Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

i need a summer job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm 17 and i need to get a summer job. hoping to get something a bit better than mcdonalds but i dont really know where to start?
any places like shops or cinemas or somethin that ppl think are worth checking out?

cheers
dan

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends what you want to do and what is around in the area you live in... Places like theme parks and holiday parks always need loads of staff in the height of summer, plus shops and other places who need people to cover for the permanent staff while they go on holiday.

The job centre should have details of summer jobs available, or try www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk. Often, big employers (such as theme parks, who employ lots of new staff every summer) have "open events" held at the local job centre for those interested to go along, find out about the job and register their interest (and also sometimes have on-the-spot interviews). You might have missed this now (would probably have been held back in April-May time) but, think about it - all those people who applied and got the jobs but have had to drop out for one reason or another (there are bound to be quite a few!) leaves lots of vacancies that might not have been advertised. If you fancy that kind of work, it might be worth phoning or writing to see if they have any vacancies.

Another idea is, ask friends who work in places you fancy working in - often, managers tell staff they could do with more people but they never get round to advertising the vacancies because they think they'll "muddle through" somehow. Especially if you think you have something to offer (such as being a quick learner (always helps!) and have an interest in the product they sell - be it clothes or computer games), you should get writing some letters, sharpish!

I got my job by calling in to meet my mate at the end of her shift and my (now) boss liked the look of me ( :confused: ) and asked me if I wanted to try out - you never know when you might strike lucky! :)

Good luck! :)
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    I got my job by calling in to meet my mate at the end of her shift and my (now) boss liked the look of me ( :confused: ) and asked me if I wanted to try out - you never know when you might strike lucky! :)

Good luck! :)

errr what exactly is your job?! :lol::confused:
    :rolleyes: SHould have seen that one coming really! :p

I'm a waitress in a rather posh (and very expensive) restaurant - and it was my mate's female boss who asked me to try out! :p