Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

is what people wear important when it comes to being attracted to them or not?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
would you completely not care if someone you could potentially be attracted to was wearing clothes that you thought looked realy awful or could you never think that because you dont think clothes are important at all?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im not a shallow person and im not all about looks but someone needs to look nice to you for you to first notice them, so i think to start with its important but i wouldnt break up with a boyfriend just because he dressed in a way i didnt like :)
    i think if i like the person then i like the clothes, whatever they wear. things have looked great on my girlfriend that i hate normally :)
    I like a well-dressed man.

Equally, I like a nice man with a good sense of fun who is kind to me, who looks like a tramp.

So basically, it's a factor but it's not everything and it's not essential.
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    Equally, I like a nice man with a good sense of fun who is kind to me, who looks like a tramp.

I'll give you £50 if I ever see that.

;)
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    I'll give you £50 if I ever see that.

;)
    Whatever, I was making a point :p

Maybe not dressed like a tramp. But if he was a nice enough guy, I probably wouldn't notice the clothes :D:p
    doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

me and mr. junkie have many a 'you can't go out dressed like that' moment. but we're always joking.

we're after each other for who we are, not what we wear.
    It doesnt matter in the sense of wearing, say, one shirt over another shirt, but generally I think it does.

How you dress says a lot about your personality, and I wouldnt fancy someone who dressed like a townie because I find that generally those sorts of people are not people I like to associate with. Some people would associate with them, and wouldnt find a goth attractive.

So yes, style of dress is important. Though not the be-all and end-all. What individual clothes you are wearing is neither here nor there.
    I am in complete agreement with Kermit.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    How you dress says a lot about your personality, and I wouldnt fancy someone who dressed like a townie because I find that generally those sorts of people are not people I like to associate with. Some people would associate with them, and wouldnt find a goth attractive.

a couple of years ago i would have agreed with you, but my mind has been changed by a couple of people i wouldn't previously have been seen dead with. not in a romantic way, but i think the same thing applies.

my brother's girlfriend, and this guy i used to work with are both of the rough-townie-bordering-on-scally persuasion, and i used to be all snobby about people like that. but they are great, and we really get/got on well. in the end, our personalities meshed, and it didn't matter that i was wearing baggy jeans and had pink hair, and they were in sportswear and gold jewellery, we got on.

and if it can happen with them, i don't see why it can't happen romantically.
    me and my bf have competley different tastes in everything from music to clothes. he dresses the opposite to me, im a trendy and wear firetrap, miss sxty, bench, diesel etc whereas hes more into the moshery type of baggies and things like that, but it doesnt bother me as i like the person he is. another good thing s hes the opposite to my ex, as he was like me with the firetrap, fcuk things and was very up on his apperance and made to much of an effort.

clothes do make u intiallty attracted to the person, but its personality rthat matters most

xxx
    I think that the clothes someone wears is important...'cause if they looked like they hadn't made an effort when you went out or something, then well, I'd be a bit like hmmm :eek2:

Aslong as a lad doesn't look *really* scruffy, I can't say it bothers me much. However, the person I've liked for ages now is into wearing sporty stuff :)

I think what women wear is in a sense more important than what men wear...women can wear clothes which flatter their figures etc, thus drawing attention from the opposite sex or whatever :flirt: :blush: :yes:
    i think clothes ARE important....obviously i wouldnt not like someone just because i didnt like what they wear, but i do think alot of the time it's important for people to have some kind of individual style...not just wear anything-actually have clothes that they particularly picked out because they really liked them.

it is in a sense a reflection of people's personality-even if we arent aware of it we are sending out messages about ourselves through our appearance-we're creating an image of how we want to be perceived by other people.

well that's in my opinion anyway, anyone beg to differ?
    I think what he is wearing is one of the first things i notice but i wouldnt say i look for designer labels or smart clothes, just someone who looks nice. But if i met someone who looked slightly scruffy or had a unique fashion sense (tactful!!) but was a great guy then i would still be interested!
    I dress in what i feel good in. A lot of people comment on my fashion sense. Usually its "boyband" or "gay" and the one that annoys me the most is "you think you're beckham" I dont THINK im beckham, i follow his style because hes the only style icon men have. (apart from the sarong!:confused: ) I supposed im mixed, i usually dress pop/hip hop. Sweatbands, baggy tousers, suit jackets n jeans.

IF a girl dressed "trendy" i find that a massive turn on! I do generally go 4 a trendy looking girl.:naughty::D
    I think it only matters if you let it matter...

I kind of agree with Kermit, but at the same time I do think that personality is the most important factor and clothes aren't always completely representative of a person's personality. My ex dressed like a tramp, I laughed at some of the things he wore, but I never really cared because it was him I liked, not his clothes.

I won't touch men in shirts, because I associate them with the 'beer boy' mentality and I can't stand people like that.
    Originally posted by MWF
    I am in complete agreement with Kermit.

Me too. I tend to be more attracted to indie/alt-type girls, partly because I think it looks good, partly because it sets them apart from the generic High Street look (no offence girls! :s) and partly because it means they probably have decent taste in music which, shallow as that sounds, is important to me.
    Clothes are important, but they're not everything. If you're out on the pull, then clothes are much more important for a bloke than they are for a girl.
    However, some girls wear totally innapropriate, or trashy, clothing, and that just doesn't work at all.

Clothes are part of the first impression that we give, and that we see, so you shouldn't underestimate them.

I make sure I'm smart, casual. I don't go for labels, mainly because I just can't afford them, and because I don't like looking like a ad hording for clothes companies. As long as they're smart and stylish.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    To a certain extent clothes are important because they can say a lot about what you are in to.

However..I once went out with a bloke who basically dressed like a nazi...shaved head, rolled up tight jeans, big boots...but he was really nice and not a nazi. Yhough we always called him 'dave the nazi'!!
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    a couple of years ago i would have agreed with you, but my mind has been changed by a couple of people i wouldn't previously have been seen dead with. not in a romantic way, but i think the same thing applies.

my brother's girlfriend, and this guy i used to work with are both of the rough-townie-bordering-on-scally persuasion, and i used to be all snobby about people like that. but they are great, and we really get/got on well. in the end, our personalities meshed, and it didn't matter that i was wearing baggy jeans and had pink hair, and they were in sportswear and gold jewellery, we got on.

and if it can happen with them, i don't see why it can't happen romantically.

Yeah, thats very true. I was kinda meaning on the first-impressions type of thing. I doubt youd have stopped and chatted to them on the bus if you didnt know them, but you got to know them for them and liked them.

Personality overrides everything, but impressions are advertisements, and people generally only go for things that are presented in a way they like:)
    yes. yes it does.

i would rather go for a girl wearing jeans and a top which actually keeps their breasts in than a bird wearing a very small mini skirt and a very low cut top. yes i know there are exceptions but usually these clothes come with certain charecteristics, innit.
    I dont mean to be shallow but I could never go out with a "townie" because stereotypically, they are slappers. Nor could I go out with a girl who wears a bra and a belt and calls it fashion. Its like guys who take their top off- they have no personality so looks are all they have to offer.

I think as long as they werent a townie, or a really heavy goth, or an "individual" ( im talking about you purple and green haired girl with the bunny ears and leather trousers down the local park perving on the skaters), I couldnt care less about what they wear.
    Clothes are important because they give an indication of what the person is like, but they're not the be all and end all. If I really liked a guy but I didn't like his clothes then I'd still be with him anyway.
    I aint bothered about clothes... I mean... theyre cloths :rolleyes:

But if someone I like makes an effort and dressiz up one day it gives abit of a kick to the like thing. know what i mean?
    If i'm just out in town then it doesn't tend to matter what someone's wearing but i do tend to be attracted to people who look like they've made an effort.

If i was going on a date with someone then yes clothes would matter in the sense that if they turned up looking a right scruffy bastard who looked like they'd put no effort into getting ready then i might be a bit taken aback and think, hmm not worth the effort of trying then. I don't mean by this they have to wear suit but i wouldn't be overtly impressed if someone turned up in their running trainers, a t-shirt and scruffy trousers.

Call me a snob or whatever but a clean and well turned out apperance does tend to help :)
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Yeah, thats very true. I was kinda meaning on the first-impressions type of thing. I doubt youd have stopped and chatted to them on the bus if you didnt know them, but you got to know them for them and liked them.

Personality overrides everything, but impressions are advertisements, and people generally only go for things that are presented in a way they like:)

yeah. i can see what you're saying. i think if a guy dresses a certain way i'd smile at him in the street, but when it comes to actually having a relationship, i'm not too fussed.

i met my bloke on the net, and i totally fell for him before i even had a clue what he looked like.

all my previous boyfriends have been mates before anything else, and i'll make friends with pretty much anyone, so long as we get on...
    Clothes people wear only really matter when it is on first impressions.
    I think Kermit mentioned something like this. I would never be immediately attracted to anyone that dressed gothy because I personally don't like the 'goth' look. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be attracted to them if I got to know them because in my eyes personality is a lot more important than looks.
    Yeah, I think so. I mean, I'd never go for someone who wore trendy clothes, or sportswear, coz I'd think that we'd have nothing in common. I'd say that what people wear is an extension of their personality. At least, thats how I like to dress.
    But then again, I do know people who dress completely different to their personality... argh!
    Oh God, seems like I just shot myself in the foot there...:rolleyes:

Ilora x
    To me it doesn't make that much of a difference, so long as they look good in what they wear. If they look awfull, or are wearing florecent-green, then I try my best to look away and not laugh
    Originally posted by Skateside
    To me it doesn't make that much of a difference, so long as they look good in what they wear. If they look awfull, or are wearing florecent-green, then I try my best to look away and not laugh
    See Skateside, that's where we differ... I'd just point and laugh :naughty:

Ilora x
    Hmmm for a while I used to agreee with Kermit alot, I still do a little now. I mean I was really drawn to my boyfriend when I first saw him because of the way he dressed was just so cool and really different and attractive and sometimes I'm drawn to peoples style of dressing ... i dunno if that's shallow or not. But I have a lot of friends who dress alot differently to me. I have a friend who's very into sporty stuff having the right labels etc but we get on so well I don't notice his clothes when I'm with him. I think you have to have things in common to attract each other though, and people who dress kinda the same tend to attract each other.

xx