Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Those with degrees (or at uni)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just some questions -

What is your degree in?
What uni?
What A levels & grades (or other qualifications) did you have when you applied?

Ta.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm not at uni anymore, but I did go, so I will answer.

I was doing a degree in combined honours in social sciences, this meant I could choose modules from three subjects. Mine were sociology, hisotry and philosophy.

I was at Durham University.

I have grade B a-levels in economics, history and english literature. (In all seriousness if I had bothererd to revise I would have got higher grades :mad: @self) and grade A general studies. I also have GCSEs (3A*, 6As, 1B)
  • Options
  • Options
    Have a 2:1 in International Business and Modern Languages from the University of Strathclyde - was a very good course, although its five years long which would work out well expensive these days. I started just before Student Grants were phased out, phew!!:D

I needed ABB in A levels to get into the course, but managed an A in History and German and a B in French. Had 4 A*, 5 A's and 2 B's at GCSE level as well.

Although I hear the A level system is totally changed these days, do you still recieve 3 grades at the end, or do you get 6??:confused:
  • Options
    Re: Those with degrees (or at uni)

I graduated a year ago, but still....

What is your degree in? BA (Hons) Visual Communications (Graphic Design)

What uni? Surrey Institute of Art & Design

What A levels & grades (or other qualifications) did you have when you applied?
    11 GCSEs and a BTEC National Diploma in Graphic Design
  • Options
    Im doing a combined degree of Public Relations and Social Policy at Lincoln University. I will be in my second year in September.

I had 2 A Levels English Combined (D) Sociology (E) and an AS Level in Business Studies (E).

I have 11 GCSES (1A, 2B's, 7C's, 1F)
  • Options
    My degree is in Library and Information Studies and I did it at Manchester Polytechnic.

I had 2 A levels in History and English - a B and C
    and 7 Olevels, one GCSE.

I graduated in 1991 and only went to work in a library in 2000 after years working in Bookselling. I am the only qualified librarian where I work and its not reflected in my pay or status, in fact its not really needed to do my job.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    My degree is in Library and Information Studies

Oooh, I think that sounds really interesting, I would love to do something like that! :)
  • Options
    I've got one more year left of a 4-year Marketing Management Degree at Northumbria University.

My A-Levels were in French, Maths & Physics...(I originally wanted to be an optometrist in franch, ok!) Got grades B, D, D respectively....although I was 8 months pregnant at the time of sitting them, so I'm sure I could have done better.
  • Options
    Bsc (Hons) Multimedia and Internet Technology

University of Salford

Did a BTEC National Diploma in Computing getting mostly Merits. GCSE's consist of C's with a couple of B's and D's.
  • Options
    I did LLB (Hons) Exempting at University of Northumbria at Newcastle. I got a 2:1.

As entry qualifications I had five A-Levels:
    Law A
    History A
    English Language A
    Economics A
    General Studies B

I also had 12 GCSEs (6A*s, 6As) and various other minor qualifications, like two foundation NVQs. (And some swimming certificates ;) )
  • Options
    Originally posted by Molly
    I did LLB (Hons) Exempting at University of Northumbria at Newcastle.

I presume you wanted Northumbria because its LLB included the LPC or the BVC (as relevant) and because you probably lived quite close? Excluding its good - and growing - reputation, was it mainly a cost-saving decision? If so, it seems wise to me! :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Northumbria Uni is fab!

edited to say i work and study there so may be a bit biased :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth

i got 3 Cs at A level (but we won't talk about that, i'm still bitter that labour robbed me)

Ooh, were you downgraded by a bastardy marker then? :( That whole business with the A-Level scandal fried my brain, I really don't understand how the examining boards could justify that. I'm so glad I did my A-levels in 2000, I was disappointed enough with my History result as it was (in year 13 I was having huge problems with timing and exam technique - and as I got more stressed about it it got worse...), so god knows what they would have made of me last year....

Anyway, I did German (A), History (B) and French (B) at A-level and got 1 A*, 3 As, 5 Bs and a C at GCSE.

I'm now doing History with German at Bristol, just coming to the end of my year abroad studying History at Hannover. I think I'm heading for a high 2.1 if I work my arse off next year :nervous:
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    i can't prove a thing, as everything was conveniently burnt :mad:

but i do find it rather strange that i got A's in 3 out of 4 history modules and then a U in the last one. ditto psychology.

*mutters under breath*

Same here this year it doesnt seem to be getting much better however we got our scripts back in January and found they didnt have a clue what they were doing and on a subject which requires your opinions it was marked incorrectly, we complained and they said they could not do anything yet the years exam they will make sure it is sorted (but it wouldnt benifit us because our retakes were already printed!)

Biology was a sham too, not to mention the AS english this year as well!:(
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    im studying BEd (hons) Primary Education at Edinburgh Uni. for this course i *think* i needed to get BBC in highers including higher english. im not 100% sure as i didnt start my uni career in this course. i started off doing MA (hons) Maths for which i needed ABBC including an A in maths :)
  • Options
    BA in creative writing at leeds uni.

a levels : A, A, B
    as levels: C, D

gcses : 3 As*, 5 As, 2 Bs.
  • Options
    yeah our year was the guinea pig for new a levels, anways am currently doing a BEng Hons Computer Networking, just finished the first year....A levels i got BB in double business and B in IT.....and gcse's i got 2a*'s, 5a's, and 3b's.......and the whole education system is a sham at the moment anyways, i still havent received half my a level certificates, and dont get me started on student loans....:p
  • Options
    BA in International History @ LSE, just finished my first year.

Needed ABB but got AAA In english Literature, history and theology. Also had 1A*, 5As, 4Bs and 1 D @ GCSE
  • Options
    Just finished an engineering science degree at Oxford uni (St Catherines College).

Got 5 A's at A-level in General Studies, History, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Got 6 A*s, 2As and 2Bs at GCSE level.
  • Options
    Just finished 1st year Sports Science at Bangor, it's great!!

Got 3 B's (PE, Maths, Psychology) and an A (Gen Studies) at A Level, oh, and a German AS. 2 A*'s, 7 A's, 2 B's at GCSE.
  • Options
    I have a 2:1 BSc Hons in Computing Networks and Communications.

I did it at Sheffield Hallam University.

I have to say that, if I did everything over again, I would probably not do this degree. I would be more inclined to have gone on some kind of teaching course instead, and done a more general degree subject.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joey Potter
    Just finished 1st year Sports Science at Bangor, it's great!!

I'm going to Bangor in Sept, although I'll be a mature student.
  • Options
    Originally posted by D'OHnut
    I'm going to Bangor in Sept, although I'll be a mature student.

What difference does that make? Yoù'll probably find that your mature studentness has no real baring on your time at Bangor - you'll only be 2 or 3 years older than the majority of freshers anyway, so it shouldn't be any kind of barrier. If you want to see *real* mature students, you should try sitting in at a lecture in Hannover, where at least half the audience seem to be in their mid 50s! It really is a bizarre experience...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Meryn
    What difference does that make? Yoù'll probably find that your mature studentness has no real baring on your time at Bangor - you'll only be 2 or 3 years older than the majority of freshers anyway, so it shouldn't be any kind of barrier. If you want to see *real* mature students, you should try sitting in at a lecture in Hannover, where at least half the audience seem to be in their mid 50s! It really is a bizarre experience...

:lol: I will be a "real" mature student and it's good.
  • Options
    I'm doing French Studies at Lancaster Uni.

Got 3 A-levels (A in French, B in Geography, C in Business Studies) and an AS-level (A in Media Studies).

GCSEs - 2 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs - bastardy Double Award Science stopping me getting straight As!!