Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Iraq to have 1st election within a year.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Cool eh? No? *ducks*

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=540&e=2&u=/ap/20030731/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

Anyone want to discuss this? I'd love to see these people enjoy democracy...especially after Saddam.

Comments

• Options
    You might find the winning candidiate is chosen by America but then again it's better than Saddam.
  • Options
    will they be 'alowed' by america to vote for a comunist state ...the taliban ...extreme islamic rule ...i think not. they will only be alowed what america alow. that is not democracy.
  • Options
    I feel like it's time for the people of that country to have the power. I'd like to see something set up where the power is divided like in America and many other countries. *That wasn't posted to talk America up its the government I know best.*
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    will they be 'alowed' by america to vote for a comunist state ...the taliban ...extreme islamic rule ...i think not. they will only be alowed what america alow. that is not democracy.

Also who are the most likely candidates for election? The (pro-West) exiles who haven't lived in Iraq for decades because while their compatriots were suffering day to day under Saddam they were off in Dearborn Michigan planning for the day he fell and for how they would sieze their opportunity for power. There is a huge amount of hostility by ordinary Iraqis against these exiles just coming back and running the show, as you can see by the Baghdad council. These people won't truly represent the Iraqis because they are so linked with the West.

Democracy or no democracy, the point of why the UK went to war was to remove an immediate threat to our nation - a claim now obviously false and no matter how much the Prime Minister protests that we got rid of a bad dictator he still took us to war under false pretences and unless evidence of signifcant operational WMDs appears soon any number of elections and mass graves doesn't change the fact the Prime Minister is a liar.
  • Options
    UK went to war was to remove an immediate threat to our nation

Bush is being held accountable for that too.