Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What can I do for experience?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I'm starting to think I'm getting a bit bored of doing nothing, except my weekend job and studying during the week. I am free every night during the week and really think I need to get some experience by doing some volunterry work or something, but what can I do....? I need to do something that will pay dividends to an interview in later life, as I want to be an airline pilot (currently what I'm studying for at the mo...but got about 6 months till I finish yet)...

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    have you thought about joining your local ATC (air cadets)?
    Where are you doing your ATPL? OATS?

How many hours do you have and what type? Done much cross-country? Done much flying under IMC?

Is it a half sponsored scheme? If so, by which carrier?

Why not become an instructor for a while? It'd certainly build up your all-important hours, whilst making you an even more confident flyer and developing your people skills. It'd be a good example to illustrate your communication, teamwork and organisational skills. In addition, it'd enable you to pay off some of the debt you have accumulated.

Have you checked out www.pprune.com?
    Hi D'OHnut,

I found out about pprune a while back and since then, I've been quite a frequent user, but I'll remain anonymous :D .

I've currently got a PPL, IMC and MEP to my name with 180hrs. About 20 of which are P1 on the Seneca. I fly at Sherburn (singles) and Nottingham or Gamston (Pa34 Seneca).

I'm on module 2 with Bristol Groundschool and soon to take the exams in September. In fact I got CAA confirmation through today, the nerve's are coming back to me now since doing module 1 in March, though I have to say so myself I was chuffed with the outcome (averaged 91% :eek: ).

I've managed to get quite a lot of x-country in the past year. Last August I flew around Europe travelling as far south as Barcelona and about 3 weeks ago I came back from a 2 week flying trip around western USA visit California, Nevada, Arizone and Utah. Vegas Intl has got to be one of my favorite airfields h'ever!

I've thought about instructing, and I really want to avoid it if I can as I've been told a lot of airlines don't favour the experience as you become too indoctrinated in the ways of teaching and flying props...then when you step into a 757...you bring along bad habbits. I am keeping my options open though, but I would like to go straight into airlines (**Britannia** I hope!). I'd fly anything at the moment with wings and a CofA but realistically, I want something heavier than air and say 20 or more pax!

It's kind of half sponsored, by a carrier called "Fathair"....(the ol' man). I am getting a loan soon though worth about £10k to pay off the IR and MCC before I start applying to the real carriers :)
    Nice one! :D Pleased that you have 180 hours ( ;) ) and got an average of 91%!

BMI used to do a lot of half-sponsored training with the condition that you fly for them for a minimum of 3 or 5 years, I think. Still, not bad. You'd probably get the ER3/ER4. If you're lucky the A320/321 out of LHR... How about FR? I think you'd fly for 90 hrs/month (according to PPRuNe) and probably be based in Europe, say CRL or HHN. Not bad for building up your hours, eh? ;)

I like the sound of your European and American tours. I'm dead jealous! :D

I'm only 1.5 hours away from BRS. Been to and flown from BRS many times, including in the last two weeks.

Old man eh? All right for some! :p
    Haha yeh the old man is quite generous but I think he's got a nifty plan up his sleeve. I think he's looking at it in the long term! I mean, I'm the one who has to choose his nursing home so I guess he needs to treet me :D .

Deep down I think he wants to do it. He often tells me "My ambition is yours"........"NOW GET THEM BOOKS READ!".

That's how it kind of works lol.
    Originally posted by scoot69er
    Haha yeh the old man is quite generous but I think he's got a nifty plan up his sleeve. I think he's looking at it in the long term! I mean, I'm the one who has to choose his nursing home so I guess he needs to treet me :D .

Deep down I think he wants to do it. He often tells me "My ambition is yours"........"NOW GET THEM BOOKS READ!".

That's how it kind of works lol.

:lol: Sounds good to me! ;)

Any chance of some touch-and-gos at BRS? ;)
    Touch and goes at Bristol...hmm, £20 per touch :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by scoot69er
    Touch and goes at Bristol...hmm, £20 per touch :rolleyes:

:eek2: :p

Not free then?

:D

I'm off to bed. Night night.