Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Peak Flow Meter

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right i have been given one, what is normal breathing rate? i have not been told but it is annoying the fact it keeps varying one doc has told me 500 and another 350 so what should i be aiming for and when should i worry coz its round the 350 mark yet i have been able to blow 500, i know this should be in health but is there anyone that knows, I am 18 and 5ft 2" thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    my bro has one of them, but hes only 13 and hes been told to try nad get over 350, so if ur 18, id say tryin 2 get over 500 wud be ur target. then again, he's 5'5 and ur only 5'2, and i suppose it wud also depend on ur height.
  • Options
    i got 600 there now
  • Options
    It depends on your age, height and physical condition.

I took mine there and got 480.
  • Options
    i am completely anit physical (roar) i am 6ft and 10.5 stone and 17 . wonder is 600 good for my condition.
  • Options
    Its horrible coz i have never had any probs but all of a sudden i cannot beathe as well and it make me panick more not being able to get the breath out :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by lazybstard
    i am completely anit physical (roar) i am 6ft and 10.5 stone and 17 . wonder is 600 good for my condition.

i can get bout 700 and im 5'8 and 10 stone.
  • Options
    forgot 2 add that i am very active though...
  • Options
    About 450-500 in 'normal' but what the heck is normal anyway?

last weekend I ended up in the emergancy deptartment at 6 in the morning having an asthma attack (not had one for about 15 years so didn't have an inhaler anymore)

on my first attempt I got 100, then had another go and got it to 200. after taking an inhaler and waiting for 15 minutes it was back to 450-460.

I wish I could do 600+
    *DEVIL* Its horrible coz i have never had any probs but all of a sudden i cannot beathe as well and it make me panick more not being able to get the breath out

after last weekend I know what this panic i like you have my sympathy - our doctor has an asthma clinic which is more than just dishing out drugs - perhaps you can get to one of these. It maight be hayfever as well.
  • Options
    I have asthma and I have a peak flow meter. It depends on you physical condition, age and height. Mine is normally about 300 but it can vary from anything between 250-430. I'm 16, about five foot and 8 stone 6.
  • Options
    yeh, i think hobbs is rite, what is normal???? if the doctor sed u shud be gettin such an amount, because tests have shown that ppl ur age shud be doin this that and the other with a peak flow meter, its all a loada shit, coz we r all unique and not like anyone else!
  • Options
    Yes,whatever we get on the peak flow is what we get, thats who we are.
  • Options
    any way, the breath test thing dont matter, you could have cancer or die from being hit by a bus. :yes: