Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Contraceptive Patch

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know when or if the contraceptive patch which is avaliable in america will be coming out over here? I've read a bit about it online, and as i've recently become crap at taking my pill (after being on it for almost 3 years!:rolleyes: ) i was looking at other forms of contraception, but i've heard so many bad reports about the injection that i don't really want to use that.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've heard bad things about the patch in terms of how it interacts with any other medication you may be on.

A friend told me the patch shouldnt be available in the Uk for a while because its gotta be all cleared etc - I dont think its even widely used (asked an American friend) in the USA :s

You could try buying it if you go over to the states though - dont know if you need a prescrption for it or what, but youll probably have to pay a fair amount for it.
    Arse. In that case i'll just carry on forgetting to take my pill for a while.
    its out tomorrow.

Im going to see my doctor about it thursday. should be interesting.
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    Arse. In that case i'll just carry on forgetting to take my pill for a while.

you could try the injection?
    Originally posted by clara
    you could try the injection?

She said she didnt want to use that because of bad reports she's heard.
    AAAAAAnnnnnnnnnd... i've been on the contraceptive patch for three weeks now :) Apart from being really ugly, it seems quite good, has calmed down my mood swings no end, which i hadn't even realised might be connected to the pill as i'd been on it for so long!

So, i like it a lot, but if you don't want people to know about it, it isn't great, particularly for the summer - the places you have to stick it mainly show if you're wearing vest tops, and trust me on this - sticking it to your arse does not work. It moves. And comes off. And gets stickyness all round the edge. And is generally quite uncomfortable :)
    Originally posted by badabing
    its out tomorrow.

Im going to see my doctor about it thursday. should be interesting.

Nah, it's been out for about a month now.

It's quite good - see my post above about it :)
    oh cool alright, thanks for the info x
    Hmmm, as you say Sara it can't look too good in the summer when you're wearing a vest top or a bikini! Where are you meant to wear it?

I'm going to the doctor's soon to renew my pill prescription but I might ask her about the patch, so tell me before Monday what you think of it! :)
    I was going to post a topic about this. It seems like a good idea but the fact that it's visible would put me off.

I have trouble believing that a teeny little yellow pill is going to stop me getting pregnant, so I think I'd have real problems trusting something which looks like a sticky plaster. I'm ok about taking my pill on time, touch wood, so I think I'll stick with that for now.

Does the patch come in different levels of hormones like the pill does? Can you get progesterone only patches? As some people can only use these due to family histories of illness, or if they smoke apparently it's better to be on the mini pill rather than combined pill. So is that possible with the patch as well?
    i know that this might be a stupid question but does it not come off in the shower?? and like someone said before where does it have to be stuck can you not stick it on your boob under your bakini top or somthin?
    Originally posted by Mel-H
    i know that this might be a stupid question but does it not come off in the shower?? and like someone said before where does it have to be stuck can you not stick it on your boob under your bakini top or somthin?

Nah, it doesn't come off in the shower, although i was really paranoid about that for ages!

You can't stick it on your boob unfortunately, as they are really sensitive to hormonal changes, so having the patch on one of them could cause it to change shape or produce milk or something random like that :eek2:

Perfect***Day, take a look a couple of posts above your reply - it has what i think about it there :)

And yeah, i didn't trust my pill when i went on it, teeny tiny yellow pill doesn't feel like it's going to keep me from getting pregnant! Seems to have worked though :) I think at the moment there's only the one type avaliable, which is combined, so i don't know - it carried the same risk as the combined pill.
    I work in a GPs surgery and you would not believe how many women rang up today to ask about the new patch! They had seen it on the news and now they all want apointments with the doctor to change over.

We have to ask them if they're overweight, because our doctor will not prescribe it for anyone who is even slightly porky. :)
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I work in a GPs surgery and you would not believe how many women rang up today to ask about the new patch! They had seen it on the news and now they all want apointments with the doctor to change over.

We have to ask them if they're overweight, because our doctor will not prescribe it for anyone who is even slightly porky. :)

Oh yeah - it works less well on people who are over 14stone.

That would be why :)