Home› Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are ads for skin whitening creams racist?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Indians were discussing this and I thought it made a good possibility for debate.

Although people have the right to buy/use creams that make their skin whiter, after all, people dye their hair blonde, do the ads promote a notion that white is prettier? Ah ha. And if they do, should they be allowed? Tobacco ads are banned because the product hurts people.

Am I good or what?:yes:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Didn't know they had skin whitening creams.
    Odd thing is...the Indian women were claiming it was racist...but putting on sunscreen and staying under umbrellas so they wouldn't get too dark on the beach.
    It reminds me of what they used to say about Apartheid South Africa in the 1980s - the black women use whitening creams and gel their hair down so it looks smooth like a white woman's hair while the white women sunbathe to make themselves darker and mousse up their hair so it looks like a black womans.
    Political correctness gone mad. Why not just ban the word white,
    that will solve the problem!
    I find it offensive that the overated, unfunny "Comedian"/actor
    Chris Rock talks down about "White Boys' every other sentence.
    Strange how he never gets accused of racism?
    I wonder what the reaction would be if Frank Skinner started going on about damn Negroes when doing stand up shows?
    Ah Dant...calm down. This isn't about White people being White. It's about ensuring everyone feels good about themselves.
    Whew.:nervous:
    I just can't stand Chris Rock!
    If he thinks he is even close to Eddie Murphy he's wrong!
    I hear ya. There is a double standard sometimes.
    Of course it's racist.

By whose standards is white skin 'more attractive'?

Don't forget the first humans were probably black. :)
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand hairy.:eek:
    Re: Are ads for skin whitening creams racist?
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Indians were discussing this and I thought it made a good possibility for debate.

Although people have the right to buy/use creams that make their skin whiter, after all, people dye their hair blonde, do the ads promote a notion that white is prettier? Ah ha. And if they do, should they be allowed? Tobacco ads are banned because the product hurts people.

Am I good or what?:yes:
    fake tanning lotion is racist then?
    what drugs are you people on?
    Well, that IS another way to look at it.

What drugs have you got?:lol:
    Odd thing is...the Indian women were claiming it was racist...but putting on sunscreen and staying under umbrellas so they wouldn't get too dark on the beach.
    This is stooooopid, you cant change the colour of your skin, just your tone anyway! unless your micheal jackson, even so though, in India, the paler face you have the more likely you are to get married younger or picked first and you are seen as more attractive. They even have a cream called Tibet Snow which whightens your skin!
    Tibet Snow which whightens your skin!

Exactly. so what do you think of advertising that kind of thing? Is it no wost than advertising blonde hair dye. Or is it worst because it's encouraging racism?
    Exactly. so what do you think of advertising that kind of thing? Is it no wost than advertising blonde hair dye. Or is it worst because it's encouraging racism?
    I dont find it encourages racism...myself am pale and I bloody hate it!! so I cant really understand it! but its not racist, its vanity, however some people with take it as racist, some people wont, if its not inteded that way it shouldnt be taken that way.
    thanks Vic. :)
    thanks Vic. :)
    thats allright ;)
    Why people think golden brown (or orange) is the most attractive skin colour, I do not know.

White people cook themselves or douse themselves in fake tan just to become darker.

Black people bleach themselves to become lighter.

It's stupid. Why can't people just be happy the skin colour they are? The world would be boring if everyone was orange. Alas, the beauty market needs people to feel insecure and unhappy with the way they look though.

Hmm - I'm not sure whether skin whitening creams could be deemed as racist because they exist because there is market demand for them. I personally think black people have the most beautiful skin colour - their skin always looks so soft and smooth. I'm really pale, so I always wanted to be black.

The human race is meant to be diverse in colour; a variety of shades and tones.
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown

Why can't people just be happy the skin colour they are?

I hate how pale I am, if I wear black I look like a goth, nothing wrong with goths but I am not one. If I dont wear bronzer or blusher on my face I look ill....not very nice :( this is why I dont like my shade :)
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    I'm really pale, so I always wanted to be black.

Accepting yourself for who you are, huh? :rolleyes:

The human race is meant to be diverse in colour; a variety of shades and tones.

Well the only reason that is so is due to minor adaptations to local climates.
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Accepting yourself for who you are, huh? :rolleyes:

Well the only reason that is so is due to minor adaptations to local climates.

Yes, I do actually. I didn't mean I don't want to be the way I am and be black instead, I just always really liked black skin colour.

And yes differentiations in skin colour are due to different climates, your point is?
    No, you stated that you 'always wanted to be black'.
    Yes, but that's just a passing wish, isn't it? Like someone saying "I've always wanted to win the lottery."

I don't make any effort or do anything to try and change my skin colour, I'm fine being the colour I am. If I was uncomfortable and couldn't accept myself I would be trying to change myself, wouldn't I?
    I wouldn't call them racist just a little sad, bit like fake tan, that 'gorgeous' sunbed orange etc
    Re: Re: Are ads for skin whitening creams racist?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    fake tanning lotion is racist then?

Exactly my thoughts.

Nah its about choice, choosing the way you look :)
    I glad you guyz replied to this. The rest of the conversation among these Indian women were that the ads made it seem like you were prettier if your skin was light.
    I was trying to think about this debate but i cant concentrate cos i keep looking at vinyl vickys avatar. I dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing