Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

School for Gay people ???

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just a thought - Would you have to be gay to work there? Or more so, would it be frowned upon if a teacher there wasn't gay?

The state-funded seperate schools in these parts like to employ 'their own', and rarely employ anyone 'different', even when it comes to jobs like dinner lady and janitor.

Why should it be different?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt
    At the end of the day you go to school for an education, not too hook up in the toilets.

:yes:

I wonder what the knock-on effects would be. Would these people work in gay-only firms with only gay employees?

What needs to be further addressed is the sexual discrimination, perhaps at school.
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo
    so i'm stupid because i typed in 'fuck off'

good grounds.

Now thats not what i meant and you know it young man!! Swearing Shmearing...I meant your other pathetic 'arguments'.

Sorry if I confused you!
  • Options
    Originally posted by D'OHnut
    :yes:

I wonder what the knock-on effects would be. Would these people work in gay-only firms with only gay employees?

Like Vaseline? Or at the Babycham brewery?

You might get hetrosexual people going to the new school to be trendy or to be different. Like the 'token straight' person.
  • Options
    Originally posted by EssEmm
    You might get hetrosexual people going to the new school to be trendy or to be different. Like the 'token straight' person.

It seems to me that we're going backwards, not forwards. Work on educating people! It's like seperating black people from white people or the rich from the poor. It should not happen. Integration and education are the key to success.
  • Options
    Just think how the students who attend this school would be treated by the small minded kids and even adults of the surrounding area. They'd be waiting for them at the gates baying for their blood, no doubt about it. It's just a bad idea on so many levels.
  • Options
    I think it's better to challenge homophobia than surrender and create an all gay school.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    I think it's better to challenge homophobia than surrender and create an all gay school.
    Did I miss something?

When did you come up with something sensible to say? :eek2: :eek2:
  • Options
    Don't we have schools separated according to religion and gender already?

We also have fee-paying and state schools?

Is this just like that?

It seems odd that we can allow seperation of this form in schools yet the law & equal opportunities would be down on you like a tonne of bricks if an employer only employed women, or Sikhs ...

if school is supposed to teach us subjects and equip us for life surely this form of separation is bizarre when it isn't allowed in other aspects of society?

Separation leads to people not learning about differences and celebrating them ... it perpetuates lack of understanding & intolerance

But thats just my opinion ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fairytale_Girly
    Don't we have schools separated according to religion and gender already?

We also have fee-paying and state schools?

Is this just like that?

It seems odd that we can allow seperation of this form in schools yet the law & equal opportunities would be down on you like a tonne of bricks if an employer only employed women, or Sikhs ...

if school is supposed to teach us subjects and equip us for life surely this form of separation is bizarre when it isn't allowed in other aspects of society?

Separation leads to people not learning about differences and celebrating them ... it perpetuates lack of understanding & intolerance

But thats just my opinion ;)

*applauds* :thumb:

Finally, some sense in this thread :yes:

(Your post is quality because it totally coincides with my opinion :))
  • Options
    Umm.. they have schools for different religions because for parents who want religion to be in their child's lives these are the places they are taught in such matters. R.E anyone? The same goes for other religions.

Just try to have a think before you say something, yeah? You might look back and wonder how you could write such pap.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt
    Umm.. they have schools for different religions because for parents who want religion to be in their child's lives these are the places they are taught in such matters. R.E anyone? The same goes for other religions.

Just try to have a think before you say something, yeah? You might look back and wonder how you could write such pap.

Seperate schools are fine, but they shouldn't be state funded.

If you want a seperate education then you should have to pay for it.
  • Options
    I think it's a good idea. It's difficult to watch out 24/7 for bullies...there's too many places off campus that bullies could get them.

Also NYC has separate schools for kids going into the performning arts, math geniuses, etc. so it's not as odd as it sounds.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I think it's a good idea. It's difficult to watch out 24/7 for bullies...there's too many places off campus that bullies could get them.

Also NYC has separate schools for kids going into the performning arts, math geniuses, etc. so it's not as odd as it sounds.

Totally different!

Schools like that are for pupils to excel in what they're good at. A school for gays is hardly going to help pupils 'excel in being gay'.
  • Options
    Kurt, I do think about what I want to say before I make a posting, its one's of those things that I find useful in life, along with not insulting people's points of view.

There are some who argue that religion and it's teaching should be taken out of the education system entirely believing it is the guardian's and organised religion's "job" to educate young people in those matters ... I believe this is the case in the French system, although I'm not 100% sure on that

I don't share that belief as I think different religions and traditions should be taught alongside the need for respecting those who are of differing faiths ... then again I also endorse the teaching of ancient philosophy and the works of Plato, Aristotle etc ... and perhaps am also in favour of the teaching about more 'new age' religions

But many oppose this believing that school-age children cannot handle this big issues and thoughts ... my answer is how do they (adults, government even parents) know this unless they open up the possibility.

How can you learn about those perhaps different to yourself, and accept them as maybe different but equal if they are shut away in different schools?

Is this not a ploy for 'out of sight out of mind' as were Jewish Ghettos under Nazi rule?

Embrace & celebrate differences ... don't hide them away

Stand proud to be who you are ... sooner or later people will recognise your inner strength and be completely amazed & inspired by it

Stay true!
  • Options
    Do they teach the YMCA in P.E? :p nah I'm kidding.

Well, I dunno what I'll say about this one. I'm against private education and seperating different socio-economic groupings, but gay and straight kids?
  • Options

There are some who argue that religion and it's teaching should be taken out of the education system entirely believing it is the guardian's and organised religion's "job" to educate young people in those matters ... I believe this is the case in the French system, although I'm not 100% sure on that

In my experience of france (lived/worked and studied there for a year) the church (RC) plays a bigger role that it does in the UK. I think this is the same for Spain & Italy, that family are still catholic even if they dont practice, and still encourage their kids to go through communion even if they only go to church once a year them self. Whether this is right or wrong is irrlevant in this discussion, I'm just coloborating what you say.

within this discussion I haven't read the whole thread but surly part of school is about learning social skills, integration and learning about diversity. In my opinion a school for gays would hardly help any of this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    In my experience of france (lived/worked and studied there for a year) the church (RC) plays a bigger role that it does in the UK. I think this is the same for Spain & Italy, that family are still catholic even if they dont practice, and still encourage their kids to go through communion even if they only go to church once a year them self. Whether this is right or wrong is irrlevant in this discussion, I'm just coloborating what you say.

Thanks for that Hobbs ... as I said I wasn't sure on that one :)

Although as I understand (from vague recollections of GCSE French here :P) that in schools they have a form of education civique which is like citizenship.

Do members of the Gay and Bi communities really face so much difficulties within the education system? There are those that are openly gay, lesbian & bisexual at my 6th Form and it doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone. I don't categorise my friends according to their sexuality, they are who they are.

But perhaps I'm just lucky in my school? Or perhaps there's more prejudice lower down the school (we start at yr9). I'm not saying that people don't face bullying as a result of their sexuality but it seems that human nature enjoys picking on others ...

I was overweight when I was younger - I was picked on coz of that. Others are bullied for having ginger hair, wearing glasses, different clothing, wealth, manner of speaking, homelife, religion ... people can be picked on for anything and everything it seems, sexuality is perhaps another one in that long list
  • Options
    Thanks for that Hobbs ... as I said I wasn't sure on that one :)

*sidetracks*

I have a lasting memory of the family I lived with in france for a few months. on palm sunday they went to church (the only time in 5 months) and got given a bit of palm leaf to take and home and tie to the crucifix that hung on the kitchen wall. well this proved quite difficult and the language used to cuss the leaf and bit of wood made me wonder if she really cared about what she was doing...
  • Options
    What school do you go to if you're bisexual?