Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Not Made For The Job But Works Great

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have any tips for stuff that was made for one purpose but does great used for something else?

For instance I've found SuperDrug's Purple Massage Oil (Don't know if they still make it)

Is great for applying to the face before applying shaving gel and then shaving - makes the blade glide so smoothly ... it also makes your hair so smooth if you rub a little in. Sounds weird but work so well!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    johnsons baby oil is good for a bath oil and eye make up remover and its good for afro hair or any hair really......johnsons baby lotion is good for eye make up remover too. sugar is a good facial exfoliant. clear nail varnish to stop tights from laddering if you get a hole. tights as a temp fan belt! toothpaste for drying out spots and making lovebites fade. sorry these are all girly things-well nearly! eat honey to cure hayfever. Im sure I know loads more...ill let ya know if I remember!
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    johnsons baby oil is good for a bath oil and eye make up remover and its good for afro hair or any hair really......johnsons baby lotion is good for eye make up remover too. sugar is a good facial exfoliant. clear nail varnish to stop tights from laddering if you get a hole. tights as a temp fan belt! toothpaste for drying out spots and making lovebites fade. sorry these are all girly things-well nearly! eat honey to cure hayfever. Im sure I know loads more...ill let ya know if I remember!

hey I've been telling people about the Honey thing in the health section .. don't think no one believes me!! Honey also good for spots if applied to the face and good for healing burns.

I find polo necks good for covering up love bites!!!

oooh .. lots of suggestion .. you are a clever girl!! :)
    The honey tip only works if the honey is native to the area you are in, i thought?
    If you eat raw onions it clears phlegm in your throat if you have a cold...... but who can stand eating raw onion?!
    Originally posted by Luce
    The honey tip only works if the honey is native to the area you are in, i thought?
    If you eat raw onions it clears phlegm in your throat if you have a cold...... but who can stand eating raw onion?!

Raw onion is delish :yum:
    some shower gels can be used for hair too

I thought this too but stuff from other places cures mine ;)
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    :yuck:
    Vinegar cleans silver and mixed with water cleans glass.....use newspaper and its even better! avocado mashed up is a good face pack.
    V V you surprise me with yor vast knowledge of cool stuff :p Cheers kiddo - I'll keep those in mind! :D:D
    Originally posted by TempleOfDreams
    V V you surprise me with yor vast knowledge of cool stuff :p Cheers kiddo - I'll keep those in mind! :D:D

mate ive got a head full of useless information!! I really have!! I read crap all the time!! tips n stuff like that!! I know loads more just cant think!!!! Anytime you need to know summit really stupid and pointless...come my way!;)
    Those mini massages for the head etc which slips on a finger...well it's good for somewhere else apparently.

Same as some other massaging product when turned upside down.

Just search boysstuff :p

ROFL :D
    heres another...those annoying aol cds make cool coasters for your bedroom!!!
    Originally posted by Xila
    Those mini massages for the head etc which slips on a finger...well it's good for somewhere else apparently.

Same as some other massaging product when turned upside down.

Just search boysstuff :p

ROFL :D

and jelly soap dishes with knobbles on are good for giving a wank!! seen that on a program last night!!! and shower heads sprayed on clit on full power is good too...here we go again...smutsville!
    mate ive got a head full of useless information!! I really have!! I read crap all the time!! tips n stuff like that!! I know loads more just cant think!!!! Anytime you need to know summit really stupid and pointless...come my way!;)

Winner :D
    Originally posted by jacaranda

So can shampoo. God, I'm useful.

What's that thing where if you put beer or some alcohol thing (God, memory, where did you goooo?!) on your hair it makes it...something? Ugh, the word that instantly comes to mind is smelly but it's meant to do something.

And if you mix cola with water and use it on your hair in a spray thing it's meant to do something too. Something to do with curly hair. Ugh. Ok, I'm really not useful but I tend to just buy things rather than mixing random stuff up. :p

Ignore me. :(
    Vinegar cleans silver and mixed with water cleans glass.....use newspaper and its even better! avocado mashed up is a good face pack.

