Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Piercing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Piercings, comes under fashion surely :D

Now this isnt really a question, more of a thought that I had. Recently I had a problem with one of my piercings, and my regular piercer was away, so i found one of these piercing advice sites and posted my question there, got a responce, and sure enough, it helped. you know the type, bmezine etc etc

I was just wondering if we could start a smaller piercing section within the fashion forum, for anyone who has problems with piercings, wants advice etc etc. I am quite clued up on most methods and types of piercing, and i think it would be a good idea to be able to post a question here, rather than have to go to another board.

What are your views people, do you think this could work??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i have had my body pierced 8 times, i currently have 4 piercings, both tragi (tragus is the little flap or cartilage in the side of your ear) my tongue and i have a prince albert. i have had my eyebrow pierced twice and had to take them out for a job, along with my lip, which i also had done twice.

Never regretted any of them, even tho i had a little problem with my prince albert (which had me worried) but all is fine now, and very enjoyable i must say :p

Current employer allows visible piercings, so i think my lip will be getting spiked again soon :D
    I agree with James, that most questions would probably come under the health forum but I suppose if people were asking about the actually jewellery etc then it would come under fashion.

Do you look all scary with your piercings? hehe I have my tongue and bellybutton done, so I look pretty normal ;)
    i don't think i used to, harriet is still collecting any old photo of mine with them in, she loves the look of the eyebrow one and the lip, and is desperate for me to do them again.
    I don't think it needs a section of its own - it could go in health or here really, depending. It is alarming how utterly clueless some people are about it, yet merrily go and have needles shoved through body parts and wonder why they end up with a great pussing wound.

Needles not guns!

Yeah. So I imagine they'll post in either one. Or if they're a 'reg' I'm sure they'll just put it wherever they like.
    Originally posted by Smash
    Or if they're a 'reg' I'm sure they'll just put it wherever they like.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, the quote of the day!
    I really want, a Monroe piercing. I think thats what they're called anyway! :-/ its like a stud to the right or left just above your top lip. I think they look really nice I'd have a teeny diamond-like stud in it. I might be describing it totally wrong here lol, someone must know what I mean. I think Mutya from Sugababes has got one.

Does anyone know how much it will hurt? I'm a bit scared of the pain! I've had my belly button pierced twice but will it hurt more than that? I'd appreciate advice from people who know about piercings hehe :)
    i know a few people that have got a monroe as you call it and they all said it was just like getting your lip done. I've had my lip done and i really didn't think it hurt very much!

i luv tragi peircings, i used to have both mine done, but one of them kept playing up so now i just have the one, i also have a fare few others, but i don't wear them all at the same time
    by playing up, do you mean keloid scars? my left tragus produced a massive keloid, wheatgerm oil, tea tree oil, tried it all, and nothing worked, piercer recommended i get rid of it, was about to and thought to myself (in a very drunken state) sod it, i konw what I'll do!! so i grabbed my swiss army knife, and took the ring out, cut off the keloid, put the ring back in and put a plaster on my ear. within a week it was fine, and hasnt played up since!!!

desperate times call for desperate measures
    lol, i've had friends do similar things, crazy buggers!
    By playing up i meant continuely getting infected. It was just so sensitive. I wasn't because i didn't look after it or anything, i'm very good about things like that. I still use mouth wash 2-3 times a day and i got my lip done aaaaaaages ago!:p
    normal scar tissue, is thick underneath the skin, and not that inflamed on the outside, a keloid is basically when you scar in reverse, so the lumpy side of the scar is on the outside. it can happen with any scar (see picture) but is quite common with tragal piercings

keloid-10mos-postop2b.jpg

editted to ask: why doesnt my image come up? its only coming out as a link... :eek2:
    james, you don't sound stupid, i doubt many people but know what it is unless they've gotten it
    nice pretty info from a girl with keloid scar problems is available here
    incase you are worried, and if it is bothering you, go see the doc mate :)
    hey eul where you from
    feel free to tell me to f*ck off and mind my own :D
    Sunny Gibraltar, that bit of Britain in the Med :p
    Just out of interest, how did you get your tragus done? I had mine done with a gun, and it didn't keloid at all, but i know a lot of people who had cartelige piercings and it did for them. I dunno though, i'm quite a pierced person (11 at peak!) and i heal quite fast anyways, don't generally *touches wood* have any problems with them healing wise - though they do tend to get a bit sore if i get run down.
    the first time i got one done, twas with a gun, and then, i got them both redone with the needle. :D

