a suicide bomber? Does it .. I'd love to know how??
    He's not the one actually going in with a bomb strapped to his chest. You're probabaly right - doing nothing may not help - but killing people in retaliation don't seem to be working great either. You go in and kill one Terriorist and another suicide bomber goes and kills 20 Jews - a 20 to 1 ratio - at that rate they'd be no Jews left. The maths isn't on your side. There's got to be a better way to peace then that - and I'm shocked a smart girl like you hasn't got any suggestions.

On a sideline - I'd love to hear the practical things you've learn't from other religions .. I'm really curious to know what you've learn't from them that is unique to each religion - that isn't already part of the Christian or Jewish faith.

You might want to have a look at the website below too:

http://www.religioustolerance.org
    Originally posted by The Matadore

The Palestinians hate the Jews , how often have the leaders of Hamas or Hizbollah pledged to kill every last Jew in the Holy Land? Too many times to mention.

Those terrorist groups are essentially the same as Al Queda , and most be exterminated , not understodd or appeased , but wiped off the face of the earth.

As for Islam , it is just as worthy as Christianity or Judaism , but it has been spun and bent by evil men as a tool to fight the west and everything it stands for.

So how about sending in Israeli special forces - capturing this guy and giving him a trial instead?

Isn't that the more civilised thing to do for a government?

Governments can't bring themselves down to the level of terriosts because they become exactly the same thing they try to stop and even if they did they'd never win until they also were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice and become suicide killers themselves.

It's near impossible to stop people that are not only willing to risk their lives for a cause like a soldier but actually go out to do something knowing they'll be dead because of it.

And as mentioned in previous post there's an estimated 840+ Million Muslims in the world - only a small fraction of them do anything but live in total peace with their neighbours.
    I am biased against Hamas, fatah, Islamic Jihad, Al Qaeda, Hizbolla, etc. Who all happen to be muslims.
    That's it. It's not about the religion of Islam. If you want to discuss that, I suggest someone open a new thread.

The leaders are the ones funding, and making these operations come to life. They do indeed have a lot to do with what's happening.

You still haven't answered, what does one do in this situation? Live and accept terror attack after terror attack?

This whole things isn't about maths it's about strategics. Operation Defence Wall slowed and got rid of a lot of then upcoming terror attacks. Being a step ahead has paid off, while playing nice and thinking that everything is in perfect order when it in reality isn't, has backfired bigstyle.

A better way to peace would be that both sides decided to get forward, instead of dwelling.

Religion - Again, i suggest someone starts a new thread dedicated to religion.
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    So how about sending in Israeli special forces - capturing this guy and giving him a trial instead?

Isn't that the more civilised thing to do for a government?

Duvdevan, best military unit in the world, You won't find them better.

If Israel was really that mean, they'd have bombed by air, and not risked a single soldiers life. Much easier.
    So how about sending in Israeli special forces - capturing this guy and giving him a trial instead

Why risk the soldiers? Why give him a trial? What gives him the right to life?

You cannot negociate , but you can stop them by force.
    I am biased against Hamas, fatah, Islamic Jihad, Al Qaeda, Hizbolla, etc. Who all happen to be muslims.
    That's it. It's not about the religion of Islam. If you want to discuss that, I suggest someone open a new thread.

The leaders are the ones funding, and making these operations come to life. They do indeed have a lot to do with what's happening.

You still haven't answered, what does one do in this situation? Live and accept terror attack after terror attack?

This whole things isn't about maths it's about strategics. Operation Defence Wall slowed and got rid of a lot of then upcoming terror attacks. Being a step ahead has paid off, while playing nice and thinking that everything is in perfect order when it in reality isn't, has backfired bigstyle.

A better way to peace would be that both sides decided to get forward, instead of dwelling.

Religion - Again, i suggest someone starts a new thread dedicated to religion.

Now that's the girl I know ... good to see you getting in there with the best of them ... lovely to see that wonderful mind of yours in action and even better to see how many times you mention me in your faceparty too !!!! ... LOL

I think one of the big problems with this conflct is that it has been going on for so long - it's no longer a problem in that part of the world tha needs soughting out - but a way of life and people on both sides who can remember much more peaceful times are probably old and grey or dead!!

Do you think that perhaps the people in that part of the world are almost too close to the problem to view it fairly and see each other's point of view?

If I was searching for peace i'd want to try and find out what each side had in common and try and build upon this - there are always extremists that try and spin a situation for their own gains and it's really bad when a minority of people screw things up for the rest of their own kind... like the way 3 or 4 men on septemeber 11th did something that had brought a bad light on the lives of Millions of Muslims around the world who live each day in peace.
    Mutual base would indeed be the best way to connect to people. But to be honest I don't know, how to convince the two people.
    Why risk the soldiers? Why give him a trial? What gives him the right to life?

You cannot negociate , but you can stop them by force.

Sometimes taking the higherground and doing the right thing means sacrifice.

The Americans haven't got Saddam hussein - but if they really wanted to ensure they got him - all they had to do was fire a few nuclear weapons at Iraq and kill everyone in the country.

