Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alcohol for happiness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im 18 years old, I've been through a bad patch in life lately, I know I shouldnt do this but i've been drawn to alcohol for happiness. I've found myself drinking 5 or 6 pints every night for the past 2 months or so, & i cant seem to stop, if at night i havnt had a drink Im all down & depressed & i hate being like that so i have a drink & it cheers me up. I dont wanna carry on like this but i cant see any other way to keep me happy. Help! Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Yes I've plenty of ideas, but they all come from having an alcoholic in my personal life and are quite unpleasant.

Stop drinking now, for the good of your health. Having seen two people die from alcohol abuse (not physically seen them die, but I have watched them deteriorate and the effects on their family and friends) I can tell you that it isn't pleasant. Furthermore, it is usually only once the damage has been done that people realise how stupid they have been, I am glad to see you have realised in time. .This is the first time I have been quite open about the alcohol problems around me.

I would suggest you go and see your GP ASAP. Phone up tomorrow and make the first appointment you can. Make it for the morning time, so you are more inclined to go, so you don't just sit there worrying about it and not go. Ask a friend or relative to go with you, and stick to it. Help yourself now before it is too late
  • Options
    Its not that i get violent or anything from alcohol, it just relaxes me at night. but if i stop then im really down at night, life just gets to me, I've been suicidal a few times its got that bad. But i would never do a silly thing like that.
  • Options
    You say you would never do a silly thing like committ suicide, but you just don't know. If you feel the need to drink every night to settle you or whatever then that isn't healthy and you need to start thinking about getting some help. Do not be afraid to go and see your GP. If they are arsey about it, see another GP.

It doesn't matter whether you are violent or not, the alcoholic I know isn't violent, ever, he is just a twat who mentally tortures his family and who doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself. He didn't used to be that way, he was once a very kind and loving father. Now he has deteriorated into a man who slags off his own kids in front of his recently widowed mother, at his father's funeral. :eek2:

You need to get some help now, really. I am NOT saying you are an alcoholic, I am just saying that your reliance on it is unhealthy and the sooner you can sort it out the better. :)
  • Options
    I dont go mad & get absolutley drunk out of my mind, I just have enuf to make me merry. i know its not healthy. i dont get selfish or anything like you were just saying I just get happier. I admit I've got a problem but i dont see wot else could keep me happy at night, apart from company.
  • Options
    Originally posted by awol
    Its not that i get violent or anything from alcohol, it just relaxes me at night. but if i stop then im really down at night, life just gets to me, I've been suicidal a few times its got that bad. But i would never do a silly thing like that.
    .......yes but even if it isn't getting you violet your still becoming dependent on it for your happiness and you really shouldnt
    I'm glad youve admitted or relaised you have a problem - and now the next step is taking a step back
    You need to reduce your intake and start thiking of WHY your life is so terribel? what can you do to chnage this?
    Your friends should help you get a bit happier and maybe try some new things and get rid of the things which are upsetting you - is it your job? your school?
    what?
    You dont really sound like you have too much of a problem. It's really your pessimism that needs the most work on.
    And hopefully if that can be solved you can enjoy drink to moderation - and not every day!
  • Options
    I know what you're saying, I think I do realise my problem, I think Im just lonely. I have no company at night & im on my own, sad i know but its how I feel. But I dont see how I can overcome that, the only time im not alone is Friday nights when im out with my friends & we have a laugh but with a drink.
  • Options
    Doctors. GO.
    It certainly sounds like it could only get worse - especially if you feel this is the only way you can feel 'ok.' Your doctor can help you and also suggest some other methods of coping which you mention that you seem to be lacking. Everybody goes through bad patches, however the coping mechanisms we use often become addictive and we're stuck with them, long after the original problem has passed. 'Happy' drunk or not - for your own health and probably that of people around you get it sorted now. Don't wait until you feel that it is 'enough' of a problem to warrant help. That time very rarely comes.
  • Options
    I know what you're saying, I think I do realise my problem, I think Im just lonely. I have no company at night & im on my own, sad i know but its how I feel. But I dont see how I can overcome that, the only time im not alone is Friday nights when im out with my friends & we have a laugh but with a drink.
    *nods* do you live by yourself?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pepsi_104
    *nods* do you live by yourself?

No i live with my dad, but he's out most night so im left on me own.
  • Options
    Stop drinking, try and stop it for all costs, i've seen alcohol do bad things to people, it is fine to drink it in moderation...say friday and saturday night and get pissed yes, but then that's it till next week or sometimes not even next week, occupy yourself, go out..don't sit in the house...maybe, just maybe if alcohol is that much of an addiction to you(it looks like it is)dont drink, roll up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    maybe, just maybe if alcohol is that much of an addiction to you(it looks like it is)dont drink, roll up.