11 nice may i ask where,

i have 7 in my ears, 1 trag -kinda ear but not, lip, nose - but it's kinda closing up :(
    and one down under
    i got mine done with a needle too. its better. really, the only piercing you should get done with a gun is your earlobes, though the needle would be better still. because with the gun, it only pushes the skin away leaving it there to get in the way and cause infection or other skin problems, while with the needle (a hollow needle of course) it pushes the skin out leaving it a totally free space.

and i have a question, i got my lip done 3 days ago and it hurts like a fucking bitch, is this normal? i am prone to infections in my new piercings.

and also, i wasn't paying attention, whats the average, or most likely gague used for nose and lip?
    Originally posted by my_name

and also, i wasn't paying attention, whats the average, or most likely gague used for nose and lip?

Most piercers use a 14 gauge jewellery.

What are you cleaning your lip with? Is the lymph clear? Does it hurt like 'throbbing' or some other kind of pain? Ring or stud?
    (Ice is good for tempoary relief)
    I have... my tragus, three in each earlobe, my lip (labret), tongue, left nipple and belly button done (once at the top, once at the bottom). I took the bottom one out fairly recently though, as it just *wouldn't* heal properly, and was getting on my nerves. Thinking about getting it redone, but it's gonna hurt like a bitch cos it'd be through scar tissue, and i want to wait till august cos i'd like to give blood and you need to wait for a year after having a tattoo or piercing. I also have two tattoos :)

And yeah, Ice helps lip pain, have you been using the mouthwash they probably gave you? Mine really didn't hurt after i had it done, so i can't really help you there :confused:

and i have a question, i got my lip done 3 days ago and it hurts like a fucking bitch, is this normal? i am prone to infections in my new piercings.

Mine hurt for a few days but that was cos i kept knocking it. I have a ring in my lip so every time i tried to drink i'd hit it with the glass etc. :rolleyes:
    Also about the gauge, for a lip piercing it is common practice to get either a 16 or 14. I got mine done 16, but there was just such better jewellery for 14 gauge, so i went back and got them to stretch it to 14.

hope that helps, ooh and use lots of mouthwash, as i said before i still use it 3 times a day and i've had it for years :D
    I've got 5 studs in my ears (3 in one, 2 in the other) and a bellybar. In a few weeks Im getting a labret stud:), does it hurt much does anyone know, and also, is it true that you cant kiss anyone for a year after getting it pierced?
    labret stud? where? ooh in your lip?

minimal pain unless you knock it lots or are prone to infections!

is it true that you cant kiss anyone for a year after getting it pierced?

WHAT.A.LOAD.OF.SHIT!
    I want a tragus piercing!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(

I have psoriasis, and no piercings heal on me without giving me jip. I can't imagine the pain and suffering I'll having with a cartilage piercing :(

It's soooo unfair!!! :mad:
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I want a tragus piercing!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(

I have psoriasis, and no piercings heal on me without giving me jip. I can't imagine the pain and suffering I'll having with a cartilage piercing :(

It's soooo unfair!!! :mad:

granted i dont know what psoriasis is, my tragus was like horrible infected, i couldn't even put a ring in it without it hurting like a fucker and stuff, but after a while of pain and trying to fix it, its perfect now, and the pain isn't really pain at all, just a little :)
    granted i dont know what psoriasis is, my tragus was like horrible infected, i couldn't even put a ring in it without it hurting like a fucker and stuff, but after a while of pain and trying to fix it, its perfect now, and the pain isn't really pain at all, just a little :)

Well, I shall educate you... Psoriasis is a skin condition, which basically, my skin produces too many layers of skin causing it to flake. (A bit like dry skin)
    Because of this condition, when it finds a wound (or piercing) it attacks and tries to heal the wound.. causing it to get infected and then heal up. It did the same with my upper ear cartilage piercing, forcing me to abandon it.. and have it surgically removed.... :crazyeyes: