Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

phobia

i have a huge phobia of spiders, i hate everything about them, i cant even look at a picture of one with out going off on one. i really dnt know what to do about it. i want it gone cos its starting to control my life in a way, i cant go to the contry side, i cant sit on the grass, i cant walk next to a bush and i cant even be out in my garden alone cos i start to panic. its really starting to scare me how these lil disgusting things are ruining my life.
can anyone give me any advice on what to do?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    realise that they are afraid of you. you have the power. what i did when i was scard of spiders was i picked one up and put it on my table. then i put my hands in its path whenever it tried to move. sounds quite nasty but it showed me that I had the control, and control is a lot what fear is about, you are scared because you cannot control them.
    It could be the speed at which they move that scares you.

For instance I wouldn't handle a little snake cos they move so fast and unpredictably and this is more what I don't like - however I have touched a huge snake, cos it was big and very, very slow moving.

I think spiders are the same, the smaller they are the faster they move, why not contact your local zoo and tell them about it, they might run courses on this sort of thing and let you touch their big spiders.

I know some airlines run courses for people afraid to fly.

You must confront the things you are afraid of to overcome it.

For instance I used to be really shy of dancing and thought I'd just go on the dance floor in a club and make a fool out of myself, when I was invited to go on the dance floor I'd just stand by the side - then by going on my own where no one knew me I tried and tried, now I reckon I'm pretty good cos girls hit on my on the dance floor all the time.
    I am afraid of spiders too. The most commen way to overcome phobias is to make contact with the problem. This has to be done gradually, my last boss was a therapist who delt with people with phobia and obssesive compulsive dissorders, she said to start by looking at pictures of small non threatening spiders and then progress to bigger pictures then she would introduce a box to room and tell her patient there was a spider inside completely shut in but still there. Next came the glass tank so they could see the spider but it couldn't get out. And over six months she would manage to have the patient there in the same room as the spider sometimes they would be able to touch the spider sometimes not. But the most important part is consistant regular exposure to spiders in an enviroment you find safe.
    i can understand, im terrified of frogs, i cant even watch them on the tv or look at them in a book, ide freak out or pass out if one was near me. even tiny little ones, i think i know why im scared but it doesnt make a damn bit o difference to how i feel about them. phobias are horrible!:nervous:
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    i can understand, im terrified of frogs, i cant even watch them on the tv or look at them in a book, ide freak out or pass out if one was near me. even tiny little ones, i think i know why im scared but it doesnt make a damn bit o difference to how i feel about them. phobias are horrible!:nervous:

How do you feel about Kermit and the muppets?
    funny you should ask that diamond geezer because(even at 24) i am a HUGE muppets fan and i love kermit. i have a kermit the frog in my room. he is the only frog i can handle!!!!:lol:
    Hello people!

I used to have a bog phobia of spiders, but put it down the fact that went I went down to see my grandparents -bless their souls- grandma used to hate them and trap them with a special spider catcher. I used to be terrified of them, I mean when I went camping I wouldn't go in to a tent with them and I hated it when they hung down on their thread from the ceiling.

However, I got over my fear. How?

Well I was about sixteen and this event called the Big Bug Show came to NEWI college. They passed around hissing cockroaches for people to handle, millepieds and at the front they had a chillean rose tarantula. I guess I just went up front and watched it, like how it moved. And then I plucked up the courage to handle it. It was about six inches long but didn't feel as heavy as I thought it would. Its feet kinda tickled and the fur on its legs were kitten soft.

Anyway, that's the best way to get over your fear. Find a safe place and conquer it.

I hate escalators :(
    I COULD NEVER EVER HANDLE A FROG!!!!! :no:
    One of my huge phobia's is spiders. I am really, totally terrified of them. I can't even stand a spider that is on a wall or anything, even if I'm not even close to it. I have to kill the damn thing.

Another one of my huge phobia's is snakes. I can't stand them. They are ugly creatures and they are scaling things and I just can't stand them.

Once again, another one of my huge phobia's is death. I just really fear death. I have seen too much death in my short 21 years of life and I fear that I will die young as well.
    have you tried hypnotherapy?

I have heard it is quite useful for intense (for lack of better word) phobias
    I'm arachnophobic too. The thought of being near one makes me freak, so I guess my only hope is to marry a guy who isn't afraid of the things :o
    lol yeah i'll have to do that too, i don't hate spiders and i'm not really all that scared of em, but i don't want to touch em
    Phobia advice

useful article above, plus it has a link to the phobic's website :)