Replacing on addiction with another?
    Not a good idea.
  • Options
    Just what i was thinking actually lol
  • Options
    Originally posted by Smash
    Replacing on addiction with another?
    Not a good idea.

how would it be?just do cannabis in moderation...cannabis addiction cannot be tared with the same brush as alcohol addiction.
  • Options
    Just what i was thinking actually lol

have you drank tonight yet?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    how would it be?just do cannabis in moderation...cannabis addiction cannot be tared with the same brush as alcohol addiction.

I have no problem with cannabis.
    However, if you're using anything (whatever it may be) because you cannot cope normally is not a good idea. Learn to deal with and cope with life without before you start trying to escape from it. Swapping one substance for another is not a good idea in my opinion.
  • Options
    Well Shogun, if awol can not handle alcohol in moderation,what makes you think he can handle dope in moderation ( though correct me if I am wrong because Im not very drug savvy).

But yeah, awol, try discussing your problem ( or whatever you want to call it ) with your dad. Ask his opinion. Perhaps see a GP together? But I think you should see one anyway. or call 08454647 . That's NHS Direct I think, and they could point you in the right direction.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Smash
    I have no problem with cannabis.
    However, if you're using anything (whatever it may be) because you cannot cope normally is not a good idea. Learn to deal with and cope with life without before you start trying to escape from it. Swapping one substance for another is not a good idea in my opinion.

Yea that is right smash...sorry :p he should just try and live with life and not use anything to escape.

Alcohol and Cannabis are two completly different substances and if awol isn't an experienced cannabis user than he could be brought to places outside of this world, maybe or maybe he might have the worst time of his life and regret trying it...anyway do what you think is right awol, going to your gp would be a start though.

I know people who used to drink alot but started taking cannabis and don't drink anymore and if they do it's very rarely...as with mroll he said cannabis saved him from heroin.
  • Options
    Well done on recognising you have a problem and asking for help. That is the hardest bit. Now I'll offer you some advice ...

Drinking to escape, while tempting will only do you more harm than good in the end. Can you honestly say you are really happy when drunk? Or is it an act/ a front/ a pretence even to yourself. The problems are still there no matter how blurry they become and you need to deal with them, sober.

It may be easier to reach for a drink rather than talk through your issues, but at some point you'll be crying into your pint no longer able to cope with the situation you are putting yourself in. Take action now. You can make things better.

Useful articles and helpline:

Getting help for a drink problem

Depression and drinking

booze and your mental health

Break free of addiction

Feeling suicidal

Drinkline
    Confidential telephone help, info and advice on all aspects of alcohol use and abuse. Calls are free.
    Telephone: 0800 9178282

Take care of you

Susie

:)

Oh and Shogun your advice here is not helpful, when people have real problems then masking them with drugs/alcohol only holds off the inevitable ... I'm not saying people shouldn't drink...whatever to relax and have fun, but in this instance there is a bigger picture to consider
  • Options
    Please talk to someone about this, whether it's your g.p, your dad, a family friend etc....I'm sure knowing someone else is on your side will help. Good luck, I'm rooting for ya xxx
  • Options
    Shogun
    I wouldnt consider smoking tobacco so i would never smoke cannabis.

Susie
    Thank-you for those links, phone number etc and the advice.

BritJames
    bottle of white lightening = £3 last 2 nights so X 15 (30 days) = £45 :lol:

Anyway thanks all. On a brighter note, I've just got a new job which involves 3 late nights a week so I wont B drinking through them. I was talking to a friend about it today and she's said pretty much the same as all you. But i dont wanna go to my GP, Id prefer to sort it myself. I just want something to help me cope with the boredom & lonelyness at night, a girlfriend would help, any offers?:lol: (attempt at humour!)
  • Options
    I have a similar problem. I started drinking regulary when I was 15 (I'm 18 now) and all that was a few pints at night to escape boredom but soon 5 or 6 drinks will not be enough and you'll have to drink more and more to feel something. Another problem you will find is that you can't enjoy 1 or 2 drinks because it always ends up being 15 pints, bottles of wine and then whiskey, vodka etc you know what I mean. If you want to do it by yourself this is what I do and it works well for me.

Think about the 2 hours when you are most likely to have that first drink eg between 9 and 11, then do something between that, anything will do, just to keep you occupied. Reading a book works best for me as long as its something I'm intrested in.

The first drink is the killer, I can't stress that enough. Just look at George Best the other week, he thought he would have 'just 1 drink' and it ended up in a week long session and getting arrested!

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll try that one out.
    One point though, my drinking at night stops at 6 pints at the most, anymore than that & I cant take it lol. I still gotta do something about it. One good point, Sunday was my 1st 'sober' night for 2 months :)
  • Options
    you should stick around here at nights and have a laugh with us lovely people.
  • Options
    Im a chat room addict so thats where I spend most nights lol