Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

PopStar/American Icon

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Why do we watch shows about people becoming stars? Do we like the music or do we picture ourselves becoming stars?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i personally the music is crap,normally, but i did get into the irish "your a star" and i thought the singin was very good.
    this kind of show produces the hight of manuefactured bands, it is really stupid. you cant put 5 or so people together and expect them to make a good band. any way a band is not just singers but musicians also who should wirte their own music. if they dont in my opinion they are just like the speaker and not the music or inspiration.
    These type of programs are just a money grabbing scheme for many people involved, they produce crap music to be honest and is just basically pure crap.

When many people here music they think the singer is the best part of the band but they are terribely wrong, the guitar and drum players are every bit as important as the singer.
    yeh, i agree shogun. also i agree with lazybstard, as u can just out 5 ppl together and hope they will like eachother, thats y proper bands, like rock bands hardly ever spliy up, they have met eachother themselves and they have known eachother for a long time.
    i think the key thing is the person who writes the song, the song would not exist without there help. the singers should not take teh credit for it. :no:
    yeh, its "bands" like westlife and whatnot i hate, they take all the credit for the song and all they do is read words off a page which has been handed 2 them.
    Originally posted by Seven_VII
    yeh, its "bands" like westlife and whatnot i hate, they take all the credit for the song and all they do is read words off a page which has been handed 2 them.

my thoughts exactly how true. as i said they are only the speaker and not the artists :no:
    disgraceful, lol. u wonder how ppl in the pop buisness make money, do ppl not catch on that they r singin bout stuff that they didnt even write???!?!
    All that matters now adays is that the music sounds good, so what if its manufactured crap many would say, it sounds good, people like it, thats it, nothing after that, their decision is made.
    thats all well and good till they become loved and they break up after a year r 2 and ppl will be saddened by this, especially younger ppl.
    you children like pop music because it is always on television. if rock was always on they would like it. :chin:
    rock is avaible to the youth....kerrang, channel 454 on sky and others.

If rock music was on the radio more often than what it is today then more people would like it of course, they are being exposed to new things and people like new things.
    but you have to admit that pop is on television much more than rock with different adverts and music channels. :yes:
    Yes i do admit that but there should be more rock on the adverts, it would get more attention and be good for business.
    Sure metallica's music is being used in Iraq by the usa for interogratting prisoners.
    Originally posted by lazybstard
    you children like pop music because it is always on television. if rock was always on they would like it. :chin:

nah, children like pop because its aimed more at them than rock is, rock isnt aimed at kids - the image, the videos etc are aimed at those who are older. Pop, however, is marketed at kids, the image is squeeky clean to be a good role model to kids etc.

A lot of pop music has no real depth, no particular talent behind it, lyrics are straight forward and easy to understand and requires no thinking. Kids understand it.

And, growing up, some kids listen to pop music because theyre developing their first crushes and not many 9 year olds want a crush on a rocker theyre all interested in the pretty boy. A pop boy.
    As a 19 year old bloke who likes pop music (and with mates who listen to rock music), I can see what you're all saying.

For me, it's because I want to listen to pop. I don't really care if the majority of people think it's "manufactured crap", because that means fuck all to me. If something sounds good to me, I'll listen to it. And that mainly means I listen to pop a lot.

To me, I think rock music is crap. That's my opinion. In my experience, I think a lot of people are down on pop because it's not seen as "cool" to listen to it. They'd rather listen to what their friends listen to. That is a generalised comment, but I've seen it for myself.

And I'm willing to bet a lot more "rock music" fans actually watched a bit of Pop Idol than would let on :p