Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pink Hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As far back as I can remember I have always wanted pink hair! Either pink streaks, extensions, or just the tips (well the bottom) of it dyed pink.

The thing is whenever I ask my hairdresser (I go to the same one everytime shes kinda like my friend) she always says don't do it, because dying my hair pink will ruin it because they have to bleach it white or something (?!) and when I ask her about extensions she always says don't do that either cos the glue ruins your hair and you have to look after them in a special way or something...

I'm sick of her telling me that stuff though I see loads of people with pink bits and their hair isnt ruined! Is she just talking rubbish or is it true what shes saying? My natural hair colour is light brown but I've got blonde highlights in it all over.

I was thinking about getting my friend to do the tips of it pink for me but I wasn't sure what kind of dye to get, does anybody know any good makes cos I went into Superdrug and I really didn't have a clue what to buy.

Thank youuu for anybody who can help, I will have pink hair one day!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well yea she has a point that it'd need to be bleached before it was dyed pink and extensions do need looking after (and make sure are done professionally if you get them). If you want it done i dont think you should let her prevent you from doing so! Its your hair, she can offer her opinion, but you do what you wanna do!
    i had pink hair for ages, and i'll probably dye it pink again at some point. and my hair is in no way ruined.

she's right about having to bleach your hair first, at least if you want to dye it, although you don't have to bleach it so much that it's white, a mid-blonde will do nicely. bleaching probably isn't the best thing you can do to your hair, but if you treat it well and use plenty of good quality conditioner (aussie 3 minute miracle is my favourite) then it'll stay in good condition.

i bleach my hair every month or so and it hasn't fallen out yet. and if you were to only do the tips, you'd only have to bleach it once, so there's even less chance of ruining it.

you could dye over your hair without bleaching it, as it is quite light, but you wouldn't get a bright pink, more a pinky tone.

i have fake hair extensions in at the moment - a few black streaks, and again, no ruining of hair. mine aren't glued though - they're plaited down a little bit with my natural hair, and then heat sealed, so there's no damage to my natural hair at all and i can take them out whenever i want. and i wash and brush them like the rest of my hair.

she's not lying to you, but she is being a little bit paranoid. my hairdresser always tells me if i bleach my hair one more time it'll snap off, and i ignore her, and i bleach it, and it never snaps off.
    its up to you, not your hairdresser. If your hair is blonde then you dont need to bleach it, but otherwise, get some hair bleach from superdrug, and some cream peroxide to mix with it (if i remember rightly - its 8 years since i had pink hair). be warned, bleaching your hair really stings your scalp. The best pink dye is called `directions` and the colour is flamingo pink. it washes out after a few washes though, so depending on how often you wash, youll need to repeat it every couple of weeks, but its worth it.
    Maybe she just can't be bothered. If she is telling you it will ruin your hair then she isn't a very good hairdresser. If you have well conditioned hair already then bleaching it once will not ruin it. Of course, if your hair is aleady damaged then take her advice. Perhaps go to another hairdresser? Ask around to see who people recommend and get a second opinion.
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    The best pink dye is called `directions` and the colour is flamingo pink.

i prefer stargazer, tbh.

lasts longer and gives a nicer colour...
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    i prefer stargazer, tbh.

ooh ive never heard of that one.
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    i prefer stargazer, tbh.

Isn't stargazer only meant to be semi-permanent?

Anyway, if you're not used to dying your hair, the best bet would be to get a pro to do it for you :)
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Isn't stargazer only meant to be semi-permanent?

:yes:

you can't get permanent pink. stargazer and directions are the best pink colours, and they're both semi-permanent, but i find, on freshly bleached hair, stargazer lasts for ages. it was about 4 months before i had to recolour it. and it was still going strong, but my roots were horrendous.
    crazy colour (krazy kolour??) was longer lasting than directions too if i remember rightly, but i didnt get that one in pink, that was reddy orange - NOT ginger, it was nice actually. I also had that one in green.
    My hairdresser is also a really close friend of mine, and she and i were talking about this - i wanted blue streaks! She said that it was ok to bleach your hair occasionally, but continuously going over the same bits of hair would be really bad for it. You will need to bleach it for a really vibrant colour, but when you're doing the roots, only do the root - ie, don't rebleach your entire strand, cos it's not brilliant for your hair. If you're just doing the tips, go for it, it really isn't *that* bad for your hair, and once it's at the end, it's normally in pretty poor condition anyways cos it's quite old.
    Ooh thank you for everyone who's replied.

I think I've decided to go to the hairdressers (a different one!) and have the tips done, because like everyones said even if it is bleached there at least its only the ends and not all the way through my hair. And if I don't like it I can cut it off, lol!

I don't think my hairs in that bad condition...its quite fine and I straighten it, but I've never bleached it before and I always use loads of intensive conditioner stuff cos I straighten it.

Butt, just for curiosity, where can you get those dyes from? The Stargazer and Directions ones, is there a particular shop?
    Originally posted by FireyFirenze
    Butt, just for curiosity, where can you get those dyes from? The Stargazer and Directions ones, is there a particular shop?

usually if you have any alternative type shops, piercing places, tattoo studios, that kind of thing, they will sell them.

although i get my stargazer from a little hairdresser down a back alley in leeds :lol:

if you get stuck i have a spare bottle of stargazer magenta hanging around i'm sure i could send you. it starts out a lovely deep pink and fades a lighter pink, and not orangey like some of the others. it's the colour my hair is in my av (after a few washes).
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    heres directions
    http://www.jabba-wocky.com/category24_1.htm

the thing i liked about directions, is although its semi permanent, you get enough in a tub to last several applications. A tub used to last me months because you can reseal it again after youve used some.
    hey, whatever happened to "the customer is always right"???

Okay, while I can laud the hairdressers <erm> dedication to looking after ur hair - at the end of the day your right to go ahead with it coz it's ur hair! And, hair re-grows!

As my buddy James told me, "Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening and anything that does not fit into these categories can cause cancer in rats!"

heehee - I like that quote!!!!

I currently have scarlet hair, tho I'm a natural brunette & I had this dye put on over hair that I'd already had bleach blonde streaks put in ... people told me it would kill it (or words to that effect) by doing it - but hey I still have a full head of hair :D