Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hiroshima/Nagasaki

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Shogun
    :yes:

But America do what they want and will always do what they want...someone needs to stop them.

As has been said before, any of the major powers involved in WW2 would have used the atomic bomb had they gotten them first. Lets not kid ourselves into thinking we were any better than the Americans.
    Originally posted by Balddog
    As has been said before, any of the major powers involved in WW2 would have used the atomic bomb had they gotten them first. Lets not kid ourselves into thinking we were any better than the Americans.

you got any evidence to show this....i don't think they would have bombed Japan though.
    It would have never come to that.

How can you possibly come to that conclusion?

Japan is mountainous , the only non mountainous parts are cities , there is very little farmland.

It has to import nearly all its raw materials.

Make no mistake , a siege would have resulted in the deaths of millions.
    But America do what they want and will always do what they want...someone needs to stop them.

You make it sound like America wanted this war and all the devastation and deaths it caused.

Need I remind you that without American help the whole of continental Europe would be Communist?
    I must say I agree with Balddog on that... The British did not have any problems in firebombing and dam-bombing anything that stood in their path. Those operations were specifically design to produce the maximum amount of death and destruction possible. AFAIK no officer or government official in charge at the time did ever apologise or show remorse for the destruction of Dresden, which killed far more than the Hiroshima blast.

As for Hitler, well I don't think anyone doubts he would have used the A-bomb. He was mad enough and was trying to produce it during the war.

I don't know for sure about the Russians but Stalin was as mad as a hatter and happy to machine-gun those in his own army who dared to retreat during an assault. It is quite possible he would have used A-bombs at the height of the Nazi campaign in Russia.

The Italians probably wouldn't have though. Nor that there was much danger of them producing an A-bomb. ;)
    The firebombing of Dresden was terrible and of questionable military value , but it pales in comparison to German and Soviet atrocities on the Eastern Front.
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    The firebombing of Dresden was terrible and of questionable military value , but it pales in comparison to German and Soviet atrocities on the Eastern Front.

Im not so sure :/

We knew Dresden was a civilian population centre, we set it on fire and burned men, women and children to death.

The eastern front was total war in that it was soldiers vs soldiers and civilians getting in the middle. The crimes on the front line are also less likely to be govt policy but rather the actions of small unit commanders etc.

Its unfair to condemn those in the past for their actions based on todays standards. Mass bombings of civilian centres was acceptable behaviour back then, it wasnt out of the ordinary. By todays standards, most of WW2 was a war crime.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we should remember that those fighting for their lives at the time didnt have the benefit of it :)
    Originally posted by Shogun
    you got any evidence to show this....i don't think they would have bombed Japan though.

I cant prove a hypothetical mate :/

but theres nothing to suggest that the russians, the brits, the germans or the japanese had superior morals to the americans. Everyone mentioned above was perfectly happy killing civilians by the truckload..If they had the opportunity to win the war with nuclear weapons, I have no doubt every one of them would have used them.