Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

pedo.....help

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Mist
    So you're saying that the natural state is to not be careful because noone has told you there is a peado living down the road?

ud b a bit more careful if u knew a pedo lived near to u surely, its not as if ud let ure children play infront of a pedo's house is it?

mist general question: do u have children?
    this is sayin whether i shud take the law into my own hands and allow ppl to protect their families

its a simple YES :yes: name and shame the fucker
    let people protect their familes.
    Originally posted by solid_L
    a very long winded no

1st paragraph - so ppl shud not be allowed to protect their familes?

I may not agree with the law, but it is there and as a lawful person I respect it. The law allows you to protect yourself, it does not allow you to go out, form a lynch mob and hang someone, for example.

2nd paragraph - id think most ppl wud prefer to no if i a pedo lives near them, besides if they dont do ne thing about it then its their choice, i believe they shud have a choice. Its better knowing something you dont need than needing something you dont know!!!

You are completely missing - or choosing to ignore - my point. There could already be a peado around that you know nothing about. If you have kids you should be taking care of them anyway, you should not *need* to know because it should make no difference.

3rd paragraph - i expect them to do what they want, if thats not do anything thats fine, their choice, if they want to protect their children better, if they want to castrate the pedo id b delighted.

Well then our views on the law are fundamentally different and we are unlikely to agree.
    a) check the sex register
    b) if he isnt reformed, and you get him out of your area, youre making problems for everyone else.
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    Like I said its upto you what you do.

I moved just before christmas and last week on the same road I used to live on a 2yearold girl was raped by someone i knew. :| She has had to have stitches and stuff, she will never have kids because he has fucked all her insides up. My little nephews used to play round there and stuff. He done it while he was drunk or somethin. :| No one is safe anymore. Anywhere.

What i'm trying to say is that these parents should be protecting their children as much as they can anyway, they shouldnt be able to protect them anymore. If you get what i mean. :/

Omg that's really awful Lisa. And scary. And..eugh *shudders*

I never thought about it that way before though, about how parents should be protecting their children from paedos etc anyway, regardless of whether or not they know if they're at risk directly (ie from someone just down the road). But I think you're right.

And Becky - that's actually quite interesting. I was talking to a girl a year older than your daughter today, who was telling me that her mum lets her go out with her friends to the far end of the nearest village - about 4 miles away from her home - with just her friends - no parents or anything. I never really thought about the implications of that til I read that..

Tis a scary world, isn't it :eek2:
    Originally posted by solid_L
    ud b a bit more careful if u knew a pedo lived near to u surely, its not as if ud let ure children play infront of a pedo's house is it?

mist general question: do u have children?

No I do not have children, but even if I did, then I would be careful about where they were allowed to play.

You can be no more careful if you know that someone is a peado. There may be someone in the next house that is that you don't know about. Your state of awareness over your children should deal with this possibility and not be affected by other knowledge.
    mist, my dads a cop and ive bin brought up in a very law upholding lifestyle, but im not thinking of getting a mob together and hanging him, i just want ppl to have the choice of protecting their children with the information

you are rite, there already might b a pedo living next door now and we know nothing of it, but, given the choice id like to know about it and i believe every1 around me would too
    No I do not have children, but even if I did, then I would be careful about where they were allowed to play.

what would you do if you allowed a child of yours to play in your garden, you never let them stray off without you because obviously you do care about their welfare. Then you find out a peado was actually living next door to you and he had been photographing your child and maybe also using the camcorder on your child. This could happen in real life, your next door neighbour could be on the sex offenders list and you would know nothing. So in summer you let our child play in the paddling pool, in your garden because thats the safest place for the child (so you think)while a perv is getting off at watching your child.

So would you still say you should not be made aware of a sex offender living next door to you?
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    what would you do if you allowed a child of yours to play in your garden, you never let them stray off without you because obviously you do care about their welfare. Then you find out a peado was actually living next door to you and he had been photographing your child and maybe also using the camcorder on your child. This could happen in real life, your next door neighbour could be on the sex offenders list and you would know nothing. So in summer you let our child play in the paddling pool, in your garden because thats the safest place for the child (so you think)while a perv is getting off at watching your child.

