Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Exam & Subject Help/Advice

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My Grandmother - Elizabeth Jennings
    Piano - DH Lawrence
    At Castle Boterel - Thomas Hardy
    Attack - Siegfried Sasson
    Anthem for Doom Youth -Wilfred Owen
    Slough- Betjeman
    No more Hiroshimas- James Kirkup
    Belfast Confetti - Ciaran Carson
    Cyndyllan on a tractor and Soil - RS Thomas
    The Jaguar- Ted Hughes
    In Mrs Tilscher's Class- Carol Ann Duffy
    Scottish students

hey all those scottish students iv just finished my last exam but anyone studying

Advanced Higher; Geography,music
    higher;Chemistry,French,English,Maths
    Int 2;Media studies
    Credit;Physics, Graphic Communications

iv sat all these exams so if ur planning on studying one of these next yr i can tell u bout the courses r any questions

cya suga x
    How long has this been a sticky for?! I've only just seen it... :( Anyway, moving on....

I can't claim to be good at any particular subject - I'm one of those people who forget everything as soon as I don't need it anymore! (and, more often than not, right when I do need it - ie an exam!) I did A2's in Psychology, Business Studies and General Studies and an AS in Economics (which I failed, so don't even ask!) and, thinking back, my best GCSEs were Child Development (so far, I think I'm the only one who took this one on here!) and Food Technology - you never know, I might remember a pearl of wisdom right when it's needed! :)

In reply to "how to up your marks in an exam" (besides revision), I would say, learn how to answer questions properly. One thing I do remember from my A2s was constantly being told to give a full answer, especially in evaluation questions - for example, depending on what they've asked of course, weigh up the pro's and con's for each option, explaining them fully as you go, then conclude your answer completely at the end. This way you should manage to show more knowledge and show your evaluation skills. If you've ever seen a mark scheme (and if you haven't, I suggest you do, pronto!), I bet you were suprised by exactly how many points you get for your evaluation.

One of my major downfalls in my exams was that, most of the time, I didn't do as I've just said :rolleyes: I've seen my exam scripts after they've been marked (I got them back to see where I went wrong before I resat them), and a lot of the time I got zero for evaluation - yes, I put in all the points, but I didn't weigh it up and come to a conclusion, and ultimately, didn't answer the question! :mad:

I'm sure BumbleBee or someone still in education (or at least, who can remember what they were told!) could explain exactly how to answer a question a lot better than me, but at least the above is a starting point for you! :)
    Anyone knows the color a chemical reactin between iodine and zink gets?
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Anyone knows the color a chemical reactin between iodine and zink gets?

Iodine & zinc reacted together = purple
    You guys are too nice. Have pestered my question all over the board :)

Thank you!

Btw, know what happens if you burn regular Natrium, and if you burn NaCl?
    If you're talking about flame tests, both would turn the flame yellow/orange.
    Natrium is sodium (will burn in air to form sodium oxide) and NaCl is just a simple ionic compound (sodium chloride) - yellow/orange flame indicates the presence of sodium.
    Would you mind taking my exam for me? :p

Dearly appericiated.
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    ...thinking back, my best GCSEs were Child Development (so far, I think I'm the only one who took this one on here!)

Not any more :p

Well I'm only a young 'un with no more knowledge than that at GCSE, but I'll tell you what I've done anyway - Maths, English, Science (obv - not too good at any of them though :rolleyes: ), History (Medicine through Time and the American West 1840 - 1895), Music, Child Development, Textiles and Russian. Best subjects are probably Music, History, Russian and Textiles.

Crystal Tipps - I've got my Child Development exam next Thursday, and ironically the class missed out on loads of lessons because the teacher was on maternity leave. I know hardly any of the syllabus - covered everything up to birth, but nothing after, and nothing else apart from physical, intellectual, emotional and social development (because of the coursework). I got about 56% in the mock exam, which I think was a C, so any advice you can offer me on the exam would be absolutely fantastic!
    Lil Laura - It's been a while, but I've still got the books... Let me dig them out of the back of the wardrobe and I'll try to get back to you over the weekend if I find anything useful :)
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    Lil Laura - It's been a while, but I've still got the books... Let me dig them out of the back of the wardrobe and I'll try to get back to you over the weekend if I find anything useful :)

Ohh you are an absolute star! :)
    Goddammit, I've only just seen this thread as well... I'm such a goon :p

Well, I've got GCSE knowledge (pretty basic stuff really) in English, Maths, Science (I was crap at that though), Business Studies, Graphic Products, French, and History.
    I've got A-level knowledge on IT/ICT (whatever you want to call it :p) aaaaand English lit and lang combined.

Dunno if that'll help anyone, lol
    If anyone is having trouble with Physics, I may be thy saviour. I helped Jacqueline the Ripper out with some radiation stuff. I am a Master in Science ....meaning I have an MSci in Physics!:D

So fire away with your questions! :D
    I can help anyone with German, as it's one of the subjects i'm currently doing for A2, and want to take it at university.