Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Motivation

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This may seem like an odd question, but has anyone got any tips for staying motivated?

I start college (again!) on September 2nd, and this time i really want to stick at it and do good. Then go and do Retail Management somewhere. My parents are being really encouraging but my mates keep trying to bring me down. Saying im gonna be poor, that im posh and all this. I get sudden bursts of ambition but like i said my mates usually get rid of it by putting me down! Theres nothing wrong with my mates, they just expect people to be sales assistants/single mothers from the age of 16!

So i need some ideas on how i can stay interested. If any! :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How about getting a part-time job in a place similar to the type you fancy running one day? With a bit of luck, you might find that your boss is someone you can look upto and someone who will inspire you to keep going and work hard to reach your goal of being a retail manager (if that's the right phrase!). It'll give you variety (and a short break!) from your college work, and valuable experience for the future - not just for WHEN you go into retail management, but general stuff like communication skills, people skills, and time management skills that you'll need no matter what industry you go into :) And if you get on really well, you never know where it might lead - if you pick a large company who run a management training scheme you might be able to join once you finish college :)
    :lol: <--- Do this at your mates! Might seem harsh but they'll get the picture. Good mates should never put you down for something you want to do! How childish! You go out there and do it for yourself, like you know you can.

Satying motivated is hard - you have to remember why you wanted to do something in the first place. Perhaps you can look at the people around you who are 16 year old single mother shop assistants and tell yourself you want something more?
    I think the problem lies with your mates. You need to stand up to them and do what pleases you in life not them sometimes.
    The motivation of getting good grades hence a good job hence a good salary usually works for me ;).
    How can you consider people who'd like to see you as a single teenage mom, being benefit dependant as your friends?
    Urgh. I'd do it just to get away from them.
    Find better mates tbh.

If your slacker mates outside college can't be arsed, then you need to find a group of people in college who can be arsed and stick with them.