In Africa they use old news papers to dry down car windscreens - it works really well and leave no watermarks or streaks unlike most cloths.

And I think Vicky is right all honey will stand some chance of helping people with HayFever - but I think most people recommend the rawer type (with the honey comb inside) and if possible one made from local flowers.
    Oh just thought of another (not really fashion related by oh well)

Hot water or any heat can revive a dead battery - works mostly on Camera batteries - cold tempretures make a camera battery go flat very quickly - espacially if you use the flash, but by sticking a battery under a bathroom hand dryer I got it working for a few more shots. Hot water works as well but first you need to stick it in a plastic bag waterproof bag.
    Originally posted by DaisyChainThing
    What's that thing where if you put beer or some alcohol thing (God, memory, where did you goooo?!) on your hair it makes it...something? Ugh, the word that instantly comes to mind is smelly but it's meant to do something.

Beer is supposed to make it really shiney, as is vinegar. Never tried it though, can't imagine either would smell very nice!

Completely unrelated to the subject but anyway!
    Apparently, If you rub half an onion on the sole of your foot, a few minutes later you can taste it in your mouth! Never tried it tho! x
    Originally posted by Faith
    Beer is supposed to make it really shiney, as is vinegar. Never tried it though, can't imagine either would smell very nice!

It does work - poor a can of beer over your hair (or get into a bit of a beer fight) & when you wash it out you'll have beautiful glossy locks :yes:
    Ooooh I Got One! (or 3)

If you have run out of nail polish... put a coat of clear nail polish over the top of your existing nail polish, and rub with a cotton wool pad... it comes right off :D

Another nail one:
    If you need a quick refresher... like for yellow nails, or not so sparkly ones.. get a bowl of water and put in some Bicarbonate of Soda, soak your nails and bam! lovely looking clean white nails :D

Wonderbra's Make wonderful bikini tops hehe

Oh, and if a button has come off your fave top, and u only have white cotton, simply colour the cotton in with the same colour felt tip pen as the top! tada!

Blisteeze makes a lovely lipgloss!

You can revive an old stodgy nail polish by simply pouring a small amount of nail polish remover into the affected bottle!

Belly bars make great earings!!

If you don't like using fake tan.. simply put a small amount of fake tan into a daily moisturiser, and you've got urself a gently bronzing moisturiser :D

To revive limp looking hair, dampen with warm water and blow dry hair upside down... throw head back and tease with fingers and you have a lovely volume head of hair!

That's it for now... I'll be back with more top cheats though :D
    If you put dead batteries in your bra for a few hours, they recharge. Apparently.
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    If you put dead batteries in your bra for a few hours, they recharge. Apparently.

:lol:

Need you be wearing it at the time?

Wow I am so tempted to try that as the batteries in my discman have run out.....:chin:
    Preperation H gets of bags under the eyes! If ive had a heavy night, this sorts my mincey pies out!
    Preperation H gets of bags under the eyes! If ive had a heavy night, this sorts my mincey pies out!
    Sorry, But I didn't catch any of that! :confused:
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Sorry, But I didn't catch any of that! :confused:

mincey pies = eyes :D
    if ya have bags under them, preperation h cream reduces the swelling
    oh and ladies...blokes too if your inclined that way....
    if your out on the town in heels and they are hurting...neat vodka numbs them!

I think that's like my heating battery suggestion - probably the body heat!!

I think the hemeroid cream can also be used to shrink spots??
    heres another...those annoying aol cds make cool coasters for your bedroom!!!
    my brothers mate stuck em all together shiny side out and they make a cool artsy mirror
    Originally posted by Faith

when i was at a reel big fish gig, the trumpeter emptied a can of beer over my head (when the played their song beer) and the next day my hair was gorgeous

(and yes before you start i know i should of drunk it but o well it was baking)