Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nigeria - Ethnic Violence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How come so many people forget about ti so easily? Well not easily, but other more prominent things displace it from your memory. Here's a timeline over the last 2 years:

(Taken from the BBC News Website at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/country_profiles/1067695.stm)

"2002 February - Some 100 people are killed in Lagos during bloody clashes between Hausas from the mainly-Islamic north and ethnic Yorubas from the predominantly-Christian southwest. Thousands flee their homes. The city's governor suggests retired army officials stoked the violence in an attempt to restore military rule.

2002 March - An appeals court reverses a death sentence handed down to a woman found guilty of adultery. An Islamic court in the north had ordered that the woman be stoned to death, but the sentence provoked an international outcry including a plea for clemency from the EU.

2002 October - International Court of Justice awards the disputed Bakassi peninsula to Cameroon, but Nigeria is adamant that it will defend its right to the valuable land mass.

2002 November - More than 200 people die in four days of rioting stoked by Muslim fury over controversy surrounding the planned Miss World beauty pageant in Kaduna in December. The event is relocated to Britain.

2003 12 April - Legislative elections, the first since the end of military rule in 1999. Polling is marked by delays and allegations of ballot-rigging. President Obasanjo's People's Democratic Party wins a parliamentary majority."

I watched "Tears of the Sun" last night and it made me think. By the way everyone should watch it cos it makes Lord of the Rings etc look like The Cable Guy...

Oh and how coul I forget about Zimbabwe

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We are all a bit guilty about not caring enough about such problems. Although the main culprit for this is the media, for deciding (for example) that a shoot-out in the US in which 5 people are killed is more important or relevant than civil wars and famine in Africa.

The only time these tragedies are looked at in more depth is when the good old West sends a few troops to monitor the situation- and then the media is still more concerned about ‘our boys’ seeing action than the thousands of locals dying.
    Nigera is another example of the global threat from Muslim extremism.
    This is civil war pnj, not global terrorism. Learn the difference and the root causes of situations before falling back to regurgitating bogus domestic news reports.
    African brings many of its problems on itself. Maybe the white supremacists are right.......
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Maybe the white supremacists are right.......
    Er... no they're not.
    Originally posted by the jock/pnj franchise
    Nigera is another example of the global threat from Muslim extremism.
    I have no doubt that if someone posted a thread about the danger of earthquakes the jock/pnj franchise would not take long to blame "Muslim extremists" for it.

Two things you should take note:

1. We couldn't care less about Muslim extremists/Al Qaida. In a list of the 500 things that worries us most in life, Muslim extremists/Al Qaida would be number 510, just under "what to have for lunch today" and "should I wear the blue tie or the brown one".

2. If you must talk about terrorist groups and imaginary dangers please do so in the appropriate threads; not in those that have nothing to do with the subject.
    African brings many of its problems on itself.

Why are there so many wars in Africa, is there one African state in harmony and making progress, I doubt it?
    Well the West for one cannot be blamed for all of Nigeria's problems.