Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Japan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anybody ever been to Japan? What was it like? How different is their culture?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• MykeMyke Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    I love Tokyo, it makes you feel like you are walking around in Blade Runner.

It's a huge, modern city full of more shops and neon signs to last you a lifetime, but it's also possible to slip away down the backstreets and find quiet little interesting spots. Narrow streets lined with people sitting on beer crates drinking Asahi outside little wooden shops and old women in kimonos sweeping outside their houses.

Stay in a Ryokan (Traditional Japanese guesthouse) and treat yourself to a Japanese bath (Just what you need after walking around Tokyo all day).

I can't say much about the rest of Japan as I've only been to Tokyo, but one thing I must say is Japan is a very expensive place to visit (Spent more mony in 4 days than I did in 4 weeks in Thailand!) so if you plan on going, make sure you have the funds to make the most out of your visit.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Japan is very different from Europe regards technology, religion and culture yes. The people from what I gather are nice and friendly and I wouldn't mind visiting one day.
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    Japan is very different from Europe regards technology, religion and culture yes. The people from what I gather are nice and friendly and I wouldn't mind visiting one day.

No offence, actually shove it, take all the offence you want, but you really have just pointed out the obvious there.

Thanks Myke.
    I really wanna go to Japan, it's somewhere that has interested me for ages! Just their different customs etc fascinate me.
    if u wanne Japan, then first u must understand culture of it. it really is most wonderfull place, but again very expensive to stay!!

Maybe, if u can go to Osaka, also Nagasaki are both great and interesting place to visit (don't go Nagasaki if u are american, some still unwelcome there...). If u are visit the island, Okinawa is also very beautiful, but speaking in Okinawa dialect! It's different to Japanese (^^;

Place like Tokyo are very expensive one to visit, so maybe plan to stay there on the outside. The rail system is efficient (more so than British Rail), so is fine too.

If u do go, learn Japanese, becuase otherwise it can be very difficult for you.

Japan is really quite westernised,so don't be suprise if the culture seem similar. Anything British seem to be loved there!