Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

lesser known artists.......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
can anyone recommend some music for me to download, by artists that i wouldn't know anyway....i love hearing new stuff and t'would be great to hear some new stuff...!

any genre would be good, im open minded, but in particular does anyone know some good underground/less well known:

hip hop
breakbeat
hard house
drum and bass
trip hop
bhangra
rock
happy hardcore
gabber
ragga

????

thanks m'lurvely people!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: lesser known artists.......

hip hop -
    Grand Master Flash
    drum and bass - Jon B, (both of these are what me mate Pete likes)
    rock - Wow... where to start? Underground eh? here're a few I'm listening to recently, not all underground tho...

How about....

Faith no more - Old School rock
    HIM - Um... rock?
    Lamb - Very laid back chilled music. get Goreki if you can.
    London After Midnight - Deeeeaaaaad good gothy stuff.
    Switchblade Symphony - wierd stuff
    Razed in Black - cybergoth/industrial-ish
    VNV Nation - cybergoth/technoish
    Mortiis - Bizarre... I dunno, darkwave?
    Sisters of mercy - Wooooo! 80's dark shit
    Type O Negative - mmmm.... proper dark and morbid.
    :D
    ohh thanks...i knew some of them already but im downloading those i didnt know....still waiting for them though.
    any more suggestions?
    Lamb - Very laid back chilled music. get Goreki if you can.
    Someone else actually likes lamb! I'd recommend them.Songs i like are Lusty, Bonfire, Gereki, Little things, Cotton Wool. Well anything really. (and yay, i'm seeing them at Leeds festival! :D)

Also get some stuff by:
    ~Aphex Twin (although you've probably heard of them) Songs such as Window Licker, Come to Daddy, Fuck, Flim, etc.

~Kruder & Dorfmeister (Speechless is good)

~DJ Shadow (I love Midnight in a Perfect World by them.) You can get soem good tracks from Entroducing, tis a good album.

~Mr Scruff :D get Shanty Town (whale fish song) hehe. Mr Scruff is nice to chillout to. Download stuff from their album Trouser Jazz.
    cool thankyouuu very much....i actually already know the people you're recommending, but thanks anyway...me liiikes though, me thinks you have a good taste in music! i've yet to get some songs by lamb though...ive heard of them but never got any music for some reason.
    any more suggestions? maybe goign into the even lesser well known?!:yes:
    Hm, Well I thought nobody had heard of the ones I suggested, well nobody I know do..so I guess I don't actually know any unknown groups. (If any of that even makes sense)

How about Ak 1200 for some d&b? Songs such as Drowning (which I love) Carbonite, Cum with me, Dreamz.

Also forgot to mention Coldcut. I'd recommend getting some stuff by them. Get Revolution, its wicked; samples the voice of some well known people :D
    ohh thanks, i dont know much drum and bass so im definitely gonna download that....i know quite alot of trip hoppy ambient stuff, or whatever it is you call those kind of artists....but dance music i dont know many artists of...i've only just got into it so it's all a bit new to me!
    If you like hard house you could always download this:

http://www.twisted.co.nz/djdb/viewfile.php?file_id=235

Its a mix I did back in June, its got about 12 tracks on there and can be downloaded... its about 76.6mb

:)
    Polaroid - So Damn Beautiful (Amethyst Mix)
    Gypsy - I Trance You (Pappa & Gilbey Mix)
    Underworld - Rez
    Deep Cover - Breakthrough
    Felix Da Housecat - Kittenz And Thee Glitz
    Dariush - Ira
    Analog System - Strange Morning In December
    Marco V - Tolerance
    AWeX - The Underground
    AK1200 - Inner Light
    Square Pusher - Drum & Bass 2000
    DJ Trace - Miles High
    Bill Riley - The Chill
    Nishki - Return (Loma Remix)
    Perfect Combination - Definition Of A Track
    Elizabeth Troy - Let Me Be
    Omni Trio - Soul Of Darkness
    John B - Electrofreek (John B's Epic Mix)
    Teebee - Severed Dreams
    D-Kay & Rawfull - Be There 4 U
    Tech Itch - The Calling
    Music

I quite like
    The Mad Capsule Market
    they are a good japanese band but they failed to make much of a mark in europe still good though. one great song is Tribe.

Deja Voodoo from Back of the Y are good
    Drowning Pool have some good songs dont know how large they are in the uk
    DJ Shadow used to be Unkle and if you like his stuff look for 'Dan The Automator'. Kruder and Dorfmeister are excellent. Check out H2SO4 for a combination of dance, rock and hiphop.
    oh really? i like dj shadow *and* unkle...weird that they're the same.....so dj shadow did the rabbit in your headlights song with radiohead then...:yes:
    Zack De La Rocha feat. DJ Shadow - March Of Death

btw Creeper, the majority of that stuff is like, famous, Faith No More? underground? they were like one of the most important bands in the world 10 years ago.

GINGA, Drowning Pool actually got quite big here, they like, got a single in the top 40.
    Originally posted by rosi
    oh really? i like dj shadow *and* unkle...weird that they're the same.....so dj shadow did the rabbit in your headlights song with radiohead then...:yes:

Yep! More about DJ Shadow here
    One of my favourite bands at the minute are a Welsh indie/punk band called Mclusky. Pretty mental, with great witty and funny lyrics. Try World Cup Drumming, Friends Stoning Friends (first album - mypainandsadnessismoresadandpainfulthanyours) and The World Loves Us And Is Our Bitch (second album - Mclusky Do Dallas).

Other bands I'd recommend would be the Pixies (well known among indie fans but not generally - 1987 - 1991), British Sea Power (new band) and Interpol (also new.
    Darling Violetta

They did the theme for "Angel"

"Atmospheric, haunting music-yet they can also rock the roof off-this is a band that can't miss." Entertainment Today
    anyone who likes bands like A Perfect Circle, U2, Coldplay, Radiohead.

I URGE you to check out this song The Red West - Don't Fall In. trust me on this one, please try it, and post what u think of it if you do listen to it.
    They aren't exactly unheard of, but I would recommend Dialated Peoples for some hip hop. They are one of those acts that got a fan base, tried to go mainstream, and failed to an extent, losing some of the loyal fan base.

Also check out Blak Twang and Roots Manuva ( who was nominated for the Mercury last year so isnt really a lesser known artist), a couple of UK hip hop acts.

And to whoever said otherwise: Grandmaster Flash is hardly an obscure act