Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A2 General Studies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Anyone else do this today? What a random subject........... Guess the name is a slight giveaway.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The whole AS General Studies lessons I've had have been a waste of time, rather like GCSE RE was! A chance to mess around and everyone bunks. They don't seem to count for much, and you can't really revise for the exams, which are just common sense anyway.
  • Options
    Not the case at A2 unfortunately- you actually have to learn stuff!! I did a paper today about genetics where you actually had to be knowledgeable about it!! A/S is ridiculous though I agree, no amount of lessons can prepare you for the sheer random-ness, you can't teach someone to pass A/S General Studies. It's basically general knowledge and intelligence. If you've got those things you'll be fine, if you haven't then, erm, you probably won't!
  • Options
    Yeah totally different to A/S isn't it. I need the whole A-level as well. If you can remember, what sort of things did you include in your answers to the respective questions? I'm the only one who is doing it at my school so I have no one to compare with!!
  • Options
    I did the A2 general studies paper yesterday - everyone at my school has to do it! Mine was with Edexcel though and had nothing about genetic engineering on it....at least I hope not :confused::(
  • Options
    Ah right mine was OCR.......
  • Options
    Did you choose to do general studies or was it compulsory at your school/college?
  • Options
    I chose to do it, because my general knowledge is pretty good and so it was a way of picking up more points. General Studies is actually becoming a more acceptable subject by the big universities. Liverpool, Sheffield,Leicester and Leeds (and that's the 'proper' university in those cities) ALL accept general Studies as one of 3 A-levels to do my chosen course (Law). Hence I am allowed entry on the basis of getting AAB from History, French and General Studies.
    I think at a lot of schools A/S is compulsory, but A2 isn't compulsory at many at all. Very few students do A2 General studies, around 1000 I believe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by .NK
    I did the A2 general studies paper yesterday - everyone at my school has to do it! Mine was with Edexcel though and had nothing about genetic engineering on it....at least I hope not :confused::(

Yeah. we do that one. And no genetic engineering!
    We all had to do AS in january, and we had to specifically say if we didnt want to do A2. My courses wont accept it, but as they pointed out, it might come in useful should i happen to drop a grade.

The only thing they taught us that was relevent was the types of arguement and knowledge- and that was only a photocopied A4 sheet! There were some optional lessons, but the ones I went to werent very relevent but I figured the time had come to actually learn abit about the way the country is run!

I quite enjoyed it actually. :eek2:
  • Options
    General studies is the biggest waste of time, ever. What a load of bollocks, hard bollocks though!. I want those three hours of my life back.

Seriously though, unless you're using it to get into uni, what is the point?

On 'Have I got news for you' they compared general studies to cycling proffiency or the 25 metres swimming badge. Heh, I thought it was very fitting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    General studies is the biggest waste of time, ever. What a load of bollocks, hard bollocks though!. I want those three hours of my life back.

On 'Have I got news for you' they compared general studies to cycling proffiency or the 25 metres swimming badge. Heh, I thought it was very fitting.

Heh, that was such a funny HIGNFY!

Yeah, i did A2 General Studies yesterday, but with AQA specification A. I ddin't think it was too bad, but i mean, please, half of it was multiple choice! Wasn't too hard...
  • Options
    AS and A2 Gen Studs are forced upon us. Damn, A2 sounds harder :( I did Biology for AS this year, so must have some clue about genetics.... (you'd think that wouldn't you!), although there wasn't much work on genetics; more DNA and mitosis and meiosis. *shudders* I am SO dropping Bio!
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown

I find it pretty interesting. I like debating my point, even though i'm not all that good at it. And the point is to broaden your knowledge of the world. All my school basically said was learn the types of knowledge and read a decent newspaper (or more than one to get a more balanced view) every week to keep track which is what i try to do anyway- Its a good school full of surposedly intelligent young people, they dont see the need for us to do any more.

I got a B at AS (missed an A by one mark :mad:) by knowing the difference between a deductive and inductive arguement and applying my general knowledge. No one who actually attempted the exam (rather than doodling/writing an essay on the pointlessness of the subject) got below a D. Its hardly hard- you just apply what you probably should know about the world by the time you're 18.

One of my friends considers it a chance to practice her creatice writing ;)
  • Options
    I just believe if you're intelligent that will be shown through your chosen A-levels grades.

The essays were fine, except the scientific ones. All my subjects are essay based, but I'm not confident mathematically.

I went to one general studies class for twenty minutes, in which time we concluded that the War against Iraq was wrong. I like to debate, but not for four and a half hours in exam conditions.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Museman
    I did a paper today about genetics where you actually had to be knowledgeable about it!!

