Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cricket

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
OK over the past few days I've tried to watch the cricket on channel 4, I really have! But I just don't have a clue what's going on, I feel I'm being denied something great! :crazyeyes

So could somebody please explain to me the basic rules and gameplay of cricket? I thought the idea was the winning team was the one with the most runs after all their players have been batted out, but then I hear all about wickets and so on!

PLEASE HELP ME!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The basic rules aren't that difficult, wickets are when a player is out (like batted out), the real basics are here http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/sports/A0857624.html , try googling for some more complex rules.
  • Options
    Re: Cricket
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    I feel I'm being denied something great! :crazyeyes

You did say cricket right? :rolleyes: :eek: :D

:p
  • Options
    I agree they're complicated for the uninitiated, but aren't hard to get a grip on. I'm not a huge fan, but I've been watching quite a lot of this series and bowing down to Graeme Smith and Makhaya Ntini! There's a few intricacies that I still don't get, like the lbw rule - it can depend on where the ball pitches, whether the batsman attempts a shot and stuff, but most of it isn't too hard.

Basically, it's 2 innings each team (if necessary) and whoever has either the most runs at the end of the two innings or has batsmen still to come when the opponents are bowled out is the winner. For example, today England were bowled out in their second innings, still 90-odd runs short of SA's first innings total. Therefore it made no sense for SA to bat again as England hadn't reached their score. SA won. Is that simple enough?
  • Options
    Yup thanks, that's helped clear up a few things for me. I think I've got the basic gist of it. Typical that happens when it finishes! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Test matches are a bit more complex than the 1-dayers.

Basically for a test match - To win the match you have to bowl a team out twice.

Because in a test, you can fail to get the runs needed to win the test but if the other team can't get you out then it ends in a draw.

e.g.
    S.A. (first innings) 500 all out
    England (first innings) 400 all out

S.A. (second innings) 300 all out (England NEED 401 to win)
    England (second innings) 300 for 6

(England haven't reached the target but S.A. haven't bowled them out twice so its a draw)

There is really too many rules to write out on here but that is basically it for a test match.
  • Options
    gotta say cricket is a great sport, most people slag it off, but you have gotta admire the players, the level of skill involved in hitting a 90mph object heading towards you in a certain place takes a lot

i used to play it a fair bit at school, and got coaching from a test player, i regret giving it up, and my enjoyment has certainly come back since becoming a member at worcestershire county cricket club

and plus, there arent many better excuses for sitting in the sun all day drinking beer :D