No need to send so many troops in - spent Billions on the cost of war. Just a few million on some Nuclear weapons and problem over .. right?? No US solders would have died and conflict would be over in about 30 minutes then years and years as it will probabaly take in Iraq.

... now I'm sure morally you'd agree that killing Millions of innocent people is totally the wrong thing to do.

Even the people that did the lockerbie bombing got a trial - we didn't send in planes to bomb Libya. We don't send in planes to bomb Ireland because of the IRA.

Government are supposed to be above assasination even if it's a greater sacrifice in the end.
    more like what 15-20 men did on sept 11.
    For starters use correct terms when discussing. There hasn't been a Palestine since 1948.

Secondly I think the stand of not doing anything to prevent further terror attacks is pathetic.
    I'd much rather have someone in charge of the terror attacks dying than risking that the next time a bus blows up I am in it, or some of my family.

Even if they replaced Sharon with Yosie Sarid it wouldn't help zilch. The Palestinians have had so many different offers from so many different leaders, and they've managed to decline ever offer from the initial offer in 1948 by the UN 'till today.

There is a Palestinian representative in the United Nations therefore the international community accepts that there is a nation of Palestine. So I think it is you who should use the correct terms Jacq.

On the contrary, I think the course of action I suggested would prevent more terrorism attacks. You play right into the terrorists hands everytime you attack Palestine - Hamas can then go "Look, see, we're right the Israelis hate us and trying to kill us, we have to fight back." You may think you're putting water on the fire of terrorism - in fact you're pouring petrol on the fire whenever you attack Palestine in the guise of self-defence. If you show the terrorists claims to be ridiculous they have less recruits and so less threat from fewer suicide bombers and it's easier to round up the few terrorist leaders who remain.

If you look at the history books you'll find that the Palestinians begrudingly accepted the 1948 UN settlement until the Israelis drove the Palestinians out of their homes. Further settlements have been wrecked by further Israeli invasions. Is it really surprising the Palestinians don't trust the Israelis as far as they could throw them? Look at the history of this conflict - the mosr progress has been made when Israel was willing to compromise and use peaceful methods to deal with the Palestinians.
    The UN may accept the coming of a Palestinian state, but for the moment such a thing does not exist, and it's stupid to pretend so, when teh whole conflict is about that.

If there was a state of Palestine, then why have this discussion in the first place.

Secondly which progresses are you talking about? Oslo? Cause I wouldn't call that succesful in any way.

So then it's justified for the Palestinians not to let the terrorism they suffer go unpunished? Because that's how they see it and so you have a cycle of violence.

How often have Zionists said similar things about the Palestinians and refused to compromise for peace?

Fact is if you look at history it's only when you compromise with freedom fighters/terrorists depending on your definition, that you achieve peace. How many lives would be lost in the bloodshed of an insane quest to wipe the terrorists off the earth? How many extra terrorists do these organisations get when you murder their people?

Just as Christianity has been spun and bent by George Bush and Tony Blair as a tool to fight the Arab world and all it stands for?
    The UN may accept the coming of a Palestinian state, but for the moment such a thing does not exist, and it's stupid to pretend so, when teh whole conflict is about that.

If there was a state of Palestine, then why have this discussion in the first place.

Secondly which progresses are you talking about? Oslo? Cause I wouldn't call that succesful in any way.

It did exist, they had their own police force and government headquarters until Sharon went and destroyed them. The borders are all there, the Palestinian state still exists just as France, Belgium and Norway still existed when they were occupied by the Nazis - sorry for the extreme comparison it was the only one I could think of. There is a reason the West Bank and Gaza Strip are referred to as "the occupied territories" and that is because Israel occupies the state of Palestine.

That is what the discussion is about the occupation of the state of Palestine by Israel. The state of Palestine exists, the international community accepts this - why can't you?

Yes Oslo and the progress made when Ehud Barak was Prime Minister, funny how the suicide bombings only began after Ariel Sharon took office with a vehmently anti-Palestinian attitude - it is only when you have both governments working for peace that you can achieve the sense of security both peoples crave.
    I think the leaders of both sides need to be kidnapped, locked in a big room and told they're not coming out until they get things sorted!!!

At the end of the day all these major world leaders hide behind their staff - there use to be a time when the leader of one tribe would go hand to hand with the leader of another and do their own dirty work.

But these days they simply give the orders and send in their soldiers or gunships or suicide bombers to do the dirty work for them. The people of both side are basicially all good - honest - peaceful people - but it's usually their leaders (from both sides) that are screwed up in someway.
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    It did exist, they had their own police force and government headquarters until Sharon went and destroyed them. The borders are all there, the Palestinian state still exists just as France, Belgium and Norway still existed when they were occupied by the Nazis - sorry for the extreme comparison it was the only one I could think of. There is a reason the West Bank and Gaza Strip are referred to as "the occupied territories" and that is because Israel occupies the state of Palestine.

That is what the discussion is about the occupation of the state of Palestine by Israel. The state of Palestine exists, the international community accepts this - why can't you?