So would you still say you should not be made aware of a sex offender living next door to you?

some1 is on my side, to a certain extent at least

*clap* *clap* well sed btw :D

No, I'm saying it would not be something that you could do anything about. Hence the knowledge is useless.

You can take every care to protect your kids, but you can't stop their being a weirdo next door. And if you know about one, you can't stop their being another one you don't know about. I don't believe in living my life around other people so I would not stop my kids from playing in our back yard either.
    I don't believe in living my life around other people so I would not stop my kids from playing in our back yard either.

Do you see what im saying though? I let Becks play in the garden and for all I know someone could be doing these things, so if a sex offender did get moved next door to me then i feel its someones responsibility to inform me. Its no good 3 months down the track after shes been abused in some way they telling me *sorry* we didnt think you were entitled to know a peado was next door.
    Do you see what im saying though? I let Becks play in the garden and for all I know someone could be doing these things, so if a sex offender did get moved next door to me then i feel its someones responsibility to inform me. Its no good 3 months down the track after shes been abused in some way they telling me *sorry* we didnt think you were entitled to know a peado was next door.

You're missing the point though. What would you do? You can't go round and kill the dude. It's a chocolate fireguard.
    I like this thread... very interesting. I've never really thought about this stuff before..

I think you're both right. Your own garden should be a safe place for your children to play. If a sex offender is next door, and could be taking photos, whatever, generally getting off on your child playing innocently in the garden, a parent has a right to know. But then, there is nothing you can do about it, like Mist said. Unless you're going to go for the whole vigilante thing.

But surely, a paedophile shouldn't, and (I assume) wouldn't be allowed to take up residence in an area with lots of children, and certainly not next door to a family?
    i dnt know how this will be interpreted but im going to say it anyway.
    my grandad is a convicted pedo. i love him to its, and although i hae what he has done to me and the rest of my family i know that he has stopped. which is the main thing.
    the system is very fucked up, he went to court cos of it all and he managed to get out of his sentence cos he said he had heart problems and he would end up dead if he went to jail. they lapped it up and let him off.
    i do think that people should be informed of pedos in the area but it really does depend on how long its been since the last offence. the fort of people banging on my grandads door trying to hurt him makes me sick. to me violence is just as bad.
    im no sure what im trying to say here. bt i think that it is relevant.
    You're missing the point though. What would you do? You can't go round and kill the dude. It's a chocolate fireguard.

No I wouldnt, but id make damned sure my Daughter was never in view of him with a camera.
    Also if ever I saw he do anything at all to her I would make sure he never did it again.

Laura how wrong you are, seriously sex offenders are everywhere. There could be one in my street and I would know nothing, well until it was too late.
    Originally posted by Zella
    the system is very fucked up, he went to court cos of it all and he managed to get out of his sentence cos he said he had heart problems and he would end up dead if he went to jail. they lapped it up and let him off.

Thank you !!
    He managed to get off with it, that stinks. He did the crime he should do the time !!!!!!!
    I bet they lapped it up "oh we cant send him to prison, what if anything happens to him" :rolleyes:

Sorry i know this is your Grandad but at the end of the day he was convicted of sex offences with children, he should not have been set free. He should have thought about the consequences before he committed the crime !!!!

I have no bad feeling towards family members of convicted peados, we cant help what a family member has done.

But you summed it up perfect there, the system is very fucked up.
    Laura how wrong you are, seriously sex offenders are everywhere. There could be one in my street and I would know nothing, well until it was too late.

Well then surely rather than arguing over whether or not the sex offenders register should be open to the public or whatever, it would be more important to make sure sex offenders just don't end up in an area with lots of children, and especially in cases where they can watch the children without parents knowing, eg looking over into the back garden.

Like other people have said, parents should be protecting their children as much as they can, so that even if they do find out there's a sex offender in the area, there's nothing more to do to protect them than they are already doing.

