Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

break up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how do you become friends again after a relationship?

situation: 2 lovers still in love with one another were friends before they got into relationship. now after cheating they have split up and now want to be friends whats the likelihood this can happen?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well i think alot of people would like the idea of staying friends with someone once the relationship is over, and sometimes you can turn out better friends then you were lovers,but then
    sometimes its not what happens.
    you say your still inlove with eachother which could help you stay friends as you will still feel for eachother alot, i think the best thing that you can do jacaranda is to just stay intouch with each
    other reguarly and i suppose just let him know that you want to stay as good as friends as you were before the relationship so he knows how you feel. well all i can say is good luck and i hope you can keep your friendship as it would be a shame to loose it :)
    i have to say i find it hard to believe you can go back to being good mates, it normally gets quite messy. You would really have to sit down together, sort all you shit out and then decide together if you can be friends.

be warned it can turn very nasty!

long time no see jack
    Being friends after one of you has cheated? :no: Very remote chance that would work. I mean, that means that trust has been broken. Trust between you and your boyfriend/girlfriend. Once that's gone, how can you be real good friends afterwards?
    If it was a relationship that just fizzled out, then there's a chance of remaining friends, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth all the hassle? I mean, what happens when you meet someone new? How would you introduce them - "Hi, this is my friend, who also happens to be my ex." How would you feel if your boyfriend/girlfriend was still seeing their ex as a "friend". Another thing - how often have you heard about ex'es sleeping with each other? It happens way too often.
    I always say that ex'es are ex'es for a reason, and they should remain in the past, and not be a part of your present, or future. It's just not fair on present, or future, boyfriends/girlfriends.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Cut all ties and move only. Its the only way. Also, who'd wanna be friends with someone who betrayed them??
    I think if u both split up mutually then sometimes you can both stay friends, but when someone in the relationship done something to betray the other one its very difficult.

I know for a fact that if my boyfriend cheated on me then i couldnt be friends with him after even thou we were mates before we were together. I think myself id just have to cut him dead.
    Why would you want to be friends with someone who had cheated on you? :confused:

Anyway, a few things to bear in mind:
    *No trust anymore, but at least the person came clean about it (or did they....)
    *How will you cope seeing this person in a new relationship?

I would take some time away from the relationship and the friendship and see what happens. Staying too close after a rbeak up probably causes all kinds of uncertainty and confusion and you may find it very difficult to be friends.
    It's very hard to do. If you both still love each other how can you expect to be just mates? What about when one of you starts seeing someone new? Not a good idea believe me :no: