Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A2 Sociology of Religion exam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
anyone got the a2 sociology of religion exam tomorrow.

Can anyone explain to me the difference between a cult and a sect?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: A2 Sociology of Religion exam
    Originally posted by Shining on
    anyone got the a2 sociology of religion exam tomorrow.

Can anyone explain to me the difference between a cult and a sect?

I'm doing it as a retake. :( I've got the theory and methods exam during the same session as well. Great.

Some differences between cults and sects are:

Cults are frequently in conflict with society and their behaviour is often seen as deviant which can result in a moral panic.

Sects try to protect their members from the influences of the secular society and often become accepted amongst society.

Cults will generally accept other beliefs, whereas sects see themselves as being an elite group in society and insist on their members being loyal to them and them only.

Membership of cults is hard to calculate due to the fact that they don't require regular attendence and people move in and out of them frequently. Membership of sects is exclusive and easier to calculate as members must adhere to strict rules.

Hope that helps a bit. :)
    Yes, thats great.

Unfortunately i've only just come out of the exam and read it! But there weren't any questions on cults/sects etc.

How did you find it hellie? I thought it was quite tricky, and found myself writing stuff that was probably off the point at times. Never mind, i expect i've done better than i think i have
    Originally posted by Shining on
    Yes, thats great.

Unfortunately i've only just come out of the exam and read it! But there weren't any questions on cults/sects etc.

How did you find it hellie? I thought it was quite tricky, and found myself writing stuff that was probably off the point at times. Never mind, i expect i've done better than i think i have

I thought it was ok. I think I've done a lot better than I did in Jan! I wrote quite a bit but some of it probably wasn't at all relevant! :D It's the only exam I've done so far that I think I've done ok in, so I better had!

I've so failed the Theory and Methods paper though. :(
    Just started sociology A2, is it much harder than the first year?