In cases like you pointed out Becky, with sex offenders being able to watch children when they are playing in their own back garden - somewhere that should be safe for them - it shouldn't be an issue because sex offenders shouldn't be able to live so close to chidlren that they can do that.
    What really does concern me is that people talk about rehabilitation. Zella has said that her Grandad *got let off*, how can he have been rehabilitated if he was released ? He cant have been rehablitated so how do we know people like him are not released on a regular basis and they could go out and do the same thing again.

The system is in a shambles, get me into the court system and id make sure if people did any crime they would do the time, especially if they did sexual offences to children. Children must be scarred for life after being at the hands of a peado, a peado gets sent down for however long but the child will probably have nightmares, wet the bed, be frightened for a very long time after, it really screws them up and then you hear about cases where they get let off...........It stinks.
    thing is i know my grandad would never do anything like it again cos there are no more young choldren in our family. (he only ever went near family members) he never touched us tho...just made us watch him wank.
    thing is tho i know he wouldnt do it again he still dnt think what he did was "wrong" im not really sure what else i can say here.
    thing is tho i know he wouldnt do it again he still dnt think what he did was "wrong" im not really sure what else i can say here

How do you know he wouldnt do it again ?
    He didnt think he was in the wrong, that is really bad and it disgusts me that people are allowed out in this big bad world thinking that its ok to sexually abuse.

Obviously ive said earlier I feel no remorse for you, but he should not be allowed out in society when he believes he did nothing wrong !!!!!!!
    i *know* he wont do it again cos he only went for family members....and by the time there are anymore young kids in our family he will be long gone. thats how i know!
    why should sex offenders have the chance to do it again? Even if they wouldnt re-offend, why would anyone think that they have the right to have a normal life again? They should think of the concequences before they do it.
    i *know* he wont do it again cos he only went for family members....and by the time there are anymore young kids in our family he will be long gone. thats how i know!

While he still accepts he did nothing wrong there is a chance he could do it again.

Sorry, but accepting that you have done wrong is part of the rehabilitation, if he's still in denial then he aint over nothing and if he was in certain circumstances then he could re-offend.
    I can see the arguments for wanting to know who the offender is, however knowing who he/she is can have serious conscequences.
    Just because you know his name, doesn't mean anything. I have a VERY unusual last name, but there are about 50 people living near me with the same name as me, not including those who are exdirectory.

Then there is the targetting of the innocent. All too often vigilante groups have made the lives of people who have nothing to do with the offender, all because they have information from someone they "trust". Take the guy who murdered Holly and Jessica, his mum and dad had nothing to do with it, but mindless mobs assumed that because they shared a last name they must share every other desire to rape and kill a small child.

I trust my friends, but it's unwise to believe everything they always say, doesn't matter what job they do. Lots of people believe that because they have some sort of job involving computers for example they are suddenly an expert on them, take shop assistants for example.
    If your friend is a child protection officer, then she has put her own job at risk by telling you this information. She could lose her job, and when vigilante groups start turning up at the offender's house he'll want to know how they knew, he'll find out and sue your friend for a few hundred thousand for violation of the data-protection act. Tell me, how does that make people in your area safer?

The most likely result, apart from you and your friends being arrested is for the offender to simply dissapear. Just because he is a sex offender, doesn't mean he has to report all his whereabouts, it is very easy for someone to simply vanish, move away, to another country perhaps, somewhere he can commit his crimes without fear of being discovered. Yes, your problem is solved but you've created a problem for someone else, something that I believe is very selfish.

The best option is to either keep them imprisoned, or to leave them their anonyminity. They will no longer be able to find a job, or do anything that exposes them to the public eye, they become prisoners in their own home. And, if something does happen, the police know the first place to look. And I say IF because the re-offending rates for rapists, murderers and paedophiles are, statistically the lowest. Once you've been sentenced to 10 years in prison for something, it is very unlikely for you to risk your freedom for another 10 years there.