Yes Oslo and the progress made when Ehud Barak was Prime Minister, funny how the suicide bombings only began after Ariel Sharon took office with a vehmently anti-Palestinian attitude - it is only when you have both governments working for peace that you can achieve the sense of security both peoples crave.

Whoa!

Would you mind to check your drivel before you post it. The Gaza and West bank were conquered by Israel under wars by Jordan, Syria and Egypt!
    Those territories have never belonged to the Palestinian people.

There is no palestine state as present, finito. i don't see why you wanna argue and display your srupidity on the case?

The current intifada began while Barak was in charge.

I beg of you to double check before letting uncorrect stuff out on the internet. You don't know who's reading and takes every word here for fact.

Thank you.
    Whoa!

Would you mind to check your drivel before you post it. The Gaza and West bank were conquered by Israel under wars by Jordan, Syria and Egypt!
    Those territories have never belonged to the Palestinian people.

There is no palestine state as present, finito. i don't see why you wanna argue and display your srupidity on the case?

The current intifada began while Barak was in charge.

I beg of you to double check before letting uncorrect stuff out on the internet. You don't know who's reading and takes every word here for fact.

Thank you.

Excuse me my "drivel" is not drivel thank you. Under the 1948 agreement by the UN the land was all there for the Palestinian state but as we agree was conquered by Israel. The fact is the territory was all there for the Palestinians but the Israelis conquered it which is what I said.

There is a Palestinian state, however much you may want to put your fingers in your ears and hope it'll all go away. It has a President, a Prime Minister, a cabinet, a police force (or did), has the land allocated for it, has a flag. It has been recognised by the United Nations as a state so it exists, just as Norway and France existed when they were occupied during World War Two.

The current intifada began in 1988 last time I heard. Despite that the suicide bombings only began once Sharon took office and adopted his hard line approach towards the Palestinians.

I admit my knowledge as to exact names and dates is a bit sketchy but I know what events happened and the broad trend from studying it in history.
    Current intifada started at September 2000. I think Sharon was elected in November.

The territories were not there for the Palestinians, as fact is that the countries didn't give them away, and never negotiated with Israel to get them back.
    I do not post much and generaly just read what other post.

However in this situation i want to make a point.

"The Jewish people have been victims of anti-Semitism in many parts of the world, and in Europe they were the target of the Holocaust -- the ultimate abomination. This fact must never be forgotten, or diminished...Yet we cannot expect Palestinians to accept this as a reason why the wrongs done to them -- displacement, occupation, blockade, and now extra-judicial killings -- should be ignored."

Kofi Annan,
    Secretary General,
    United Nations,
    August 2001
    Presumably you then wouldn't have a problem if Ariel Sharon was targeted and assassinated by Palestinian militants. Or are you suggesting that atrocities committed while sitting in government or wearing an army uniform are any less reproachable?

It's stupid generalisations like this that help perpetuate the conflict and denotes a lack of understanding by so many in the West.

Some Palestinians hate the Jews. And some Jews hate the Palestinians and have mentioned in countless occasions their desire never to concede one centimetre of Jewish land to them and to drive all Arabs out of their land.

Have a look at these little gems:
    "We declare openly that the Arabs have no right to settle on even one centimeter of Eretz Israel... Force is all they do or ever will understand. We shall use the ultimate force until the Palestinians come crawling to us on all fours." Rafael Eitan, Chief of Staff of the Israeli Defense Forces - Gad Becker, Yediot Ahronot 13 April 1983, New York Times 14 April 1983.
    "We have to kill all the Palestinians unless they are resigned to live here as slaves." Chairman Heilbrun of the Committee for the Re-election of General Shlomo Lahat, the mayor of Tel Aviv, October 1983.
    We must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation, and the cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab population." Israel Koenig, "The Koenig Memorandum"

You were saying?
    Thing is that the Israeli government are trying to stop these people from hurting the Palestinians, and succesfully doing so. Except from Goldstein, I can't think of another Jewish terrorist.

Palestinians on the other side, have the "revolving door jailing system", even after the crime has been committed.
    Well that can be remedied quickly enough. At the end of the day there wasn't a kingdom of Israel until 1948, and now some would have us believe it's been always like that.
    Oh but something can be done to stop the attacks. Stop immediately and permanently the occupation of Palestinian land, dismantle every last one of the illegal settlements, recognise and respect the 1967 borders, return all other stolen land and recognise the right of return for refugees, as per 27 trillion UN resolutions. And of course, dismantle the Apartheid Wall of Evil and recognise the State of Palestine.

You will then see how quickly any militant organisation that still plans to remain active would be quickly removed by the Palestinian Authority, how relations with other Arab nations would improve by 5,000%, and how the two nations would be able to co-exist peacefully.

But why do what is right when your government can carry on oppressing a people and attempt to permanently appropriate all Palestinian land eh?

Are you really surprised that the Palestinians, freshly robbed of their land would have accepted any compromise without a fight in 1948?

None of the other offers have been much good. The Oslo accords have been continuously ignored by the Israeli government, and the much trumpeted "generous offer" by Barak turned out to be not so generous.
    Current intifada started at September 2000. I think Sharon was elected in November.
    And we all know what triggered the intifada, don't we?