Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Today a remarkable landmark was passed

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    The Iraq liberation was one of the most revolutionary occurances in the Mid East since the fall of the Ottoman Empire
    Firstly it was an occupation, not a liberation. And secondly, there have been more significant events in the Middle East throughout the last 100 years.

This is just the last aggression perpetrated by a US government obsessed with greed and control and disrespectful of everyone else.

the whole region is poised on a new era of secular democracy
    They wish!

and you people care what some journalist thought about a dossier?

Get your priorites straight.
    No, what we care is about our government and Prime Minister LYING to its people and parliament as well as the UN, breaking the law and engaging in an ILLEGAL war under false pretenses that has cost the lives of tens of thousands in the space of a few weeks.

You would think that such actions are grave enough for people to demand a full investigation and for anyone responsible to be prosecuted. But it'd seems that when the agenda suits it's okay to look the other way.

The BBCs coverage of the war was purile , the license fee should be abolished.

The BBC continues to view the world through the lens of the soft left , it beleives that terrorists should be 'understood' and maintains a distaste for America , Israel and the west in general , and any belief which unites them such as Christianity.
    Well that's almost word by word the infamous and universally ridiculed letter the owner of the Daily Telegraph sent to his own paper for publication.

Let me put something straight: the BBC is NOT anti-America, is NOT anti-Israel, was NOT anti-war and is NOT anti-government.

It would seem that anyone who dares question some of the more unpleasant ways of Bush, Blair or Sharon must be a Jew-hating loony leftie. I mean, how dare they say some of the things these 3 fine gentlemen do are wrong! :rolleyes:

Have a look at this and tell me again how anti-war the BBC is.
    Ahh yes, Mat once more assumes the role of spokesman for the woefully propagandised Murdoch right wing again. :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Ahh yes, Mat once more assumes the role of spokesman for the woefully propagandised Murdoch right wing again. :rolleyes:

And you're here representing the loony left. :rolleyes:

Just because somebody disagrees with you, doesn't make them wrong. Personally, I find your cynicism very boring.
    No I represent those who recognise that our government leaders have abused their powers, betrayed the public trust, violated countless international laws and human rights in their bid for more power and economic control. Thats neither left nor right, it's responible civic duty.

Those who merely regurgitate the spin that has already been demonstrably shown to be nothing more than outright fabrications to protect vested political interests will always earn their just criticism.

If you find it boring then im sure there are other fine forums you could be reading instead.
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    The Iraq liberation was one of the most revolutionary occurances in the Mid East since the fall of the Ottoman Empire , the whole region is poised on a new era of secular democracy , and you people care what some journalist thought about a dossier?

Get your priorites straight.

It was another country invading Iraq to pillage its wealth in oil and reconstruction contracts and ruin the lives of the Iraqi people. They have no law and order, little electricity and little water and there are masses of armed vigiliantes roaming the streets - hardly successful is it? Especially when you consider that before 1991 Iraq was a wealthy country, had a decent infrastructure and decent public services - all of which were wrecked by Britain and America either through their bombs or their crippling sanctions. Iraq is currently being ruled by the Americans with a few ex-pat Iraqis as a theoretical sounding board. Iraq has always been a secular nation, even under Saddam it was secular so let's not have the right wing BS about Saddam being in cohoots with bin Laden. All that has happened is Iraq has a new set of colonial masters, hardly significant in world history for a proud nation which has been screwed over by the British and Americans many times before - the British ruling Iraq as a colony and the CIA helping Saddam into power.

The BBCs coverage of the war was purile , the license fee should be abolished.

The BBC continues to view the world through the lens of the soft left , it beleives that terrorists should be 'understood' and maintains a distaste for America , Israel and the west in general , and any belief which unites them such as Christianity.

Sadly the Hutton Inquiry will result in a few slapped wrists on all sides , the BBC should be a completly impartial organisation , its the least we deserve after it takes 116 pounds off of every household a year for the right to watch television , even if we do not watch the BBC.

The government should level the playing field.

Perhaps you'd prefer Sky News' computer generated bombs with sound effects rather than see the consequences of the bombing on the BBC? Why as a supposed right-winger do you seek to destroy the last and probably greatest institution this country posesses?

I'd rather the BBC brought me both points of view and let me make up my own mind rather than Fox News' style of propaganda of America is always right. I'd be surprised if Israel found Christianity a uniting point! :lol:

I agree it's a tragedy the Hutton Inquiry's judgement will not be worth the paper it's printed on when it should call on the Prime Minister to resign for the blood on his hands over Dr Kelly's death. The BBC provides the highest quality broadcasting in the world - perhaps you haven't seen much foreign TV, I have, it is in most cases packed full of cheap American sitcoms and adverts every 30 seconds.

The BBC may not be totally impartial but it provides the nearest we'll ever get - why don't you investigate ITV News' direct links to the Conservatives rather than a percieved left-wing bias in the BBC? The £116 licence fee not only pays for all BBC TV channels, it also provides a BBC local radio station for everyone, 5 National radio stations, one of the best sites on the net - very good value for money in my opinion. Incidentally, Britain's newspapers are overwhelmingly right-wing so I think the BBC does level out the playing field in the British media.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    I think a UN army is a decent idea, then when action is required, all nations will contribute. It's a much more sensible idea than having an EU army anyway.
    Or perhaps a UN air force, or navy. Some nuclear missiles would be handy. Not a chance of any of that happening, though.
    It is probably another no-no, but if the right of veto were to be scrapped and decisions could be taken on a majority vote the UN would be able to intervene more often and more drastically. Members could then contribute with their own armed forces, and a EU force would be as good as any. The major objection to it (I hear Greenhat scream from the distance!), the lack of air transport, will be solved in 4 years when the first Airbuses A400M get delivered to European countries. Some 180 will be delivered providing more air support than anyone could wish for.

The EU army is not designed to embark in Imperialistic missions but would be more than capable to act as an UN agent for peace-keeping missions anywhere.
    Speaking of landmarks...

yet another one has been passed. As of today 141 US soldiers have now been killed since the "end of hostilities" (sic) was announced by a triumphant Dubya on May 1st. That's already 2 more US casualties than the 'war' itself produced.

How long will it take before the US public- or the families of soldiers at least- demand the immediate return of US troops?

It's not as if Dubya cares one iota about their well-being anyway. When the prospect of a long guerrilla war was first mentioned the brave President said "Let them come".

:rolleyes:
    Just goes to add additional reinforcement to the old (and true) addage that pride cometh before a fall.