Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why do cuts itch?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i cut my leg on a sharp pointy thing that was sticking out of my bag the other day and it's all healed into a scab now but the trouble is, it's really itchy. i keep forgetting that i've cut my leg and keep scratching it - owwwww :(

so why do they itch? anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    I have a feeling that it's your bodies way of telling you that the scab is ready to come off, i.e you will scratch it off.

Don't quote me on that though.
  • Options
    NOOOOOOOOOO. i dont know what causes the itch but DONT scratch a scab off, that will cause scarring, believe me! i know its hard not to pick but try and let it just come off itself, unless you want a scar. if you pick you can also infect the injury.
  • Options
    its the neurones or something :s giving the cells the 'command' or signals to induce cell growth - ie skin. These go on all the time and are pretty normal but itches are common with them.

Another one is when you are ill the hormones to increase white blkood cells make you feel sickish. So an actual infection doesn't make you feel sick at all hehe.

But don't pick the scab it will come of by itself when the skin has healed. If you pick it off when the skin has only partially healed it's likely to pull off some of the new skin with it. Not nice. Oh yea and flesh doesn't regrow so, if it goes past your skin into the flesh it'll scar.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Oh yea and flesh doesn't regrow so, if it goes past your skin into the flesh it'll scar.

eh?
  • Options
    i'm not deliberately trying to pick it. i just keep forgetting it's there and i keep scratching my itching leg only to be in pain 5 seconds later :(

annoying bodies!
  • Options
    i feel the need to super glue someones fingers...

:razz:
    ~*~