Just out of interest, was it questions aimed specificaly at the science behind how they do it, or was it about the moral and social reasons why genetic engineering should/shouldnt be allowed?
  • Options
    The question related to the effects on socciety of the development and usage of things like IVF/engineering/cloning etc........ There will always be people who say General Studies is bollocks, and I would tend to agree that a lot of it is over-analytical. HOWEVER I do believe it is more use to people than doing certain subjects where the skills you learn aren't transferable to real life. At least general Studies (moreso at A2 than A/S) looks at relevant and topical issues. And yeah if it gets me into Uni, then frankly I dont care what it involves :p
  • Options
    Completely agree with Museman - General studies isn't a waste of time! For a start, all you need to revise are the types of knowledge and argument, the rest is fairly straightforward. That doesn't take up a lot of time...particularly if you have optional lessons (I had compulsory ones and I didn't think they were a waste of time)

I'm relying on general studies if my biology grade slips - Nottingham have said that if I get a high gs grade then I will be accepted with a C in biology rather than a B.

I can also use general studies to get into Leicester (as Museman said) if I don't get into Nottingham.

Even if the unis you've applied to don't accept it, it'll be taken into consideration when you apply, especially if you only do maths and sciences cos it shows you can write essays.

If you can do it as an option alongside your other three A levels (like at my school) that's even better. That way you have an advantage over people who are doing three A levels or less.
  • Options
    Hmmmm. Had "Cultural Perspectives" (think thats what it was called) this morning. Twas an.... interesting exam :yes:
    Dont have a clue how i did though as we dont really know what the examiner is looking for- apart from 6 marks for clearly showing which arguements etc you used.

If anyone else did it I did 1 and 2- the ciminal one and the one with Einstein mentioned.
  • Options
    I can understand why some people would want to do General Studies, but I don't think it should be compulsory - those studying A levels at either sixth form or college I believe are mature enough to be able to make their own choices about which subjects they take, and should be able to evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of taking general studies.

Although a few universities do accept General Studies the vast majority don't, and there are some people who have achieved such good grades and participate in so much outside of school that they just don't need the General Studies qualification. I can understand taking it if perhaps you think you may need it (because you're not going to do as well in your other subjects, for example), but the choice should be yours.

Personally I attended every General Studies lesson given before my AS exam, and I still found I had difficulity in answering a lot of the questions, especially the maths and science based ones. I just think the whole subject is a waste of time for those that it is enforced upon when they have absoloutely no interest in taking it whatsoever.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Luce
    The whole AS General Studies lessons I've had have been a waste of time, rather like GCSE RE was!
    The problem with GCSE RE is that the majority of people who take it are lazy arses who think it is an easy subject. It doesn't take much to get to grips with and even as an atheist found it ejoyable and pretty easy. Hence my top grade in it. :)
    As for general studies, once again, people think it is going to be piss easy yet people who don't have much general knowledge take it just to have another A Level under their belt. At my school you had to take a past paper to be allowed to do the A-Level because they only wanted people how were likely to pass to do it. I got a top grade in that too, even though it is (as admited by the examiners) an exam designed for English Language, maths, science and geography students and I didn't do anything like that. :)

Anyway, ramble over. No sympathy. :p
  • Options
    Hmmmm. Had "Cultural Perspectives" (think thats what it was called) this morning. Twas an.... interesting exam

Lol, was 'Contemporary World' (apparently....not quite sure how it fitted in to the essay questions! :eek2: )

I did the cultural heritage and media essays....wish I'd done the criminal one instead of heritage though! :( And stating the different types of knowledge for SIX marks?! I didn't really know what to write for it...

At least they're over - no more general studies, yay! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by .NK
    Lol, was 'Contemporary World' (apparently....not quite sure how it fitted in to the essay questions! :eek2: )

Yeah, thats the one! :thumb:
    We were just told to add a paragraph towards the end saying

"I believe i have presented a ______ conclusion based on an in/de-ductive arguement. I have used ______ knowledge in such and such a place, and argued from such and such here."

So i just put that. Dont know if it'll work though, since i didnt really make it clear where I used the knowledge or anything, just said that I did and vaguely said where...
    English Language, maths, science and geography students
    I'll hold my hand up as a the last two... And I think Bussiness playes a large part in it aswell, bigger than Geography. For our syllabus anyway.

Only one exam left :D
  • Options
    We weren't told about having to say what types of knowledge we used...I only found out when I got into the exam!:(

Luckily knew them from the other papers...but found it hard to phrase it without just saying "I included this type of knowledge because it's better" etc....oh well....
  • Options
    Originally posted by faerielights
    Hmmmm. Had "Cultural Perspectives" (think thats what it was called) this morning. Twas an.... interesting exam :yes:
    Dont have a clue how i did though as we dont really know what the examiner is looking for- apart from 6 marks for clearly showing which arguements etc you used.

If anyone else did it I did 1 and 2- the ciminal one and the one with Einstein mentioned.

ah i had that one, my answer to einstein one was "it is moments in time that last forever and change the future,and mathematical equations only model things, and therefore can change over time!" thats my whole answer for a 25mark question!!!!

gneral studies is that important i didnt mention it on my ucas, (im doing chemistry with maths at ucl) and i still got a great offer, BBC which im quite certain i killed from how i done in my exams and what the tutors showed us after :P