Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Half of them

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Nearly half of 15 year olds have tried drugs while 31% have tried cannabis in the last year...the 45% have tried drugs, sniffed glue or harder substance at some point in their life..what does this say about the state this country is in, most people i know can get access to numerous drugs within a couple of hours.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know, i think many young people see it as the 'thing to do' these days. There's not alot the government or the police can do about it, its always 'there' decision at the end of the day, and like you said substancies are easily available.
  • Options
    Drugs are a part of the weekend culture now, it has gotten too far to go back.
  • Options
    Well something should be done, whether it will be is another matter. Education is the key I think, a mix of prevention and harm reduction.

What concerns me is that the drug laws have driven a big wedge between a large section of the public and the criminal justice system. A teenager walking down the street with an 1/8th on him never forgets the fear he feels when he sees a policeman.
    The police should be people we respect, want around and who we feel are doing us good. I think its tragic that so many of us have to fear for our liberty.

That and sniffing glue is just plain fucking stupid.
  • Options
    Education is the best thing that children need, not not government filled propaganda..proper facts, they need a former heavy drug user to come into all the schools and give them clean cut facts.
  • Options
    I think thats whats most annoying about that 'Talk to Frank' rubbish, its so badly researched its shameful, people really should be fired for their part in that.

As for hard drug users coming into schools, well I'm not so sure, I think it would be a little too easy for teenagers to think "well he was stupid, I'm not going to end up like he did".
    Plus obivously if someone comes into the school and says "I did heroin for 5 years but now I'm clean and I've got a good job" it kind of sends out the wrong message.

Education is the key though, but there needs to be, and I loath this term, 'joined up thinking', in that the social condictions which cause problem drug use need to be changed, people need to be given help and support when they need it.

A key fact to remember when trying to cut crime is that someone with nothing to loose is always dangerous.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Plus obivously if someone comes into the school and says "I did heroin for 5 years but now I'm clean and I've got a good job" it kind of sends out the wrong message.

:yes:

for the one that beats it there are many who are unable to escape the grip that heroin has

:yes: to proper drugs education
  • Options
    Maybe a day trip to a sqwat would be more intructive, probally wouldnt be approved by the PTA though.
  • Options
    That would be a very good thing bongbudda but would never with this country.